Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2022, 01:25 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Due to being in the middle of nowhere, triple digit temps, frequent poor air quality from fires, and snow....

I finally got into a good exercise routine at home, minimal equipment, and reasonable cost. It took a bit to find the right combo though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 03:10 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Stoic, logical, and resolute, at your service.

As long as I'm getting regular trim, of course.

This machine ain't lubricating itself.
Now in seasonal pumpkin spice.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:06 PM

52,256 posts, read 52,668,250 times
My company remodeled the office area. It's nice in general, but they've got this "open office" concept where there are "neighborhoods" assigned to different groups. Our group doesn't have assigned neighborhood for too many reasons to get into so we've been booted out of two or three areas. It's just the three of us. We found a section where people don't bother us.

I really hate this open office layout. I get to hear everyone else's zoom calls and quarterly update meetings, blah blah blah. Fill in the blank with every corporate buzzword here.

I've been enjoying the working from home thing. We've got a new employee on our team and he's pretty green and requires a lot of our time so I've been going to the office a little more.

Once he gets more up to speed the plan is to not come into the office as much. I sure hope that plan doesn't change. Got a good taste of saving money on lunches, not sitting in traffic and not having to listen to my coworker drone on and on at lunch.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:50 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My company remodeled the office area. It's nice in general, but they've got this "open office" concept where there are "neighborhoods" assigned to different groups. Our group doesn't have assigned neighborhood for too many reasons to get into so we've been booted out of two or three areas. It's just the three of us. We found a section where people don't bother us.

I really hate this open office layout. I get to hear everyone else's zoom calls and quarterly update meetings, blah blah blah. Fill in the blank with every corporate buzzword here.

I've been enjoying the working from home thing. We've got a new employee on our team and he's pretty green and requires a lot of our time so I've been going to the office a little more.

Once he gets more up to speed the plan is to not come into the office as much. I sure hope that plan doesn't change. Got a good taste of saving money on lunches, not sitting in traffic and not having to listen to my coworker drone on and on at lunch.
LOL this reminds me of ages ago when I worked for a payment processing center for a major bank, in another state... They found mold or asbestos or something in the building's walls and the entire building had to be gutted and refitted, two floors at a time. They had every business tenant move to a different floor in the building during this process, one that had already been gutted and remodeled to suit.

The old layout was all walled off rooms, distinct from one another, along a central hallway. The new one was an open floor like what you describe. Turns out the reason for the change was twofold...the old design was grandfathered in but was a fire code problem. And building in walls/rooms was more costly. So. Open office layout.

But we had this ninny of a Site Manager who had a degree in PR. Old Boss hired her when she was promoted to regional...Old Boss had no college, but was an old school hard-azz, we didn't always like her but we respected her. Well she was overly impressed with this woman's fancy college degree, even though New Boss knew jack-all about the business and sounded painfully stupid every time she opened her mouth to the more down to earth crew of this place... I will never forget how she pitched the new layout to us, rather than just explaining how it would be and maybe the real reason, she started euphorically bloviating, while gazing into space and gesturing expansively that, "In the new world, there will be...no...walls..." As though she had had a ~Vision~. I think she may have expected applause for this little speech, but we all just looked at each other and tried not to laugh.

I'm sure you know the type. I think that most of us who have been involved with corporate America do. I bet if you said the word, "synergy" in the right tone of voice, they'd get goosebumps.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Is it just me, or does it seem like the dearly departed (on September 8) queen of England has been having funerals and commemoration functions every day for the last 10 days? Will they ever put her remains away and move on?

Sorry, had to vent - I am just getting sick of the daily parades on the local news...something new every day. Yes, she's the longest ruling monarch and all that, she's even got some Hungarian royal blood in her pedigree, but how many more weeks or months of this nonstop corpse-parading are they going to get in before she's interred?

The lady was 96 years old, literally no one should be surprised at her passing. I'm not British so I don't know if this weeks-long pomp and circumstance is par for the course. I'm over it now.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like the dearly departed (on September 8) queen of England has been having funerals and commemoration functions every day for the last 10 days? Will they ever put her remains away and move on?

Sorry, had to vent - I am just getting sick of the daily parades on the local news...something new every day. Yes, she's the longest ruling monarch and all that, she's even got some Hungarian royal blood in her pedigree, but how many more weeks or months of this nonstop corpse-parading are they going to get in before she's interred?

The lady was 96 years old, literally no one should be surprised at her passing. I'm not British so I don't know if this weeks-long pomp and circumstance is par for the course. I'm over it now.
Here’s everything I know (or care) about it: After Queen Elizabeth II’s passing earlier this month, rumors spread that the latest season of The Great British Baking Show premiere would be delayed. This is not true! Whew! I just wanted to know: Will Matt Lucas be just as hilarious after losing all that weight?

Old 09-19-2022, 08:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I dunno. I think I'm going to write a 10 day funeral period/procession into my will now. I think it may become all the rage.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:20 AM

52,256 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Yeah, I kind of agree. I know it's a historic event and all, but I am getting a little bored of hearing about it. LOL.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:29 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I had the day off today, and it's raining and gross out, so I've been watching the BBC coverage all morning. Logically, I know that the royal family, as my Aussie friend often says are "a bunch of inbred German twits," but I still find all the pomp and ceremony fascinating.

Probably the British monarchy will be having a reckoning in the next few years. Charles isn't as nearly beloved as his mother, and the national funding of a purely decorative colonial family isn't going to be a priority.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:07 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I read the account of one British person and it helped me make sense of how some of them feel about the monarchy.

The crown is supposed to stand above and beyond politics. No matter what your political beliefs are, the Queen loves you as a British subject and love of the Queen is tied in to your national pride, your sense of belonging. She "cares" about all of her subjects. Not just the ones who might vote for her. And in that way, it is a very different relationship than one might have with another kind of head of State.

And I thought about that as an American and I was like...but...how can she be apolitical? How can anyone be truly apolitical? Just in context of the degree of ideological polarization we've seen, even in a time where larger numbers than ever are registering as Independent, it feels like surely everyone must be on one side or another somehow right?... So the concept of even a decorative or symbolic "head of State" who is not tied into one or another of conflicting political interests is a novel notion for me to try and think about. We get Presidents who talk a big talk about representing everyone, but I don't think that we buy that in the way that the English feel "represented" (at least many of them, at least on an emotional and patriotic level) by their monarch.

Well, whatever happens, I just hope that it is the will of most of the people of the country in question, that's all. Consent of the governed and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships