Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 12,646 times

Advertisements

Hey,

Ok, me and my (ex?) boyfriend are having problems. You see he's my first boyfriend, ever, we've been together for 3 years and a half. The first six months were PURE BLISS. I had it all: a great boyfriend, awesome friends, I was just finishing high school with awesome grades and was about to start at our local university. Life was brilliant.

Except I had this one male guy who had introduced me to my boyfriend (they were friends too). See, this guy friend and I had some history (we'd been friends with benefits although I remained a virgin... Important fact: This 'benefits' thing happened 2 years prior to meeting my boyfriend, and they stopped that same year and we just continued our normal friendship). I hadn't told my BF about this. I was scared of his reaction (he was a tad more jealous than average), so I just figured I'd tell him when more time had passed.

Hah... one day we were at a gig, I was taking pics, and my friend asked me to take a pic of him. Later I send the pics to my boyfriend, he sees the lone pic of my friend and flips. The questioning started... and the toughest question was asked: "Did you ever have anything with him?". I was pale, and without words. "Well, did you? Answer my question, please", in a firm, serious tone. I panicked so I said "Wha...? No, no, how could you think that?". "Justgirl, did you have anything with him?" - tough look in his eyes. "Sigh... yes, yes I did, we were friends with benefits back in 2004, but other than kissing and one blow job nothing happened". I thought "Well, this is the end". It wasn't... for a couple of days. Then he broke up with me... but took me back. He said we'd be able to go through this.

In that very moment I lost his trust, I had to start answering a million of hard questions about every single guy in my past, I had to stop seeing my female friends (because he basically thought they were sluts since they had um, more colorful pasts and were kind of my wing girls when we went out). It started a cycle of breaking up and making up, of him swearing his undying love for me one day, then declaring he didn't know if he loved me the next, telling me he still wanted to marry me, reminding me he didn't trust me, etc.

I stopped talking to every guy in my past and then some. New guys I met were seen as potential threats by him, so I have to keep distance. Then he started threatening to cheat on me. I started growing even more insecure than I already was.

He's never cheated, though. And he stopped going out with his guy friends, well, partly because of my insecurity and also because I don't really like his friends either. But whenever he wanted to go out well, he'd just go and I'd say practically nothing. Still, he said he didn't go out because he wanted to keep me happy. I asked him repeatedly if he was just saying that or if he secretly wanted to go out, in which case I'd compromise and "let him". He told me that no, that he had no interest in going out.

Until today...

He dropped this bomb: "You don't let me do anything, and I feel tied up. I want to go out with my buddies, I'm bored of spending every weekend with you. I need to go out with them and have a few drinks, etc, etc..."

Now, I don't feel the need to go out with my friends, I'm over that. I really do prefer staying in with him and what he said really hurt me. Especially since I feel unimportant in his life. Ok, I've become REALLY needy, but I think it's because of his own trust issues. In the beginning I was fine with him going out alone with the guys, I didn't care at all. But now I do. I just can't stand the thought of him going out with the guys, while I stay home alone, and he checks out other women, talks about them with the guys, hell, they may even flirt! Especially because all his buddies are single and well, they go out for one thing... to get chicks. It also makes me uneasy that well, I've seen him drunk when he goes out WITH ME and it's not pretty. And also because some of his buddies do pot. I don't like potheads and I know he smokes it when I'm not around. Basically, I think that when he goes out, he has problems controlling himself. That and I don't want him meeting other chicks and having more fun with them than with me, or thinking they're hotter. Hey, I'm just a girl anyway, it's my nature... and I'm not very attractive so yeah.

What exactly goes on during guys nights out? Is it as harmless as he paints it? What do they talk about, and how important is the "chick" factor? Also, what can I do? I already lost my friends, and I've met new people but we just don't click like that... my boyfriend (or ex, I don't know where we're at right now) is still the most important person in my life, so I make him a priority and I just don't have as much fun with other people as I do with him. We still get along very well and are highly compatible in terms of humor, music, movies, etc., so it's hard for me to have fun like that with other people. Also because he told me I could go out, but only if I went out with people who were trustworthy, and if I told him every detail AND if I don't flirt with other guys and of course if I don't cheat. But why bother? I know if I go out and do nothing with another guy, not even talking, even if I'm a complete sain, when he starts asking questions he'll still believe the worst! So I prefer not to go out anyway.

What on Earth can I do and how can I stop being so clingy, needy, insecure, possessive and jealous? I seriously love this guy and even though i know he might not be the best for me, well... I want to recover what we had during those first six blissful months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Um...he does drugs and is bored of you. Just dump him.

You can't go back. You can only go forward. Him starting fights over stuff thats long past is also a way people start to break it up before breaking it off.

FYI = oral sex is still sex. You are not a virgin and you can catch every single disease from a "just a blow job" that you can with traditional sex.

If some girl I was dating for three years used the term "just a blow" I would be turned off and wondering about her values. So my guess at his age he is going hunting for fresh meat.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Drama

Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Well, fair enough. Is hand sex still sex? 'Cause he had hand sex before, well he also had sex before and oral, but with a girlfriend so I can't complain about that. But he was with many more girls than I was with guys. He always just told me "Well, I'm older what did you expect?" I'm 21 and he's 24 by the way. Anyway, my therapist told me the oral sex thing was normal at the age I was.

I've just always thought he's a huge hypocrite when it comes to the past and jealousy. Even if it was sex, he has no right to judge me based on that, it happened two years before I even met him, so? It's long gone, and even more now, it's been almost 6 years since it happened! Yet he still throws it in my face. But if I say a single word about his past? No. I can't. I "have no right".

Oh and he doesn't do pot excessively, maybe once or twice a year.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGirl57 View Post
Hey,

Ok, me and my (ex?) boyfriend are having problems. You see he's my first boyfriend, ever, we've been together for 3 years and a half. The first six months were PURE BLISS. I had it all: a great boyfriend, awesome friends, I was just finishing high school with awesome grades and was about to start at our local university. Life was brilliant.

Except I had this one male guy who had introduced me to my boyfriend (they were friends too). See, this guy friend and I had some history (we'd been friends with benefits although I remained a virgin... Important fact: This 'benefits' thing happened 2 years prior to meeting my boyfriend, and they stopped that same year and we just continued our normal friendship). I hadn't told my BF about this. I was scared of his reaction (he was a tad more jealous than average), so I just figured I'd tell him when more time had passed.

Hah... one day we were at a gig, I was taking pics, and my friend asked me to take a pic of him. Later I send the pics to my boyfriend, he sees the lone pic of my friend and flips. The questioning started... and the toughest question was asked: "Did you ever have anything with him?". I was pale, and without words. "Well, did you? Answer my question, please", in a firm, serious tone. I panicked so I said "Wha...? No, no, how could you think that?". "Justgirl, did you have anything with him?" - tough look in his eyes. "Sigh... yes, yes I did, we were friends with benefits back in 2004, but other than kissing and one blow job nothing happened". I thought "Well, this is the end". It wasn't... for a couple of days. Then he broke up with me... but took me back. He said we'd be able to go through this.

In that very moment I lost his trust [over something that happened two years before you ever met him?], I had to start answering a million of hard questions about every single guy in my past, I had to stop seeing my female friends (because he basically thought they were sluts since they had um, more colorful pasts and were kind of my wing girls when we went out). It started a cycle of breaking up and making up, of him swearing his undying love for me one day, then declaring he didn't know if he loved me the next, telling me he still wanted to marry me, reminding me he didn't trust me, etc.

I stopped talking to every guy in my past and then some. New guys I met were seen as potential threats by him, so I have to keep distance. Then he started threatening to cheat on me. I started growing even more insecure than I already was.

He's never cheated, though. And he stopped going out with his guy friends, well, partly because of my insecurity and also because I don't really like his friends either. But whenever he wanted to go out well, he'd just go and I'd say practically nothing. Still, he said he didn't go out because he wanted to keep me happy. I asked him repeatedly if he was just saying that or if he secretly wanted to go out, in which case I'd compromise and "let him". He told me that no, that he had no interest in going out.

Until today...

He dropped this bomb: "You don't let me do anything, and I feel tied up. I want to go out with my buddies, I'm bored of spending every weekend with you. I need to go out with them and have a few drinks, etc, etc..."

Now, I don't feel the need to go out with my friends, I'm over that. I really do prefer staying in with him and what he said really hurt me. Especially since I feel unimportant in his life. Ok, I've become REALLY needy, but I think it's because of his own trust issues. In the beginning I was fine with him going out alone with the guys, I didn't care at all. But now I do. I just can't stand the thought of him going out with the guys, while I stay home alone, and he checks out other women, talks about them with the guys, hell, they may even flirt! Especially because all his buddies are single and well, they go out for one thing... to get chicks. It also makes me uneasy that well, I've seen him drunk when he goes out WITH ME and it's not pretty. And also because some of his buddies do pot. I don't like potheads and I know he smokes it when I'm not around. Basically, I think that when he goes out, he has problems controlling himself. That and I don't want him meeting other chicks and having more fun with them than with me, or thinking they're hotter. Hey, I'm just a girl anyway, it's my nature... and I'm not very attractive so yeah.

What exactly goes on during guys nights out? Is it as harmless as he paints it? What do they talk about, and how important is the "chick" factor? Also, what can I do? I already lost my friends, and I've met new people but we just don't click like that... my boyfriend (or ex, I don't know where we're at right now) is still the most important person in my life, so I make him a priority and I just don't have as much fun with other people as I do with him. We still get along very well and are highly compatible in terms of humor, music, movies, etc., [presumably other than when he is threatening to cheat on you, condemning you for your past, accusing you of cheating on him, and separating you from your friends] so it's hard for me to have fun like that with other people. Also because he told me I could go out, but only if I went out with people who were trustworthy, and if I told him every detail AND if I don't flirt with other guys and of course if I don't cheat. But why bother? I know if I go out and do nothing with another guy, not even talking, even if I'm a complete sain, when he starts asking questions he'll still believe the worst! So I prefer not to go out anyway.

What on Earth can I do and how can I stop being so clingy, needy, insecure, possessive and jealous? I seriously love this guy and even though i know he might not be the best for me, well... I want to recover what we had during those first six blissful months.
So many red flags in your post. Big ones. You now have no friends and no social life, preferring to stay at home with a possessive, domineering man who treats you badly and accuses you of cheating on him. Because you love him? He's so wonderful and great and dreamy ... except he's not. He sounds like a nightmare. The saddest part is that he has you convinced that his terrible behavior is your fault.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
This relationship has run it's course. It's hard to see since it's "your first boyfriend" and all but trust me, it isn't going to get better. Cut your losses and break up with him. Remember one important thing: you can ALWAYS get back together. Maybe you need to shake things up to get it back on track, you do need friends to go out with of your own and so does he. You've become far too dependent on him even though you know it's not good for you.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
LMAO hand sex.

About your boyfriend, he sounds very controlling and possessive, to the point where it is UNHEALTHY for you.

He's your first boyfriend. You're not going to marry him. There will be others.

Unless you want to spend your days under his intense control and scrutiny, then you need to get out of the relationship.

Now.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
LMAO hand sex.

About your boyfriend, he sounds very controlling and possessive, to the point where it is UNHEALTHY for you.

He's your first boyfriend. You're not going to marry him. There will be others.

Unless you want to spend your days under his intense control and scrutiny, then you need to get out of the relationship.

Now.

Would it have lasted as long if he treated her better? She might have gotten bored.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Um, what do you mean betamanlet? I don't think most people who're treated right in a relationship get bored. Do you mean that unless you start treating each other like crap one of you start getting bored?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGirl57 View Post
Um, what do you mean betamanlet? I don't think most people who're treated right in a relationship get bored. Do you mean that unless you start treating each other like crap one of you start getting bored?

Yeah, pretty much so... Seems that drama is preferable to stability these days... That one cannot define happiness as others. I would think that a stable, loving relationship would make someone happy, but some would get bored by that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships