Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM

19,732 posts, read 20,276,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And I speak English also..

A word is word...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 18,599 times
I believe that humans can't ever really fully comprehend god so they use "archetypes" to represent it. I believe they are all equally valid whether you are talking about a Christian God or a Hindu one. Personally I see divinity as present throughout nature and through us, I see pretty much everything as an expression of divinity...not that I bow down and worship "things" I just think everything is connected to a greater consciousness, call it God or whatever you like really.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Spending hours in meditation or spiritual study is time well spent.
I'm too busy thinking to meditate or study spirits.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,515,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
there is a big misconception that Native Americans worship many gods, that is untrue. We have a belief in a Creator and that is the generic name that we give it, other different tribes will call the Creator by different names that are particular to that tribe, however it is still one Creator, we honor and respect the spirits of all living things but that does not mean that they are gods, they are spirits to be respect and honored and nothing more.
Aho. THE ONE has many names, in many cultures. The spirits of all living things (including human beings) also have many names in many cultures and spiritual traditions.

An indirect example is the word namaste (nah-mah-STAY), which has roots in several Asian cultures. It has quite a number of related meanings. My favorite is when it is used as a greeting, when it means something like The Divine in me greets and honors the Divine in you. In other words all living things are connected, with each other and with THE ONE.

Namaste, y'all.

-- NIghteyes

Old 11-23-2010, 12:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,118,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I don't believe in anything. Belief is unnecessary. You don't have to believe in anything. It is as choice. Belief is a liabiltiy, an unncessary risk, a means to color rational thought. As Dawkins put it: "Belief is the process of nonthinking".

It is better to assume anything is possible and assign a probability to anything being true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
No, you don't have to believe in anything. Darwin was both a genius and an idiot. Belief is not the process of nonthinking. To believe is to have a vivid imagination and thought-filled mind. The best part of believing in something is that I have nothing to lose. If I am right, and there is something more, than I am one step closer than those that didn't believe. If I am wrong, and there is nothing more, I won't know and it wont matter. However, a life spent in the pursuit of achieving a higher understanding or trying to make this world a little brighter or kinder is not a wasted life. Buying TV's, Computers and other mass produced consumer goods solely for the purpose of meaningless entertainment is a waste. Spending hours in meditation or spiritual study is time well spent. Spending hours infront of a TV or a video game is a waste of time.

I agree with your last part, we should assume anything is possible.
Dawkins quote not Darwin!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,354,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm too busy thinking to meditate or study spirits.
If that is your will, then so be it. Just don't force others to think the way you do. I wish everyone was more spiritual and just learned to relax and let go of worldly stress. But, some people like that.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Dawkins quote not Darwin!!!
My comment still stands.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,358,220 times
I believe that my ability to think, observe, and act on my own free will makes me a "God" in physical form.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I believe that my ability to think, observe, and act on my own free will makes me a "God" in physical form.
That is possible.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
Lightbulb What do you believe?

"Belief" is another term equivalent to "operating from ignorance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality