Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,913,497 times

Advertisements

Apparently the child would have had a 99.9% chance of surviving had the parents sought medical treatment for the infant. Instead, they turned to the healing hands of prayer

Sentenced to 18 months, too short if you ask me.

Jury convicts Dale, Shannon Hickman of manslaughter in faith-healing trial | OregonLive.com

Isn't God great!!!
Working miracles evryday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 PM

16 posts, read 42,461 times
I wish i could have spoken to these people. I would have told them that god gave us brains. These brains have created a cure for your sons illness, god would not want that to go to waste.
I know alot of you dont belive that but i do. I believe that faith and science can co-exist peacefully but some people are just so hostile to that idea.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,898,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipper View Post
I wish i could have spoken to these people.
I doubt it would have made any difference. People become very convinced and entrenched in their beliefs, and almost immune from any outside/contrary opinion.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I doubt it would have made any difference. People become very convinced and entrenched in their beliefs, and almost immune from any outside/contrary opinion.
Agreed! I also suspect that any real aid, or medical attention is put into the "Get thee behind me Satan!" category. FAITH alone should be enough.....Yeah Right!!

Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,560,919 times
Quote:
I wish i could have spoken to these people. I would have told them that god gave us brains. These brains have created a cure for your sons illness, god would not want that to go to waste.
I know alot of you dont belive that but i do. I believe that faith and science can co-exist peacefully but some people are just so hostile to that idea.
Well god didn't give us brains, for we evolved, and there is no god...........

however.......

Religion clearly has the ability turn it off and leave the person functioning solely on the automatic process of the brain stem.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:01 AM

142 posts, read 249,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Agreed! I also suspect that any real aid, or medical attention is put into the "Get thee behind me Satan!" category. FAITH alone should be enough.....Yeah Right!!
You suspect that but you suspect that which is not true. Or at least I hope that you aren't entirely serious. There may be cases such as this one where people get carried away but this is not the norm. There would not be so many Christian hospitals if we believed that all you have to do is pray and nothing else.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
I agree. The majority of Christians do not really believe, deep down inside. They know that their God is made in their image and when they fight for 'God' they are fighting for their feelings of self - worth.

They know that it is is science and technology which has done most of what we come to rely on each day, every day. dragging God, Jesus and religion into it is just hi-jacking the accomplishments of science and technology as though God somehow deserved the credit.

But some of them really do go so far as to either be pulling such a risky con that it will blow up in their faces (as I think will happen with this raising pets from the dead thing) or it is pretty much taken seriously and followed to the 'logical' conclusion which leads to socially unacceptable phenomena such as the Phelpses.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,051,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

however.......

Religion clearly has the ability turn it off and leave the person functioning solely on the automatic process of the brain stem.
Yes, but if you're trying to get whacky faith-healing christians to use medicine, you won't get much honey if you use an atheist's argument: our brains evolved. Sometimes, you have to meet someone halfway (such as getting them to realize that their God gave them a brain to use) in order to have a common dialogue.

For instance, a good argument might be to find a Biblical passage in which medical practitioners are extolled as doing God's work. You may not believe it, personally - but it might help save someone's life, by using it with a christian.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:01 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,051,537 times
Quote:
Amen!

Or at least test their faith first on themselves. Demand that they pick up serpents, drink poison and not die (yes, I know it's an added section), move mountains by just having faith - once they have passed these tests, can they use faith-healing on someone else. Kind of like getting a diploma heh heh!

This will ensure that they never attempt to faith-heal anyone ever again.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 42,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

however.......

Its good that you've found your own answers in this life but i hope you respect the fact that i disagree. That bieng said, yes, some people need to open thier minds when it comes to scientific matters like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Amen!

Or at least test their faith first on themselves. Demand that they pick up serpents, drink poison and not die (yes, I know it's an added section), move mountains by just having faith - once they have passed these tests, can they use faith-healing on someone else. Kind of like getting a diploma heh heh!

This will ensure that they never attempt to faith-heal anyone ever again.
It could be a gameshow, kinda like Legends of the Hidden Temple(l miss the 90s, also look it up) except with grown ups.

(this part is not at you whoppers)
Anyway though, its terrible a child died because of his parents closed mindedness. But I also feel bad for the parents, although their inaction caused the childs death, they still did loose their child. Nobody deserves that. Lets hope they can find some peace in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality