Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times

Advertisements

Cuban Paella?

Well, not had that... would nom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is that Havana Mania? They are way better than Versailles. If you have a work buddy then order the paella for two - it is so good. Their lechón is so good too - if you are into mojitos then try the mango, it is really delicious. Everything on the menu is prepared well, but I would skip dessert. The flan is just so-so.

Speaking of restaurants, I just ate at Luna Grill first time yesterday. It blows Daphne's way out of the water. The protein portions are tastier, more generous, and the prices were more reasonable. The last time we went to Daphne's, about three-four years ago, we added up what we wanted to order and it was almost $60. For that money I'm not ordering fast food, we ended up going to - you guessed it - Havana Mania.

The fufu de yuca is one of my favorite apps there, so tasty and that garlicky sauce they serve it with is outta this world.
Yeah, that's the place. The Northrop site just down the street from there is where I've worked off and on as a contractor for three different companies now over the years. Our new office where we moved to is about a mile or so away and I intend to hit up that Cuban place some more. I keep threatening to take Mrs. Chow there. It's just on a Saturday I don't wanna drive that far from home just for lunch, but we're gonna have to break down and do it. There isn't any Cuban restaurants near where we live, so........

Daphne's is good too. Is the Luna Grill in that general area of town? I don't recall seeing that. I know that the Daphne's is really close to the Cuban joint, at least the one I'm thinking of.

I suppose I can google/yelp it and take a look.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is that Havana Mania? They are way better than Versailles. If you have a work buddy then order the paella for two - it is so good. Their lechón is so good too - if you are into mojitos then try the mango, it is really delicious. Everything on the menu is prepared well, but I would skip dessert. The flan is just so-so.

Speaking of restaurants, I just ate at Luna Grill first time yesterday. It blows Daphne's way out of the water. The protein portions are tastier, more generous, and the prices were more reasonable. The last time we went to Daphne's, about three-four years ago, we added up what we wanted to order and it was almost $60. For that money I'm not ordering fast food, we ended up going to - you guessed it - Havana Mania.

The fufu de yuca is one of my favorite apps there, so tasty and that garlicky sauce they serve it with is outta this world.
Anything named "fufu de yuca," I gotta try.

I can't remember if I told you this or not. Thiptara, that Thai place I was telling you about, they've since closed down. I don't know if you ever got the chance to try it. They do have another location on Ocean, but I just thought it would have been convenient for you since it was near the school.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:21 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I can't remember if I told you this or not. Thiptara, that Thai place I was telling you about, they've since closed down. I don't know if you ever got the chance to try it. They do have another location on Ocean, but I just thought it would have been convenient for you since it was near the school.
I'm going to have to point at it when I order, though

Old 08-07-2018, 01:16 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
That's okay. It just might prevent a misunderstanding and/or a punch in the nose.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, that's the place. The Northrop site just down the street from there is where I've worked off and on as a contractor for three different companies now over the years. Our new office where we moved to is about a mile or so away and I intend to hit up that Cuban place some more. I keep threatening to take Mrs. Chow there. It's just on a Saturday I don't wanna drive that far from home just for lunch, but we're gonna have to break down and do it. There isn't any Cuban restaurants near where we live, so........

Daphne's is good too. Is the Luna Grill in that general area of town? I don't recall seeing that. I know that the Daphne's is really close to the Cuban joint, at least the one I'm thinking of.

I suppose I can google/yelp it and take a look.
Right on - never had a bad experience at HM since they opened in 1997. Luna Grill we went to was in San Siego county, so I checked to see if we have one local and sure enough they have one by the Del Amo mall. That Chicken Maison place by HM is very popular too, and the pupuseria next to it came highly recommended by my spice purveyor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

Rats, I didn't get to try. Next semester I'll rarely be on campus, all my classes will be taught off-site. In the Spring I'll be there a bit more, might check out the one on Ocean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Don't you love it when the exotic restaurant has photos of the dishes, to make it easy on you? Lately, everyone has a website, so if I'm planning on going to a new place, I look them up and see what they offer. BOY did this help with the Persian place, every dish is in Persian so I looked up all the dishes ahead of time to spare the server from having to go through all the ingredients for everything.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
What food is Persian, and what did you order?
I would have to try so hard to keep cats off my brain.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Gheymeh, kubideh, zereshk, fesenjon, barg, and my favorite app - kashko badenjan. It's all good - they feature a lot of rice; when Persians have a party they will serve like four different rice dishes to go with the entrees. The spices they use to season the meats make them taste fantastic. It's exotic, in a very tasty way.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Sometimes I feel like I have a "loyalty card" for every store in town. I like to save money. I get emails from this gas station I frequent. Today it said, "Take the breakfast challenge!" and I would get like bonus points for buying four different kinds of breakfast sandwiches.

I feel like when it comes to gas station food, you might not want to try and promote it as a "challenge." There is an element of, "Can you eat four of our sandwiches without severe gastronomical distress?" going on there. And what if I don't need my breakfast to be particularly challenging? Whatever happened to comfort food. Jeez guys. It's early. Don't challenge me with fake eggs and mystery meat and processed "cheese food" right now, k?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
I had one this morning! Now I go to a place that has the the calories listed individually right outside of their little metal stalls. I always eat hot gas station food. I don't believe the eggs or meat are fake. Protein! What's so REAL about doughnuts?! I used to sit by a lady at work who ate a big plate of pancakes at her desk occasionally. My voice was always much friendlier on the phone while she did that it was so hard not to laugh at the ridiculousness of the scraping of the fork and syrup lip smacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships