Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Wow! Hey Asheville: you catching this? That's quite the compliment, huh? A cloned homo-monkey! wow. Just WOW!
The facts pretty much reduced him to nonsensical babbling in some irrational attempt to insult. I just decided to let his own words speak for his rational. Wonder if he goes to one of the churches that speak in tongues and flop around on the floor also. It sure strengthened his position, now don't ya think well maybe not so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 PM

28,117 posts, read 30,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Christians have never been allowed to develop their personal moral compass, their morals have been tightly controlled since their first indoctrination to religion, the threat of hell, the “god is watching” nonsense.
I can appreciate the fact that atheists are often mischaracterized as amoral by Christians, but it's just as unfair and unreasonable to assume that just because a person is a Christian, his moral compass is controlled by fear. If you as an atheist are capable of developing a personal moral code, so can I as a Christian. There is altogether too much generalizing going on, and both sides are quilty.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,936,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I can appreciate the fact that atheists are often mischaracterized as amoral by Christians, but it's just as unfair and unreasonable to assume that just because a person is a Christian, his moral compass is controlled by fear. If you as an atheist are capable of developing a personal moral code, so can I as a Christian. There is altogether too much generalizing going on, and both sides are quilty.
Yeah, I agree with you there. Lots of Christians get a bad rap for those of them that go around preaching this holier-than-thou crap. Fact is, most Christians I know personally are great people, very non-judgemental. Most of them I have the utmost respect for.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Katzpur and Basiliximab - I agree with you both. Nice posts!

Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,022,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This is true. Not all christians have a fear based morality. There are many that have a moral code based on critical examination. The ones that have a fear based morality are generally much more vocal.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,216,372 times
The old expression "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" seems to apply on both sides. I'm an atheist but know Christians who are very nice people, while some are totally intolerable. I can say the same for other atheists as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 AM

815 posts, read 1,545,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
impossible statement, without any basis. Predictably typical of the parroting religion type.

It also serves to suppress individuality, personal moral growth and increasing knowledge, and has fomented the unnecessary and violent deaths of well over 300 million people in the last few centuries alone.

We'd have been far better off without it. But don't tell that to your local church officialz!
You have changed? NO! You only accept who serves your system. You consider the - others primitive. As always. You are not rational. Greed to wish another's, to serve the mister it is based on sex - is as in the bible. The old testament.
- It is a life of the majority of atheists

Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,626,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There are a few instantaneous reactions from the ignorant religious upon first seeing or hearing that someone is an Atheist. One of them, of course, is how we find our morality.
A crafty theist could rather point to: "For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them" Rom. 2 14-15.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,626,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The ones that have a fear based morality are generally much more vocal.
Like this?

YouTube - "Christian" passionately opposes street preacher

Last edited by firstborn888; 07-02-2010 at 03:18 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelouerbacker View Post
That is not an opinion,that is fact.
No sorry, just an opinion. No evidence of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality