Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,650,316 times

Advertisements

I'm actually already doing that believe it or not. I'm reading a book called "I don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek at the urging of my friend Alpha. It's actually a well written book and attempts to address the subject from a scientific and rational point of view so from the believer's side it is a book that would be good for discussion. From the atheist point of view I would definitely vote for "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. So there's a couple of suggestions and I'm sure a few of you have more ideas so this could be an interesting thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,915,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm actually already doing that believe it or not. I'm reading a book called "I don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek at the urging of my friend Alpha. It's actually a well written book and attempts to address the subject from a scientific and rational point of view so from the believer's side it is a book that would be good for discussion. From the atheist point of view I would definitely vote for "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. So there's a couple of suggestions and I'm sure a few of you have more ideas so this could be an interesting thing to do.
I've never read "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" but I have read quite a few by Geisler and he's an excellent author. Sounds good to me...I think I need to pick that one up as well and read it.

Plad actually suggested "The God Delusion" also. Two for that one.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM

219 posts, read 718,604 times
I was actually interested in reading the book by Francis Collins - The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief. He's the director of National Human Genome Research Institute which performed the sequencing of the human genome.

As for my vote for a book from a skeptical perspective I whole heartedly recommend one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading - The Demon Haunted World by the late Carl Sagan. It is about 10 years old but it is still a wonderful read. It is a book I recommend everyone read no matter your belief (or lack of) system.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 12,305,688 times
I am also casting my vote for "The God Delusion" as that was what initially occurred to me. As well, what Solidsquid mentions sounds really good:

[quote=solidsquid;1032140]I was actually interested in reading the book by Francis Collins - The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief. He's the director of National Human Genome Research Institute which performed the sequencing of the human genome.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,478,286 times
I'd have to go with The God Delusion as well. I have not read it yet, but from my understanding it seems to be the most easily read of his books and quite clear and concise. I'm just waiting for it to come out in paperback because I'm a cheapskate who hates paying $25 for hardcover

But to stick to the post... I'd be willing to read a Christian book. I am openminded enough to do so without trying to criticize every part of the author's work. The one Solidsquid mentioned sounded interesting but if there's another one the Christians would like to propose that is fine too. All I ask is to try and find a book that does not quote scripture too much. All that does for me is negate any sort of truth to the book because I don't see the bible as a work of God but a work of fiction. So, to reference a work of fiction proves nothing to me. If they are doing it in a way where they are trying to prove a certain scripture true by the use of science that's fine, just don't find a book that says "Why the Earth is Young" and the whole book explains Genesis and all it's quotes. And besides the grammar in the bible gives me a headache anyway.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM

I checked some reviews of the book "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist" and it does seem to have a lot of good research in it that is secular in nature.

My vote for the Christian book: "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist"

We have three votes for the Atheist book: "The God Delusion"

Who's in, and when do we start?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,650,316 times
Now I've got to talk Alpha into reading The God Delusion. I'm in for sure, let's just see how many people we can get.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 PM

8,003 posts, read 12,305,688 times
Hey Jazzed: Where's the "sign-up" list????

(I'm psyched!)

Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Ok, I'll start a list and then post it once it seems everyone who is interested has responded.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Now I've got to talk Alpha into reading The God Delusion. I'm in for sure, let's just see how many people we can get.
Have Alpha post over here if she (or he) is going to join us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality