Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,610,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Man I hate those floaters, and they get worse as we age...On top of that I'm now hearing things..(Tinnitus)

Well it goes to show you that we can see and hear things that we cannot always explain. Now I never have and never will use that as an impetus to lie and tell people I have seen God, or some Angel, or something spiritual, in order to gain validity to my beliefs. I have had only one sighting in my 56 years, and I cannot explain what it was or meant. It was more weird than " Spiritual."

I was in my bed some 20 years ago, just lying there reading. At the time I had a recliner next to my bed, it was still daylight. A figure appeared on my chair, just materialized out of nowhere, and was just sitting there looking at me. It had a horses head and a mans face, and was cut off at the neck, just there on the chair. It didnot move or speak, it was just there.

I cleared my eyes, shook my head and tried to focus on it to be sure it was there. This lasted about two or three minutes, until I got over my fear and surprise and built up enough courage to try and touch this thing. As I reached through it, it just went away.

Now, this has never meant anything to me, nothing spiritual, no message hidden in it, but I saw this thing, I know I did. And I had 20-20 at the time. So I am convinced that we can see things, but each of us must interpit for ourselves what they meant. Mine meant absolutely nothing that I could understand, And I have no business in trying to make it mean anything.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,210,262 times
A notion.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
A notion.

Who knows, could be a notion.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,932,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well it goes to show you that we can see and hear things that we cannot always explain..
I thought he just explained it.

Look, I know what you are getting at. I have seen something that I can't explain to this day. But I know darn well I have no reason to use it as some support for secondhand theories about spirits and divine beings. It is simply 'Unexplained'. Your floaters are explained. Retinal images are explained. Tinnitus is explained, Voices in the head are now being explained, I believe that dizzy sppeded up feeling I get first thing is to be related to the incredible rapidity of dreaming - I don't know but I credit that more than trying to use it to prop up mythology.

There is a lot that still is unexplained but that is all they are and, in view of what has been explained and what is being explained - all without needing to involve spirits or supernatural beings - don't you think that the non - magical theory now deserves a bit of credit?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-24-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM

689 posts, read 552,540 times
A spirit is a lifeform as perceived by humans, which doesn't naturally reside in our realm. I think that spirits can be comprehended as life forms usually reside outside of our 3D spatile dimension where our physical bodies resides.

They may have "bodies" but may not be composed of materials located in our space/realm. Say, a cherub's body form is well shown in the Ark of Covenant. Sometimes they can be seen by us but not necessarily in their natural body forms. They can manifest themselves in various forms. They can be transparant but I don't think that this is generally true. On the other hand, I believe that our souls are transparant by default, perhaps that's why we need a physcal body to present our images to others. Other spirits may have their own natural body forms, though since we don't reside in the same space/dimension, we don't usually perceive them as "visible".

And I believe that God is invisible/transparant, more or less like our soul. And Jesus Christ can be thought as God's image just as how our body presenting us. Other spirits which are not supposed to show up in our realm but in the spiritual realms such as angels or fallen angels may take body forms, they are supposed to live in one of the spiritual realms and thus they have a body form to represent themselves to each other (i.e., to present themselves to other spiritual beings who are supposed to live in the same realm).

Last edited by Hawkins; 08-24-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I thought he just explained it.

Look, I know what you are getting at. I have seen something that I can't explain to this day. But I know darn well I have no reason to use it as some support for secondhand theories about spirits and divine beings. It is simply 'Unexplained'. Your floaters are explained. Retinal images are explained. Tinnitus is explained, Voices in the head are now being explained, I believe that dizzy sppeded up feeling I get first thing is to be related to the incredible rapidity of dreaming - I don't know but I credit that more than trying to use it to prop up mythology.

There is a lot that still is unexplained but that is all they are and, in view of what has been explained and what is being explained - all without needing to involve spirits or supernatural beings - don't you think that the non - magical theory now deserves a bit of credit?

I know there is more to life than physical explination and existence, thats why I like the bible, because it goes beyond science, beyond technology, beyond even religion, and gives humanity a kind of hope for the future, that no man made knowledge could ever give. Unlimited steps beyond! I'll stake my conscious belief on that.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 AM

33,642 posts, read 37,312,655 times
Quote:
I know there is more to life than physical explination and existence, thats why I like the bible, because it goes beyond science, beyond technology, beyond even religion, and gives humanity a kind of hope for the future, that no man made knowledge could ever give. Unlimited steps beyond! I'll stake my conscious belief on that.
I agree the bible goes beyond all these things, right into mythology, and there is no way I'll ever stake my future on a myth...Spirits, the soul, heaven, hell and eternal life are all myths that satisfy impossible hopes...This life is too short to waste my life on false hopes.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,932,053 times
Quote:
I understand totally what you are saying. I'll only say that my choice is to suspend belief in what does not seem to have sufficiently good evidential support. I don't like to be fooled, deceived or deluded, either by others or by myself.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I understand totally what you are saying. I'll only say that my choice is to suspend belief in what does not seem to have sufficiently good evidential support. I don't like to be fooled, deceived or deluded, either by others or by myself.

I don't like to be fooled either, thats why I pile the proof of God on to my consciousness daily; and have found the proof to be endless, and I am not afraid of that. I just posted on my other thread that one can go outside and breathe in some air; the air and your lungs are a perfect match, they were " Made" for each other, an obvious proof of God to me. You see, you can reach a point where you are consciously surrounded with even the simple proofs, and you can " Simply see them", or the consciousness can become so stubborn, and blind to God, you just can see nothing about him, your consciousness becomes a closed system to spiritual things.

This is another thing about " The Spirit", its already a different reality, but to some people, it will only be a closed system, they will never see this marvelous, non human existence. They can't see it on the Moon, they want to see it on Saturn, they long to see extratellestrial activity out in space, yet its occuring on earth everyday.

They just can't understand Spirit.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,920,770 times
Quote:
Well I think one definition of death, is when the spirit leaves the body and does not come back to it. I don't view the spirit as having anything to do with body chemicals, but I do think it is a kind of energy.

I do not think plants have a spirit, but they do have life for a time.
Plants die as well. They must have spirit of the kind one associates with other living beings.

If spirit is an energy with nothing to do with chemical reactions within the body, why must it leave when these chemical reactions come to a halt? It should, at least, sometimes stay even with no oxygen/ongoing chemical reaction within the body. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality