Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 12:29 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not true. The very basis for Christianity is self-examination.
Self-examination through an outside source.
Quote:
One cannot come to Christ without understanding our own sin.
My point exactly. An outside source. My question is can a Christian live a "Christian way of life" even after learning that their savior was not a savior at all? Many atheists know the value of love and compassion without trying to please a "God". Can a Christian do the same? Serious question here; would like a serious answer please.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-26-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,195,778 times
Quote:
Not true. The very basis for Christianity is self-examination. One cannot come to Christ without understanding our own sin.
Where is this self-examination evident?
Or, do christians 'self-examen' themselves and find no faults?
Do christians ever feel a conscience about having treated another person (like bearing false witness, name calling) in an unjust way? Probably not.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
We all have different faiths, different beliefs, and different minds. What is the truth for some is not the truth for others. You are free to see things in your way but understand that not everyone sees things in the same light. You can attribute everything to God. Not all of us do. However, to say that unless we can convince you of something that you have absolutely no desire to be convinced of - then it cannot be true - is pointless. I'm not going to ask you to convince me to believe in God because I don't think that you can. I also don't believe that I can convince you of my beliefs - and I'm okay with that. I don't need you to accept my beliefs in order for me to believe them. Aren't you confident enough in your own faith that even if we disagree - you can still believe that you are right?
When you ask someone to explain something to you - with no intention of understanding anything that they have to say - what is the point?
I haven't seen a viable explanation yet.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Self-examination through an outside source.My point exactly. An outside source. My question is can a Christian live a "Christian way of life" even after learning that their savior was not a savior at all? Many atheists know the value of love and compassion without trying to please a "God". Can a Christian do the same? Serious question here; would like a serious answer please.
No. I am nothing without Christ. He is my Savior. He alone is my avenue to God.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
Quote:
I haven't seen a viable explanation yet.
And you never will because you refuse to. You can't see anything with your eyes shut. You can't hear anything with your ears plugged. You can't understand anything with a closed mind.
I'm not saying that you can't believe what you believe. I just don't understand why you keep asking questions, then sticking your fingers in you ears saying, "I can't hear you! I can't hear you! Therefore - you are wrong!!!"
Some of us will never see eye to eye. You are free to believe what you believe. Why not just leave it at that.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Where is this self-examination evident?
Or, do christians 'self-examen' themselves and find no faults?
Do christians ever feel a conscience about having treated another person (like bearing false witness, name calling) in an unjust way? Probably not.
Actually, Christianity teaches that all are worthless sinners in God's eyes.

I do understand, in reality, there are some Christians that are not Christ-like. I hope it has not been a majority. I'm sorry you've been given the wrong impression. Christ-like actions don't always make news & usually go on behind the scenes.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
And you never will because you refuse to. You can't see anything with your eyes shut. You can't hear anything with your ears plugged. You can't understand anything with a closed mind.
I'm not saying that you can't believe what you believe. I just don't understand why you keep asking questions, then sticking your fingers in you ears saying, "I can't hear you! I can't hear you! Therefore - you are wrong!!!"
Some of us will never see eye to eye. You are free to believe what you believe. Why not just leave it at that.
I'm perfectly willing to listen. Let's hear the best you got. What is the source of goodness?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I'm perfectly willing to listen. Let's hear the best you got. What is the source of goodness?
I believe it is within our own hearts. You do not. You believe it is God. I am okay with this. I have no problem with you believing in God. However, just as I will never convince you of my beliefs - you will never convince me of yours. I at least can understand where you are coming from. I can understand why you believe what you believe. I am able to respect you and leave you to your faith. Please do not keep asking people for answers when you have no intention of even listening to them or ever seeing them as valid. If you think that you are right and that nothing else can even possibly be right - what is the point of asking?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I believe it is within our own hearts.
That's not a source.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
That's not a source.
I am okay with you thinking that. Your unwillingness to understand anyone but yourself makes no difference to me. Good luck with your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality