Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 PM

591 posts, read 643,300 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else notice how in the OT, God has shown absolute ruthlessness against false prophets who lead people away from God, those that shower love and peace upon what is openly evil, idolitors..etc..? The Bible clearly states that is what God hates. While in the Islammic books what Allah hates is Christians and Jews. It is absoluty impossible to be both Christian and Islammic. God either hates you for loving what is evil, or he hates you for being a Christian or Jew. Either way there is a lot of anger. lmk

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

33,591 posts, read 37,230,635 times
In the OT, it seems to me that god didn't discriminate...He hated and killed almost everybody. He was an equal opportunity genocidal maniac. The so called great flood is the best example.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
In the OT, it seems to me that god didn't discriminate...He hated and killed almost everybody. He was an equal opportunity genocidal maniac. The so called great flood is the best example.
Way back when, he went to extreme measures to rid of evil. Eve believes in the lie that there is not a God who would care if she decided to sin, and then the whole world is believing it. He clearly does not like false teachings. THis time around, God sent Jesus to rid the world of Satan's influence. The influence telling you it is ok with God if you decide to lie, murder, rape, or anything else evil.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM

33,591 posts, read 37,230,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
Way back when, he went to extreme measures to rid of evil. Eve believes in the lie that there is not a God who would care if she decided to sin, and then the whole world is believing it. He clearly does not like false teachings. THis time around, God sent Jesus to rid the world of Satan's influence. The influence telling you it is ok with God if you decide to lie, murder, rape, or anything else evil.
Sorry, but you are just wriggling trying to justify god's genocidal character... According to the myths that you believe the only people in the world that were not evil at the time of Noah were Noah and his family...It is beyond my understanding why people continue to believe the things written in this bronze age book.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,014,346 times
If the God of the OT showed up in todays world in phyiscal form he/she/it would be in big trouble, the charges aganist God would be 1000's of counts of murder, extortion and others, could be procuted under the rico law also for rackettering. This God isn't a very nice God.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,516,442 times
Quote:
The so called great flood is the best example.
That's certainly a well know example, but I'm hesitant to call it the best.

I prefer the one where God killed all the first born sons in Egypt cause he was mad at the pharoah.
I like that example because it seems so clealy evil to pick out a random sample of children like that just to kill them the way God did. Heck, it wasn't even the pharoahs kids!

But I guess there are enough examples of evil acts by the OT God that everyone can have their favorite. (They way he screwed with Job was kind of awesome too!)To each their own!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,995 times
Quote:
Well, of course, look at his origins. He was one tiny little insignificant warmongering deity among many deities with much larger followings. His followers grew in size by murder, rape, genocide, war, enslaving other tribes, and just generally being arseholes to anyone that wasn't their tribe, and justified it by claiming they were "special" and their god wanted and commanded them to do it.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,679,975 times
Little Hamer, is this your God of the OT?

God on Trial: The Verdict - YouTube

Old 09-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That's certainly a well know example, but I'm hesitant to call it the best.

I prefer the one where God killed all the first born sons in Egypt cause he was mad at the pharoah.
I like that example because it seems so clealy evil to pick out a random sample of children like that just to kill them the way God did. Heck, it wasn't even the pharoahs kids!

But I guess there are enough examples of evil acts by the OT God that everyone can have their favorite. (They way he screwed with Job was kind of awesome too!)To each their own!

God was fighting evil and oppression. Jews were slaves. It's about civil rights for mankind. Muhammad teaches that Christians and Jews are to be treated like less than 3rd rate citizens. He treated Jews and Christians like dog poop. And all the while no Christian or Jew is allowed to even argue this point, or else they get banned. BUt God fights with the Rider and Christ. Once the truth about God's intense dislike for Muhammad sets in the minds of those that shower love on him, it will kill them spiritually. WHen they become enlightened, they will be without a God. They lose their identity. They die spiritually. With the right words we reap them. And God supplies them all with Jesus. Jesus will be with them once they accept him as who he trully is, and they will come to know God's compassion for them through ALL spiritual deaths, and ressurections. He is showing an incredible patience and love for them. More patience than I've had. I've wanted to just nuke the middle east and wipe my hands of them, but I lacked.

Last edited by Ball Pean; 09-01-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 04:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,107 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you are just wriggling trying to justify god's genocidal character... According to the myths that you believe the only people in the world that were not evil at the time of Noah were Noah and his family...It is beyond my understanding why people continue to believe the things written in this bronze age book.
I'm the rare guy in this forum, or so it seems. I am an atheist, but I wat to believe in God. It's selfish of me. I want to believe in god because the idea of death, a kind of endless darkness, doesn't sit well with me. My best escape from that seems to be god and his various post-life destinations for humans.

But see, you're right, a lot of that Biblical stuff doesn't make sense. It's rooted in way-back supernatural wizardry. Even the idea that "faith" is essential and is considered a positive trait (in reality it's a neutral trait) bothers me in that there's no logic to it. Anyhow, I've decided that maybe my best course of action is to conjure-up a new god. A different kind of god. Right now I'm thinking His sons and daughters (he has many sons and daughters), are cool folks who are friendly and go around helping people with their troubles. Sure, they will do stuff such as pull off the freeway to help a motorist change a tire. And in so doing these charitable acts, God's children sort of spread his message of kindness.

Okay, there aren't a lot of miracles there, but it's a first draft. Besides, a lack of miracles is kind of the idea. I'm trying to stay within the bounderies of what is plausible, at least in terms of such things as physics and quantum mechanics. On the down side, I still can't quite buy the idea that God's children are good-looking friendly folks going around doing good deeds. Another words, I can't readily accepting my own version of God. But I'll keep tweaking the concept and who knows, maybe by the time my days on earth are done, I'll actually believe in God and as I die I'm not just passing into nothingness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality