Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,392,445 times

Advertisements

We, dh and the 2 kids were sitting in a Chinese food buffett style place yesterday and talking about something, I dont even remember what, but what it boiled down to was myself and his mother. Here we go. He told me that she will always outrank me. Well, from his actions all these years I always knew that, but he sat there and said it out loud. So he was going on and on, blah blah blah and finally I told him that he needed to stop talking. He said ok, had no clue. I regained composure and said that when you marry a woman you become as one. You leave your family and start your own family. Your wife then becomes the woman in 1st place in your life, then your mother. He says well, she has exp with buying things and with medical and lawyers. OK, Now I got really MAD. I said all she has ever bought in her life is a PACIFICA and has reliec on men for all the rest. Lawyers because she is trying to take everyone elses money...dhs. Medical, yes she has problems, but so do I!!! She let things happen to their family growing up that was reprehensible and that I would never let happen to my kids and I told him if thats the kind of advise/exp he wants to learn/live by then he is off his rocker!!!!!!! He says, true... Then, I say lets look at her last marriage... one of the worst things in it was that her dh had more time and everything for his mother, and not his wife. he did everything for his own Mother and never spent any time with his wife, dhs mom, took care of her money wise and didn't keep groceries in their house...oh I could go on. So I say to dh... do you recall all the problems we have to hear about over and over about that marriage and his mother coming before your mother, well thats what you have been doing to me fore 15 years, even with all of the bad things she has done to you.... OMG lightbulb moment for dh. It was like I hit him with a brick! He said I can't believe it. He said from today on I am changing, mind you I said it takes seeing to believe... I had also told him that I was never going to follow her advise and exp... She may be older than me but not wiser. She has made so many mistakes in her life and this is why she needs all the lawyers. She has med probs, guess what? I do too, but I had them start from a much younger age. I nursed my Mother, Father, and Grandmother until the day they died, and I am the baby of my family, I took on the responsibility. I told my dh that I would NEVER take her advice exp and use it. I can't go into the childhood, but it was bad for them. I am so sorry, I know this was long, but getting it out, other than infront of everyone at the restaurant feels good for me. Dh asks me how we can accomplish things like this again, I told him I guess we have to go for Chinese... It was a good day, a day of realization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 AM

926 posts, read 1,461,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
We, dh and the 2 kids were sitting in a Chinese food buffett style place yesterday and talking about something, I dont even remember what, but what it boiled down to was myself and his mother. Here we go. He told me that she will always outrank me. Well, from his actions all these years I always knew that, but he sat there and said it out loud. So he was going on and on, blah blah blah and finally I told him that he needed to stop talking. He said ok, had no clue. I regained composure and said that when you marry a woman you become as one. You leave your family and start your own family. Your wife then becomes the woman in 1st place in your life, then your mother. He says well, she has exp with buying things and with medical and lawyers. OK, Now I got really MAD. I said all she has ever bought in her life is a PACIFICA and has reliec on men for all the rest. Lawyers because she is trying to take everyone elses money...dhs. Medical, yes she has problems, but so do I!!! She let things happen to their family growing up that was reprehensible and that I would never let happen to my kids and I told him if thats the kind of advise/exp he wants to learn/live by then he is off his rocker!!!!!!! He says, true... Then, I say lets look at her last marriage... one of the worst things in it was that her dh had more time and everything for his mother, and not his wife. he did everything for his own Mother and never spent any time with his wife, dhs mom, took care of her money wise and didn't keep groceries in their house...oh I could go on. So I say to dh... do you recall all the problems we have to hear about over and over about that marriage and his mother coming before your mother, well thats what you have been doing to me fore 15 years, even with all of the bad things she has done to you.... OMG lightbulb moment for dh. It was like I hit him with a brick! He said I can't believe it. He said from today on I am changing, mind you I said it takes seeing to believe... I had also told him that I was never going to follow her advise and exp... She may be older than me but not wiser. She has made so many mistakes in her life and this is why she needs all the lawyers. She has med probs, guess what? I do too, but I had them start from a much younger age. I nursed my Mother, Father, and Grandmother until the day they died, and I am the baby of my family, I took on the responsibility. I told my dh that I would NEVER take her advice exp and use it. I can't go into the childhood, but it was bad for them. I am so sorry, I know this was long, but getting it out, other than infront of everyone at the restaurant feels good for me. Dh asks me how we can accomplish things like this again, I told him I guess we have to go for Chinese... It was a good day, a day of realization.
Breathe 2,3,4

Seriously, that was good...sometimes a good gut-checking is in order and it sounds like your hubs finally saw the light.

Cin, remind me never to go for Chinese with you...lol

Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 AM

217 posts, read 845,813 times
I was shocked at first because I thought the initial comment was his epiphany. But I'm glad you were able to stand up to what he was saying and get him to see what he's doing. You're right, seeing is believing. Hopefully he'll follow through.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester2 View Post
Breathe 2,3,4

Seriously, that was good...sometimes a good gut-checking is in order and it sounds like your hubs finally saw the light.

Cin, remind me never to go for Chinese with you...lol
Going to Chinese was the good thing, because he just doesn't 'get it' at home...

thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixxphyre View Post
I was shocked at first because I thought the initial comment was his epiphany. But I'm glad you were able to stand up to what he was saying and get him to see what he's doing. You're right, seeing is believing. Hopefully he'll follow through.
Yes, only when I see will I believe, because you can say anything you want... thanks for your input....

Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,066,138 times
Cinder - one word for you ... PARAGRAPHS!!!

I am glad your hubby saw the light. I have a good friend whose husband is like your husband - puts his mom on a pedestal all the time and puts my friend down, and his mother is one of the most screwed up people on the planet!!! Just keep reminding him of how wonderful you are and your special talents. Sometimes these guys are so brainwashed that you have to chip away at that "my mom is so great" thing. Hang in there!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Cinder - one word for you ... PARAGRAPHS!!!
Lol...you are SUCH an adorable little brat!! Tell her to use asteriSks too!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,066,138 times
I was gonna do that but ........ MUST .... pull ..... stick ...... out ...... of ........ butt!!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,303,546 times
WOW, and people wonder why I have remained unmarried all the this time...

Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I was gonna do that but ........ MUST .... pull ..... stick ...... out ...... of ........ butt!!!!

Watch those splinters!!, you'll be dancing bowlegged if you're not careful!

(attention threaders and threadees...paragraph shift following)

What time should I expect you over to help me with this mulch? Should I go ahead and get started, or wait on you to get here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships