Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM

50 posts, read 95,819 times

Advertisements

I am no bible scholar and I do not know much about the Jehovah Witness faith. I just know from what I've been told and from a few of the WATCH TOWER pamphlets that I've read. From what I could gather, follower's of the faith did not believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. And also believe that only 144,000 people will be let into the Kingdom of Heaven when the time comes. My question concerns the 144,000. If this is the belief, doesn't recruitment of new members jeopardize your chances of going to heaven?????
I'm just looking for enlightenment. My apologies in advance if I have offended anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Is the top 144,000 or the first 144,000?

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
144,000 make into Heaven but the number of people that can make it into eternal paradise on Earth is unlimited. Being in Heaven means you get to be in Jehovah's "government", but anyone can be a citizen of Jehovah's "country" so to speak. So the number of people that get to experience paradise isn't limited--only the people "running" paradise are. They promise a paradise of no illness, no suffering, no disability, no poverty, no hunger, etc. to Jehovah's followers. Needless to say, that does give incentive for a lot of people to convert.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
I am no bible scholar and I do not know much about the Jehovah Witness faith. I just know from what I've been told and from a few of the WATCH TOWER pamphlets that I've read. From what I could gather, follower's of the faith did not believe in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. And also believe that only 144,000 people will be let into the Kingdom of Heaven when the time comes. My question concerns the 144,000. If this is the belief, doesn't recruitment of new members jeopardize your chances of going to heaven?????
I'm just looking for enlightenment. My apologies in advance if I have offended anyone.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They just dont believe in the Trinity. They believe that the Holy Spirit is not a person, but God's active force and that Jesus is God's son as in the human understanding of the term.

The 144,000...ditto nimchimpsky's answer.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Whoops. Forgot to answer that part of the question. Thanks for answering, Ringwielder.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzkisha2011 View Post
I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness a loooooong time ago, not anymore.

The 144,000 are a selected few that would go to heaven. The basic belief is that the earth was created by God for men. Men sinned so the earth became full of sinners. The God sent his son so with his blood atone humanity from sin. Eventually, God will get rid of sinners and give those followers on earth as the original plan of God is back, to inhabit the earth of God followers as if Adam did not sinned. That is in a nutshell, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality