Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,014,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You've written some great stuff. I can relate.

Anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,014,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Introvert.

What I hate is how this word has come to have negative connotations, as if there's something wrong with being an introvert. You can't really change your personality. And frankly you shouldn't have to just to conform.
Yeah it does, but I read that there are more extroverts than introverts- so you know how that minority thing goes.......

There's a need for both types in life- that's for sure! You need somebody to sit back and listen to the extroverts continual yapping LOL.

I read that Johnny Carson was introverted- and look how successful he was in a perceived extroverted role.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,382,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Most introverts have desirs to talk, be in social situations, or put yourselves out there like most extroverts are prone to do. They can be people persons. Introversion doesn't equal shy- it's a determination of how you are energized. Most of the time (not always) an introvert can be around people, socialize, and enjoy the party, but eventually they will need to pull back and be alone, to recover. So to all my fellow introverts in this thread, it's not extroversion you are experiencing, it's probably more comfort in the situation. In the end, most of you agree that after a measure of time, it's time to fall back and be alone. That's introversion.
I have a little different 'take' on the subject...
in addition to many people assuming introverts are "shy," many also make the mistake of believing introverts are "withdrawn"... while your post isn't on the extreme, it does seem "headed in the direction of that viewpoint"...

a normal, healthy introvert is well-grounded enough within himself that he doesn't need external stimulus in order to function- and usually prefers to not have it...

as for me personally, first, both my job & most of my personal interests are what I refer to as "solitary pursuits"-- to do it well & do it right means to do it alone-- for example, doing a work project is best done without someone hovering around or talking, & reading a book is best without company...

second, I love people-- it's the circumstances & settings I occasionally "have issue" with-- not sure if anyone here has this viewpoint (although I'd sure like to hear other people say so), but personally I prefer for my interactions with other people to mainly be about communication & about the people...

one thing this means is in the rare instances that I do some kind of activity, I'd rather focus on it being about the activity than about other people who are involved with it...
and the other thing some people can't understand is that while I love "people," I despise "social settings"-- having one, two, or a whole flock of people over for dinner, or going to someone else's place similarly, is a good thing, but I'd rather shoot myself through the foot than attend a dance or any other kind of "social" thing where the focus is on "showing off" your new outfit, "showing off" who you're with, smalltalk/gossip, and the entire phony scene.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,149,467 times
I'm an extrovert AND a pervert!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,209,587 times

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,862,856 times
I'm an introvert but have learned how to pretend not to be shy. It's easier than it used to be, and I am usually very good at making friendly small talk to pass the time.

I'm joining a local charitable organization and am going to the first meeting this evening. There's a mixer for new members tonight, which I'm dreading a little. I am going to a restaurant I've never been to, to meet up with people I don't know. I really dislike wandering through a restaurant, trying to find the people I'm supposed to sit with. I have high school flashbacks! I wore my glasses today, because I can't see long distances and won't be able to read any kind of little sign on a table. I might bring my own sign--SEEKING FELLOW ________ERS!--and try to be funny instead.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 PM

79,259 posts, read 61,361,367 times
I'm an odd mix of the two but I'm probably a bit more extroverted. I do like a little quiet\down time now and again and I'd rather spend a week on a quiet beach than in New York....not a big fan of crowds etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,728,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Most introverts have desirs to talk, be in social situations, or put yourselves out there like most extroverts are prone to do. They can be people persons. Introversion doesn't equal shy- it's a determination of how you are energized. Most of the time (not always) an introvert can be around people, socialize, and enjoy the party, but eventually they will need to pull back and be alone, to recover. So to all my fellow introverts in this thread, it's not extroversion you are experiencing, it's probably more comfort in the situation. In the end, most of you agree that after a measure of time, it's time to fall back and be alone. That's introversion.
I agree. A lot of people sometimes confuse introversion with shyness. I'm introverted, but I'm not at all shy! I'd just rather be an observer and a listener than to actually take part in social events.

For instance, all through school I always got crap from my teachers and my mother for not taking part in class discussions but I honestly never really had anything to say and learned a lot more by listening to what others were saying.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,811,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
We all come across like a bunch of extroverts in this sub-forum. But what's the real deal? Yeah, people at work think I'm funny and outgoing. However, I like my own company an awful lot. I like a lot of quiet time and dislike crowds and/or crowded places.

So are you really an introvert masquerading as an extrovert? I'm becoming more and more of an introvert. What about you?
I'm an introvert masking as an introvert. Hence the whole, "I'm sitting here on the Internet instead of getting out in public" thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,449,809 times
I'm an introvert (and suffer from social anxiety), but I come across as an extrovert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships