Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,797,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's my understanding that the rapture is not based on Biblical scriptures but is actually from the early 1800's when a young Scottish girl named Margaret MacDonald who supposedly saw a vision which came to be known as the rapture. The word rapture does not appear in the Bible and it became prominent due to the efforts of a British minister who promoted this idea. I certainly don't claim to be an expert on this subject but I know there's some controversy surrounding it.
Actually, I found this on Dr. Jack Van Impe's website. I know, I know -- people think he's a bit out there. I like him though (of course you knew I would ) and if anything he is very well educated about the bible. This is what he has to say about when the rapture was first taught:
"St. Victorinus, the bishop of Petah, wrote a commentary on the book of Revelation in 270 AD. He said he saw another great and wonderful sign - "Seven angels having the last seven plagues, for in them is completed the indignation of God. And these shall be in the last time when the church shall have gone out of the midst." In other words, St. Victorinus was talking about the Rapture! This teaching is not a present day innovation but a doctrinal statement dating back 17 centuries to St. Victorinus and 20 centuries to Jesus and Paul.
In the 16th century there were those expressing assurance of the Rapture. Hugh Latimer, burned at the stake for his faith in 1555, said: "It may come in my days, old as I am, or in my children's days, the saints shall be taken up to meet Christ in the air and so shall come down with him again." Joseph Medde, the great 16th century literalist understood I Thessalonians 4:13-18 to teach the catching up of the saints and even used the word "rapture." So this is not some new idea."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,655,007 times
Rapere the latin derivation of rapture, to mean a gathering up. Not to be confused with a mystical state of mind or place of paradise, where all the world's cares are over, etc.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,992 times
mams wrote:
Quote:
In other words, St. Victorinus was talking about the Rapture!
Why do people even use the word rapture if it's not a Biblical word? I get the feeling that the events in the 1800's have probably shaped the opinions of modern Christians and caused people to go scrambling after obscure passages in the Bible that might suggest the rapture but it's really an embellishment of the Bible.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times
Quote:
mams wrote:

Why do people even use the word rapture if it's not a Biblical word? I get the feeling that the events in the 1800's have probably shaped the opinions of modern Christians and caused people to go scrambling after obscure passages in the Bible that might suggest the rapture but it's really an embellishment of the Bible.
Well, I tend to agree with you here, MG. Uh- oh, you and I agreeing on a theological issue... yesterday Jeff and I agreed on something about "hell"...the world as we know it may be ending, people! As I have posted, I do think many scriptures do refer to a general "catching up" of the believers when Jesus returns, but a "rapture" before the end of time, I think is an error. But then I'm of the "post-trib" group, theologically speaking!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,425,255 times
Quote:
mams wrote:

The word rapture comes from the Latin term for caught up, rapturo. We believe based on scripture that will be caught up in the air to meet Jesus.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,039,262 times
I take the easy way out and am an Amillenialist.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,655,007 times
The latin is "rapere", "rapio", "rapturo" (deriv. rapacious) and does mean catching up, seizing or gathering, and used in Paul's writings to show Christ's true anointed gathered in the air for a while to form a huge Army to fight the Beast (AntiChrist) and False Prophet. Then after that victory, the Millennium to be ushered in ON earth for a thousand years.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 AM

32 posts, read 35,106 times
Cool Where is The Rapture ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Question: "What is the difference between the Rapture and the Second Coming?"

Answer: The Rapture and the Second Coming of Christ are often confused. Sometimes it is difficult to determine whether a Scripture is referring to the Rapture or the Second Coming. However, in studying end times Bible prophesy, it is very important to differentiate between the two.

The Rapture is when Jesus Christ returns to remove the church (all believers in Christ) from the earth. The Rapture is described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and 1 Corinthians 15:50-54. Believers who have died will have their bodies resurrected, and along with believers who are still living will meet the Lord in the air. This will all occur in a moment, in a twinkling of an eye. The Second Coming is when Jesus returns to defeat the antichrist, destroy evil, and establish His Millennial Kingdom. The Second Coming is described in Revelation 19:11-16.

The important differences between the Rapture and Second Coming are as follows:
(1) At the Rapture, believers meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:17). At the Second Coming, believers return with the Lord to the earth (Revelation 19:14).
(2) The Second Coming occurs after the great and terrible Tribulation (Revelation chapters 6-19). The Rapture occurs before the Tribulation (1 Thessalonians 5:9; Revelation 3:10).
(3) The Rapture is the removal of believers from the earth as an act of deliverance (1 Thessalonians 4:13-17; 5:9). The Second Coming includes the removal of unbelievers as an act of judgment (Matthew 24:40-41).
(4) The Rapture will be “secret” and instant (1 Corinthians 15:50-54). The Second Coming will be visible to all (Revelation 1:7; Matthew 24:29-30).
(5) The Second Coming of Christ will not occur until after certain other end times events take place (2 Thessalonians 2:4; Matthew 24:15-30; Revelation chapters 6-18). The Rapture is imminent, it could take place at any moment (Titus 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 15:50-54).

Why is it important to keep the Rapture and the Second Coming distinct?
(1) If the Rapture and the Second Coming are the same event, believers will have to go through the Tribulation (1 Thessalonians 5:9; Revelation 3:10).
(2) If the Rapture and the Second Coming are the same event, the return of Christ is not imminent…there are many things which must occur before He can return (Matthew 24:4-30).
(3) In describing the Tribulation period, Revelation chapters 6-19 nowhere mentions the church. During the Tribulation, God will again turn His primary attention on Israel (Romans 11:17-31).

The Rapture and Second Coming are similar but separate events. Both involve Jesus returning. Both are end times events. However, it is crucially important to recognize the differences. In summary, the Rapture is the return of Christ to the clouds to remove all believers from the earth before the time of God’s wrath. The Second Coming is the return of Christ to the earth to bring the Tribulation to an end and to defeat the antichrist and his evil world empire.

I also thought this was an interesting read!

Question: "Will there be a second chance for salvation after the Rapture?"

Answer: Some Bible interpreters believe that there will be no second chance for salvation after the Rapture. However, there is no place in the Bible which says this, or even hints to it. There will be many people who come to Christ during the Tribulation. The 144,000 Jewish witnesses (Revelation 7:4) are believers. If no one can come to Christ during the Tribulation, then why are people being beheaded for their faith (Revelation 20:4)? I see no passage of Scripture which argues against people having a second chance after the Rapture. I do see passages which indicate the opposite.

A variation of this argument is that those who have heard the Gospel and rejected it before the Rapture cannot be saved, but those who had not heard the Gospel before the Rapture can be saved. I do not find Biblical justification for this view. Granted, most who were hard-hearted to the Gospel before the Rapture will likely be even more hardened after the Rapture. The antichrist will deceive many (Matthew 24:5)! Many will believe the lies (2 Thessalonians 2:11). At the same time, I find no Scriptural evidence that those who rejected the Gospel before the Rapture have no opportunity for salvation after the Rapture
A very well structured post. 99.9% accurate in its detail. The Rapture (that was a mystery to the Old Testament Saints) is found in the differences in descriptions of the passages that speak of Christ's return. When these differences are studied and analyzed, they can be determined to be two separate events. Those that are unconveinced say we are guilty of scriptural gymnastics to "prove" our point. Be that as it may. I stand on the Word.

I might add that there is only one passage in the scripture that mentions the "second appearance" of Jesus Christ. (Hebrews 9:28) Most of the church over looks that fact, and the other (fact) that goes hand in hand with it. For those who believe in a single "second coming" of the Lord at the end of the great tribulation period, (in whatever respect) I would like to see it in scripture.

Bro. Chip

Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The concept of a rapture is not biblical, nor anywhere in the gospels, nor was it taught by Jesus. He was a Jew, and that "doctrine" would have been laughable to Him. Paul wrote in confusing "metaphors" constantly, so his works very misunderstood on so many levels.

The concept of the rapture is not Biblical? Who ever taught you that nonsense? It's found in the (OLD TESTAMENT.) And Daniel was a Jew and he believed in the Rapture. Or are you going to tell us that Daniel wrote confusing and misunderstood "metaphors" as well? LOL

Daniel 12:verses 1 & 2.

At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people-everyone whose name is found written in the book-will be delivered. Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
mams wrote:

The word rapture is a Biblical word, and it's found in the Latin Vulgate which was written in the early 400s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality