Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM

60 posts, read 158,007 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering why I cannot not find a single Christian apologist rebuttal that takes on "The Age of Reason" You would think a man with the influence of Paine, a man who brought fundamental change to the governments of England, France, and the framing of America would not be ignored for 200 years, yet when I google looking for rebuttals that take him to task I come up empty. The most published man of his day attacks the foundations of the Bible book by book. I look to his work like I look at any theory of rational thought. The longer it stands the test of time the more valid and credible it becomes.
A great way to become rich I think, imagine the title. "Finally Paine is Debunked." The sales to the over 300 different believing Christian denominations could be a uniting force and the author a Christian superstar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,301,230 times
Maybe it is a quiet, but consistent rebuttal by generations who have made the Bible the number one bestseller year after year after year?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,005,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Maybe it is a quiet, but consistent rebuttal by generations who have made the Bible the number one bestseller year after year after year?

How does believers buying the Bible rebut the contents of TP's book?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 PM

60 posts, read 158,007 times
The same way they have always rebutted Paine, with silence and misdirection.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
How does believers buying the Bible rebut the contents of TP's book?
The same way that the billions served at McDonald's makes it the best restaurant in the country, of course.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,219,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yeah folk tend to side with fiction as opposed rational thought topics and difficult to understand topics that actually require research and due diligence.

Of course sales mean squat as most owners have never even read it in its entirety nor researched its origins and obvious borrowing from other myths.

It is for most simply a religious prop.

It should however have this warning.

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/myspace-graphics/funny-pictures/bible-warning-label.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,415 times
I doubt many modern believers have even read Thomas Paine.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 AM

360 posts, read 444,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I doubt many modern believers have even read Thomas Paine.
I've always regarded Paine as a little silly after I read about his Common Sense pamphlet (since his position didn't seem at all wise to me). You might find it comforting to know, however, that I'm in the middle of reading The Age of Reason right now, and I may come back and post when I'm done.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:44 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Of course sales mean squat as most owners have never even read it in its entirety nor researched its origins and obvious borrowing from other myths.

It is for most simply a religious prop.
Yep. One has to keep in mind that a major portion of the sales are the stacks of Bibles churches buy up to ship to the "heathens" as a required freebie for them to receive the food, clothes and other trinkets missionaries bait them with to hear their propaganda.

Quote:
It should however have this warning.
I keep a sheet of those warning labels printed up on sticker paper. They come in handy every time I visit a bookstore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality