Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,466 times

Advertisements

They really arn't wicked. They are pretty peaceful people that talk about peace and love and breathern. I don't think they would start a holy war or a crusade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
......Bob Marley actually.
Oh, right.....get up, stand up....

Old 07-14-2007, 09:32 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I am not a member of the Rastafarian religion, but if you lable this religion a cult wouldn't Christianity be considered a cult also? They seem to have the same basics beliefs, except for different main characters.
Don't mind him... he labels everything non-Christian an "evil cult."

Old 07-14-2007, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 118,442 times
Didn't know this was a religion, I have no comment about it though either way.

Cannot compare Rastafarianism to Christianity.

Our Saviour has walked this earth, and there is much evidence and facts that he lived, died and rose again.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,826 times
Humph! I had no idea it was a religion either!

Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM

668 posts, read 682,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Rasta, or the Rastafari movement, is a religion that accepts Haile Selassie I, the former Emperor of Ethiopia, as God incarnate, whom they call Jah.[1] He is also seen as part of the Holy Trinity as the messiah promised in the Bible to return. The name Rastafari comes from Ras (literally "Head," an Ethiopian title equivalent to Duke) Tafari Makonnen, the pre-coronation name of Haile Selassie I. - Wikipedia

"Watch out that no one deceives you. Many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and will deceive many." Mark 13:5-6
It really is a positive religion. I've place "Black Uhuru" music during my classes work sessions for years. The message is positive and low key, the hypnotic Bass rhythems help my students focus on their classwork. I like the lyrics, but the students can't understand them. Once their song "I got a stalk of sinsemillia burning in my pocket", was playing and nobody noticed the humor in it but me. Rastafarianism, is basically a non-honky Christian movement born in Jamiaca. I see it as valid.

Good to be "comin' in from the cold".....Trebek

Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
It really is a positive religion. I've place "Black Uhuru" music during my classes work sessions for years. The message is positive and low key, the hypnotic Bass rhythems help my students focus on their classwork. I like the lyrics, but the students can't understand them. Once their song "I got a stalk of sinsemillia burning in my pocket", was playing and nobody noticed the humor in it but me. Rastafarianism, is basically a non-honky Christian movement born in Jamiaca. I see it as valid.

Good to be "comin' in from the cold".....Trebek
Whatever else it is, it is absolutely not Christian. They deny Christ. It was started by an ethiopian dictator who claimed he was God incarnate. That goes against everything Christian.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 PM

668 posts, read 682,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Whatever else it is, it is absolutely not Christian. They deny Christ. It was started by an ethiopian dictator who claimed he was God incarnate. That goes against everything Christian.
Do they? Please offer more proof, and I know I'm not an expert. I do here them talk a lot about God. I and I would like to hear more about God as well. Jesus and God to me are the same. I thought they were the same to all Christians.

If they believe in God, and see "Hailli Salasse" as a great man that helped the African people, to the point of worship. I have no problems. I am not God, and I won't venture to guess their legitamacy? It's not my job to.
But their faith is sincere.

Trebek

Old 07-15-2007, 12:59 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,400 times
Default Wicked Thanks

Thanks for all your great responses - my son is doing some research in school and he chose to do it on this topic...how and why I really do not know but anyway here is some stuff me and him found that seems very interesting:

"Rastas believe that all people of the world are equal, bound together by one god, Jah. There are two types of Rastafarians 1) the twelve tribes and 2) the bobo shantis. The twelve tribes look to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior whiles the bobos look to Selassie.

In 1927 Garvey proclaimed, "Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King, he shall be the Redeemer" (The Rastafarians, p. 67). A few years later his prediction was considered fulfilled by Ethiopia's new king, Haile Selassie.

Hale Selassie seems to have been very educated and was not a Rastafarian, and some claim there is some evidence that he was a devout Christian (Coptic Christian).

There is no statement of what he thought of the whole Rastafarian movement. However he did say: "Today man sees all his hopes and aspirations crumble before him. He is perplexed and knows not whither he is drifting. But he must realize that the solution of his present difficulties and guidance for his future action is the Bible. Unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and its great message, he cannot hope for salvation. For myself, I glory in the Bible." (Selassie I)

On November 2, 1930, Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned king of Ethiopia, king of kings at Addis Ababa. Upon his coronation, he claimed for himself the titles of "Emperor Haile Selassie I (Power of the holy Trinity), Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God and King of the Kings of Ethiopia."(The Lion of Judah represents Haile Selassie, the Conqueror, the King of Kings as a lion, the king of all beasts; some apply it to the dominant movement). Some Rastafarians believe the Bible teaches that God is a spirit which was manifested in and represented by the King, H.I.M. (Emperor Haile Selassie I). Many claim he is the messiah (the son) in psalm 2; it is he the nations of Babylon conspire against. To those awaiting deliverance, they saw the new Emperor as the fulfillment of Garvey's proclamation. (specifically Joseph Hibbert, Archibald Dunkley, Leanord Howell and Robert Hind believed this).

He was reported to be the 225th descendant and restorer of the Solomon's Dynasty, deriving his lineage from the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. His throne represented the throne of God on earth, established by the covenant between God and King David as recorded in the Old Testament (2 Samuel 7). God had promised that through the seed of David, the tribe of Judah, He would set up His promised Kingdom on earth, which would be a light to the world. His people would be returned to their land and no more would they suffer.

Rastafarians believe, "God revealed himself in the person of Moses, who was the first avatar or savior. The second avatar was Elijah. The third avatar was Jesus Christ. Now the advent of Ras Tafari is the climax of God's revelation." (The Rastafarians, p. 112) Some Rastas believe Haile Selasie is Almighty god, (a god who died not for sin but because of sin!) They worship him as the living God. Some believe he is the second coming of Christ prophesied in the Bible.(no kingdom is set up, nor will he be the one to vanquish evil and judge the nations.) Some believe he is Christ-like, tracing his lineage to Christ . They even teach that Jesus predicted the coming of Haile Selassie (The Rastafarians, p. 106). Rastafarians point to the scriptures, saying it prophesied of him as the one "the hair of whose head was like wool (this is the matted hair of a black man) whose feet were like unto burning brass ( black skin),"(Rev. 1:14-15)"

Whew............all I can say is its amazing...!!!!!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
Thanks for all your great responses - my son is doing some research in school and he chose to do it on this topic...how and why I really do not know but anyway here is some stuff me and him found that seems very interesting:

"Rastas believe that all people of the world are equal, bound together by one god, Jah. There are two types of Rastafarians 1) the twelve tribes and 2) the bobo shantis. The twelve tribes look to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior whiles the bobos look to Selassie.

In 1927 Garvey proclaimed, "Look to Africa for the crowning of a Black King, he shall be the Redeemer" (The Rastafarians, p. 67). A few years later his prediction was considered fulfilled by Ethiopia's new king, Haile Selassie.

Hale Selassie seems to have been very educated and was not a Rastafarian, and some claim there is some evidence that he was a devout Christian (Coptic Christian).

There is no statement of what he thought of the whole Rastafarian movement. However he did say: "Today man sees all his hopes and aspirations crumble before him. He is perplexed and knows not whither he is drifting. But he must realize that the solution of his present difficulties and guidance for his future action is the Bible. Unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and its great message, he cannot hope for salvation. For myself, I glory in the Bible." (Selassie I)

On November 2, 1930, Ras Tafari Makonnen was crowned king of Ethiopia, king of kings at Addis Ababa. Upon his coronation, he claimed for himself the titles of "Emperor Haile Selassie I (Power of the holy Trinity), Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God and King of the Kings of Ethiopia."(The Lion of Judah represents Haile Selassie, the Conqueror, the King of Kings as a lion, the king of all beasts; some apply it to the dominant movement). Some Rastafarians believe the Bible teaches that God is a spirit which was manifested in and represented by the King, H.I.M. (Emperor Haile Selassie I). Many claim he is the messiah (the son) in psalm 2; it is he the nations of Babylon conspire against. To those awaiting deliverance, they saw the new Emperor as the fulfillment of Garvey's proclamation. (specifically Joseph Hibbert, Archibald Dunkley, Leanord Howell and Robert Hind believed this).

He was reported to be the 225th descendant and restorer of the Solomon's Dynasty, deriving his lineage from the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. His throne represented the throne of God on earth, established by the covenant between God and King David as recorded in the Old Testament (2 Samuel 7). God had promised that through the seed of David, the tribe of Judah, He would set up His promised Kingdom on earth, which would be a light to the world. His people would be returned to their land and no more would they suffer.

Rastafarians believe, "God revealed himself in the person of Moses, who was the first avatar or savior. The second avatar was Elijah. The third avatar was Jesus Christ. Now the advent of Ras Tafari is the climax of God's revelation." (The Rastafarians, p. 112) Some Rastas believe Haile Selasie is Almighty god, (a god who died not for sin but because of sin!) They worship him as the living God. Some believe he is the second coming of Christ prophesied in the Bible.(no kingdom is set up, nor will he be the one to vanquish evil and judge the nations.) Some believe he is Christ-like, tracing his lineage to Christ . They even teach that Jesus predicted the coming of Haile Selassie (The Rastafarians, p. 106). Rastafarians point to the scriptures, saying it prophesied of him as the one "the hair of whose head was like wool (this is the matted hair of a black man) whose feet were like unto burning brass ( black skin),"(Rev. 1:14-15)"

Whew............all I can say is its amazing...!!!!!
Wow...thanks a million for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality