Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,652,799 times

Advertisements

After reading a number of posts on this forum it's very clear to me that there are a number of people who consider such traits as ambition, assertiveness, being competitive, exuding authority, etc. to be highly desirable in men but somehow inappropriate or unattractive in women. First of all, I don't like overbearing and arrogant people whether they're men or women but I do admire someone who appears self confident and is attempting to make the most of their abilities. There are many women who have become highly educated and worked hard in order to achieve various interests and career goals but I get the feeling that some men see this as not being feminine which I suspect is because they find it to be intimidating to have to interact with a woman who doesn't act like a doormat.
I think we need to make a distinction between people (men or women) who are overly aggressive and are willing to trample over anyone who gets in their way as they pursue their goals and those individuals who are simply trying to better themselves intellectually as they seek to take on more responsibilities in their profession.
Does anyone besides myself see this as a double standard and what are your thoughts about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,426,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
After reading a number of posts on this forum it's very clear to me that there are a number of people who consider such traits as ambition, assertiveness, being competitive, exuding authority, etc. to be highly desirable in men but somehow inappropriate or unattractive in women. First of all, I don't like overbearing and arrogant people whether they're men or women but I do admire someone who appears self confident and is attempting to make the most of their abilities. There are many women who have become highly educated and worked hard in order to achieve various interests and career goals but I get the feeling that some men see this as not being feminine which I suspect is because they find it to be intimidating to have to interact with a woman who doesn't act like a doormat.
I think we need to make a distinction between people (men or women) who are overly aggressive and are willing to trample over anyone who gets in their way as they pursue their goals and those individuals who are simply trying to better themselves intellectually as they seek to take on more responsibilities in their profession.
Does anyone besides myself see this as a double standard and what are your thoughts about it?

Hi MontanaGuy,

Women are the reproductive bottle neck. I suspect societies that liked assertive women with a desire to be assertive and face danger kept being wiped out.

What if a society took a 90% loss of women. The next generation is finished. A 90% mortality rate in men could result in no change in the next generation.

Its pretty obvious. Why do women try to keep children safe for some odd reason?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

gwynedd1 wrote:
Quote:
Women are the reproductive bottle neck. I suspect societies that liked assertive women with a desire to be assertive and face danger kept being wiped out.
So if America has too many women who are high achievers in various careers then we're setting ourselves up to be wiped out?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,685,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi MontanaGuy,

What if a society took a 90% loss of women. The next generation is finished. A 90% mortality rate in men could result in no change in the next generation.

Its pretty obvious. Why do women try to keep children safe for some odd reason?
Just because you're a highly educated assertive woman doesn't automatically mean you won't have children....

Most of the women I surround myself with are successful, assertive, educated and really have taken charge with their own lives. Luckily, their boyfriends and husbands respect that

Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM

gwynedd1 wrote:
Quote:
The more I thought about this comment the stranger it became. There are over 300 million people in America. What possible calamity could kill 90% of American women? If there was a major world war it probably wouldn't even involve troops, it would more likely involve a full blown nuclear exchange that would wipe out men and women in equal numbers. It seems like you're suggesting that women who are ambitious in their careers are likely to embark on some dangerous career involving military service in which they might suffer massive casualties instead of what is really happening in society which is women who are working their way up the corporate ladder, establishing their own businesses or pursuing a wide variety of career opportunities that are suited to their own skills.
The 90% loss of women thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
gwynedd1 wrote:

So if America has too many women who are high achievers in various careers then we're setting ourselves up to be wiped out?
What a BS response that has no relation to my statement. You keep provoking me. Start making some points, logical arguments or present facts. You can take your implications that I am some kind of idiot and look down at the pool of drool. If the light hits it just right, the reflection might give you a glimpse of what you are looking for..

Assertiveness correlates to an exposure to danger. Men can be used as fodder. That is why men are bigger and have hormones for aggression. We die first by the simple process of natural selection. Men are the sexual excess aka expendable. That is point one.

Here is point two:

BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID - Testosterone
It is assumed that people with higher testosterone levels would drive a harder bargain and be less compromising. Research into the effects of testosterone and competitive behaviour suggests that testosterone increases competitiveness and risk taking.
How does that work out with women?

What Causes High Testosterone in Women? | eHow.com
High testosterone symptoms include hair loss, hirsutism, unexplained rapid weight gain, virilization, acne, aggressiveness and irritability and missed menstrual cycles. Decreased breast size and a deepening of the voice will occur along with a coarsening of the skin.
Would it occur to you that men would use this as a marker to see an unconscious link to lack of fertility? No, of course not, because your brain is in charge of it all, right? We decide what we like. How is that diet going?

Modern society is... well uh........modern. Until recently, female assertiveness would get them killed. It still would which is why men ride donar cycles more than women as they turn them selves into a paste near the underpass.

I think until I see something from you that does not make me think of a thumb sucker who grew up bathing with his twin sister I'll rap this up.

I expect a very simple standard. Present logical arguments and facts and don't replace your lack of them with insults. I assure you that my library of insults exceeds your sticky wad.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,269,417 times
I don't like to see women who start fights and arguments thinking they have a bigger pair than we do. Most do it to try to feel secure and dominant amongst other women. That really turns most men off. If it is justified that is one thing but when the woman is the instigator, it soils her IMO!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Just because you're a highly educated assertive woman doesn't automatically mean you won't have children....

Most of the women I surround myself with are successful, assertive, educated and really have taken charge with their own lives. Luckily, their boyfriends and husbands respect that

Hi JetJockey,

That is not the point I made, but your comment is wrong anyway.Take your pick around the world. Selective pressure is always at work.

Fertility patterns revealed: career women have few... [ICMH Newsl. 1977] - PubMed result

Why being a career woman could harm your chances of having a baby | Mail Online

Rinse and repeat generation after generation and career women are being genetically and culturally curtailed. Another little gift, as the article also shows, is work stress that makes women look shabby do to a rise in androgens. So when men think they like career women in their heads, their little general is leading them to the hourglass without the burn out job and they are none the wiser.

Yet the other point remains that historically, loses in female population directly impacted the next generation. Since the genetic research indicates a 1.1 to 1.4 polygamy rate, it means that male mortality can reach nearly 50% with little reduction in the next generation. Nature is not going to breed assertiveness into its reproductive bottle neck.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM

740 posts, read 1,235,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
....Yet the other point remains that historically, loses in female population directly impacted the next generation. Since the genetic research indicates a 1.1 to 1.4 polygamy rate, it means that male mortality can reach nearly 50% with little reduction in the next generation. Nature is not going to breed assertiveness into its reproductive bottle neck.
This is why the "lost girls" (BBC NEWS | South Asia | India 'loses 10m female births' China Planning Stricter Sex-Selective Abortion Regulations To Counter Gender Imbalance, Official Says sorry about the unscientific references, too lazy to slog through promed or UNFPA) in India and China are a worry to those countrys' demographers. Too few girls available to produce the next generation of workers that will support the bigger, elderly generation.

The US has a growing population thanks to immigration and our relatively high fertility rates as compared to other developed countries: Population Profile of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/natproj.html - broken link) vs http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/13/38/16587241.pdf , so we aren't exactly going to disappear anytime soon no matter how many women become assertive. We may turn a bit more brown, but we are not disappearing

Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
This is why the "lost girls" (BBC NEWS | South Asia | India 'loses 10m female births' China Planning Stricter Sex-Selective Abortion Regulations To Counter Gender Imbalance, Official Says sorry about the unscientific references, too lazy to slog through promed or UNFPA) in India and China are a worry to those countrys' demographers. Too few girls available to produce the next generation of workers that will support the bigger, elderly generation.

The US has a growing population thanks to immigration and our relatively high fertility rates as compared to other developed countries: Population Profile of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/natproj.html - broken link) vs http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/13/38/16587241.pdf , so we aren't exactly going to disappear anytime soon no matter how many women become assertive. We may turn a bit more brown, but we are not disappearing
Hi typhoidmary,

I must have typhoid fever. Was that yet another intelligent response from you? I was feeling pale with a cool, sweaty cramping until now. I hope you are reproducing, or we will be another click stupid.

Though it was just a bit on the edge of the rough. My answer was to the OP. Why are men less attracted to assertive women? Because they want their genes on the smoothest ride, not with an infertile reckless corpse. Humanity may survive, but not through him. Though all the man sees at a conscience level is an apish dissimulation of an underlying truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships