Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:21 PM

329 posts, read 1,102,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Modern Satanism is an invention of Midwestern evangelical creationists, used to inspire fear in the congregation.
Please explain this to the only surviving member of the slaughtered family who were on their way back from bible camp and shot execution style on the side of the interstate in a ditch (the father, mother, young daughter and two year old son) by Kentucky teenagers claiming to be "Satanists" about two or three years ago.

I'm sure the two year old who was shot in the head will understand that Satanists don't really exist... it's just a term made up by evangelicals to scare the Christian congregation.

It doesn't really MATTER what Satanism REALLY stands for, or how or when or even by whom it was invented!... it is defined NOW by the people who claim to be Satanists and their ACTIONS in the name of that disgustingly foul entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 02:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,091,533 times
I would say that just because somebody does something in the name of "something" doesn't necessarily mean that "something" is what it is.

and thats something to think about..

Old 08-16-2007, 02:28 PM

443 posts, read 1,544,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Please explain this to the only surviving member of the slaughtered family who were on their way back from bible camp and shot execution style on the side of the interstate in a ditch (the father, mother, young daughter and two year old son) by Kentucky teenagers claiming to be "Satanists" about two or three years ago.

I'm sure the two year old who was shot in the head will understand that Satanists don't really exist... it's just a term made up by evangelicals to scare the Christian congregation.

It doesn't really MATTER what Satanism REALLY stands for, or how or when or even by whom it was invented!... it is defined NOW by the people who claim to be Satanists and their ACTIONS in the name of that disgustingly foul entity.
So, by your logic, if these teenagers had claimed to have committed these acts in the name of a purple unicorn... we'd be justified in our fears of 'followers of the purple unicorn.'

People will always do crazy things. It isn't due to some massive, underground cabal of satanists, waiting in the wings to feed all christian americans to the lions.

Satanism may have a tiny sliver of actual followers, but isn't even prolific enough to be labeled a 'cult.'

Old 08-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
So, by your logic, if these teenagers had claimed to have committed these acts in the name of a purple unicorn... we'd be justified in our fears of 'followers of the purple unicorn.'

People will always do crazy things. It isn't due to some massive, underground cabal of satanists, waiting in the wings to feed all christian americans to the lions.

Satanism may have a tiny sliver of actual followers, but isn't even prolific enough to be labeled a 'cult.'
I agree my logic in that statement was flawed. It was a statement made out of upset and anger at such an awful tragedy (in the name of Satanism). So you are correct and I apologize. That would be the same thing as saying because people blow up abortion clinics and their employees in the name of God, that would make their religion evil too. Since that is certainly not the case (I'm a Christian ) Then I concede I was wrong.

However, what most people's perception of what Satanism is... correct me if I'm wrong here.. but most people associate Satanism with; hatred of God and all His followers and teachings, sacrifice, evil, murder, mayhem, blood-letting, conjuring of demons, and worshipping Satan, etc.

So whether you are a Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Athiest, etc, etc, etc. I would think that the "idea" of what Satanism stands for in MOST people's minds is equally abhorrent no matter what your beliefs/non-beliefs are in God, the universe, etc.

Whether people believe in a Christian God or not, doesn't the thought of someone who believes in the things associated with Satanism and wanting to practice it, find out more about it, etc., just litterally make your skin crawl? Don't you find that to be so outrageous and disturbing that it sickens you? Or maybe that's just me. Again, maybe I'm wrong.... I just for the life of me don't see HOW I could be wrong on that one!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,216,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
I agree my logic in that statement was flawed. It was a statement made out of upset and anger at such an awful tragedy (in the name of Satanism). So you are correct and I apologize. That would be the same thing as saying because people blow up abortion clinics and their employees in the name of God, that would make their religion evil too. Since that is certainly not the case (I'm a Christian ) Then I concede I was wrong.

However, what most people's perception of what Satanism is... correct me if I'm wrong here.. but most people associate Satanism with; hatred of God and all His followers and teachings, sacrifice, evil, murder, mayhem, blood-letting, conjuring of demons, and worshipping Satan, etc.

So whether you are a Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, Athiest, etc, etc, etc. I would think that the "idea" of what Satanism stands for in MOST people's minds is equally abhorrent no matter what your beliefs/non-beliefs are in God, the universe, etc.

Whether people believe in a Christian God or not, doesn't the thought of someone who believes in the things associated with Satanism and wanting to practice it, find out more about it, etc., just litterally make your skin crawl? Don't you find that to be so outrageous and disturbing that it sickens you? Or maybe that's just me. Again, maybe I'm wrong.... I just for the life of me don't see HOW I could be wrong on that one!
IMO, you are right on. I have never seen a "Satanist" (most are just athiests who like to anger people by labeling themselves as such) who was a positive, uplifting person. In my experience--and oh yes, I have known a few (I'm from California, LOL)--they are by and large cynical, angry, caustic, and hateful.

You shall know them by their fruits....

Old 08-17-2007, 11:06 AM

I was born and raised in California for my first 21 years too, before thankfully moving to Kentucky! I as well, have known people who referred to themselves as Satanists.

No "Satanist" I ever met, nor have even heard about, does; good, respectable, uplifting, beneficial, non-self serving, kind things in the name of Satan. The mere thought is ludicrous. Again, IMHO

Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,091,533 times
JMO but I think anyone who calls themself a "Satanist" is just looking for attention.. I think its phooey..

Old 08-17-2007, 02:07 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,394,905 times
Quote:
I've read plenty of articles by people (some of whom are professing Christians) who claim to have come out of Satanism. I was on a prayer list for a woman whose husband had been raised in Satanism; she knew many people who were still professing Satanists and others who had "left the fold" and were in fear of their lives. I have a very good friend whose son took her to a Satanic ritual meeting place deep in the woods; her son had some very questionable friends in those days, and an invitation to this place to experience a ritual was his eye opener. My friend said she saw the huge pentagram drawn in the earth with her own eyes, along with other things. Many years ago, I heard a testimony of someone who doubted all the claims of supposedly former Satanists; after hearing about specific, ritual markings/desecrations of bodies, he talked to a friend who was a big city coroner. The coroner stated that he saw so many bodies with these markings that there would be mass panic if the public ever became aware of the situation.

I have found all of these people credible in other areas, so I have no reason to doubt what they say about Satanism. I'll have to disagree that there is only "a tiny sliver of actual followers, but isn't even prolific enough to be labeled a 'cult.'"

Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM

679 posts, read 1,442,305 times
Quote:
No "Satanist" I ever met, nor have even heard about, does; good, respectable, uplifting, beneficial, non-self serving, kind things in the name of Satan. The mere thought is ludicrous.
Actually, I would think that's EXACTLY what they'd do, although I'd say it wouldn't be non-self serving, only appear as such. Advance in society appearing to be good and all the while really working bigger evil. Do terrorists walk around with big signs saying "terrorist"? No. They infiltrate and undermine or at least wait for their moment. I'd think a Satanist would be the same. In fact, the prime spot for such a person would be at the head of a church or in politics.

As an atheist, I can be objective.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,488,575 times
To me, Satanism seems to be a following used to upset people of the Christian faith. It's kind of funny for me to say this since I have been accused multiple times of not having morals because I am an atheist but I don't think Satanists would have morals conducive to our society. If the whole principle of Satan is to commit evil acts, than by that very doctrine alone it seems that the Satanist would commit evil acts, no? Personally, and again this is weird, I think Satanists are immature Atheists who label themselves as such just to irritate Christians and draw attention to themselves. Personally, it seems to me, that if you're going to believe and worship a deity, it would probably behoove someone to believe in a God of compassion and love rather than one of hate and evil, no? I can't see anyone willingly wanting to spend an eternity in a fiery hell if they actually believed in this sort of thing.

But, I do have one quick question in regards to this matter. If God answers prayers and miracles can't Satan as well? And if Satan will answer the "prayers" of his followers to promote his evil ways than wouldn't we see Satanists in all sorts of powerful forms? I think what I'm getting at is if Satan is real and as powerful as everyone thinks he is than wouldn't it seem like it would be more beneficial for him to grant his followers' wishes while they are on Earth so as to make them more loyal "soldiers" of Satan? I just don't see the logic behind this Satan stuff. Satan and Hell actually makes less sense to me than God and Heaven do, if that's even possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality