Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 PM

292 posts, read 543,761 times

Advertisements

What Happened When The Praying Stopped?

When Prayer Was Taken Out of School : Robin’s Blog

A. Young People
  • 1. For 15 years before 1963 pregnancies in girls ages 15 through 19 years had been no more than 15 per thousand After 1963 pregnancies increased 187% in the next 15 years.
    2. For younger girls, ages 10 to 14 years, pregnancies since 1963 are up 553%.
    3. Before 1963 sexually transmitted diseases among students were 400 per 100,000. Since 1963, they were up 226% in the next 12 years.

B. The Family

• 1. Before 1963 divorce rates had been declining for 15 years. After 1963 divorces increased 300% each year for the next 15 years.
    2. Since 1963 unmarried people living together is up 353%
    3. Since 1963 single parent families are up 140%.
    4. Since 1963 single parent families with children are up 160%.

C. Education

• 1. The educational standard of measure has been the SAT scores. SAT scores had been steady for many years before 1963. From 1963 they rapidly declined for 18 consecutive years, even though the same test has been used since 1941.
    2. In 1974-75 the rate of decline of the SAT scores decreased, even though they continued to decline. That was when there was an explosion of private religious schools. There were only 1000 Christian schools in 1965. Between 1974 to 1984 they increased to 32,000.
    • a. That could have an impact if the private schools had higher SAT scores. In checking with the SAT Board it was found that indeed the SAT scores for private schools were nearly 100 points higher than public schools.
      b. In fact the scores were at the point where the public schools had been before their decline started in 1963 when prayer and Bible reading/ instruction was removed from the schools.
      c. The scores in the public schools were still declining.
    3. Of the nation's top academic scholars, three times as many come from private religious schools, which operate on one-third the funds as do the public schools.

D. The Nation

• 1. Since 1963 violent crime has increased 544%.
    2. Illegal drugs have become an enormous & uncontrollable problem.
    3. The nation has been deprived of an estimated 50 million citizens through legal abortions just since 1973, with 1 million additional yearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Can you prove a cause and effect relationship? Are all those events a dependent variable of prayer?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
My guess is that the evils you cite are more closely aligned with the following information...

During the 1960s several federal laws improving the economic status of women were passed. The Equal Pay Act of 1963 required equal wages for men and women doing equal work. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited discrimination against women by any company with 25 or more employees. A Presidential Executive Order in 1967 prohibited bias against women in hiring by federal government contractors.

The fact is that after 1963 significant numbers of women entered the work force and left their children to be raised by strangers, which I believe, had a far greater detrimental effect on them than removing the bible from schools.

But in both cases, correlation does not indicate causation. So it is all conjecture, my friend.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM

YouTube - Morality Without God

Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Um... you might want to post this on the Christian forum - you are going to get eaten alive here!
So, first of all, I was raised with out religion. I did not pregnant as a teen. My parents were married up until my father passed away. I have never commited any crime of any sort. I scored in the 98% on my SATS and went to a great university.
Secondly, I do not think that you can get an accurate count of teen pregnancies before 1963 since it was pretty much taboo. If a teen did get pregnant - it was usually not exposed. The teen either had a secret abortion or was sent away some where.
I don't think unmarried couples living together is a bad thing. In fact - I don't even see it as a thing. It just is.
Times are a changing, buddy. I don't think you can point to the removal of religion in school for all of these things. And, by the way, where are these "facts" from? Because I haven't had time to research all that the website claims - but in just a quick search - all the websites that I found said that teen pregnancies have been steadily dropping since 1998.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM

YouTube - Atheist Life vs Religious Life

Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
This all nonsense. I went to a reformed christian school where religion and prayer were the top priorities. We had a teacher led prayer in every class. We had bible classes every year, chapels twice a week etc. We were also one of the worst schools in the county, including the drug district in the main city. The only difference between us and the public schools in the county is that we had a much bigger drinking problem. We even had more weapons in school. What's interesting is that you could bring a hunting knife to school(which is illegal) and the teachers could all see it, but they don't even give a rat's behind. On the otherhand, making fun of prayer gets you big trouble. There was a kid in my class who was asked to pray and they said,'Dear god, keep our lunches safe.' That was one of the only things that a kid in my class got in trouble for. The other one was a kid in senior year that gave a speech in one of the chapels. He just talked about our class, but then a bunch of the teachers were discussing whether he should be able to graduate because he was 'promoting post modernism.' That was just the most retarded thing that any teacher in any school in America has ever done.
The truth is that religion in school does absolutely nothing whatsoever to prevent any problem in any school, whether they be public or religious.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,128 times
So, we need only have our school children start praying to say, Mithras or Zeus or their ancestors and all our societies woes will magically disappear?

And I guess all that praying that goes on every day in all those millions of churches all over the country just don't cut it, huh?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
The US has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the developed world, according to this Pubmed article.

Scandinavian and asian countries have the lowest.

Yet the United States is among the most religious countries on the planet, certainly the most religious country in the developed world.

Isn't it interesting how a high degree of religion causes teen pregnancy? After all, Christianity is nowhere near as pervasive in Japan as in the United States, and their rate of teen pregnancy is 7 per 1000, while the US is 52 per thousand.

So, I think that it is very clear that at the very least, for the sake of the teen mothers, we need to become less religious overall, or alternatively, convert to Shintoism.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:31 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
The initial premise that "God has been removed from schools" is a lie. What has been established is that school authorities cannot lead the students in required religious activities such as one or another rote prayer. This is a far cry from not allowing an individual student from practicing their faith. The idea that prayer should be led by a public school teacher is exactly what sharia law wants to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality