Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,058,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Really? Seems very common in my area. Actually DNA testing is the first thing done when you apply for child support.

People don't apply for child support if they stay together. And the large majority of people stay together.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:00 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,411,799 times
Quote:
Really? Seems very common in my area. Actually DNA testing is the first thing done when you apply for child support.
No. I imagine if a couple separates or has never been married or in a real relationship and a woman "accuses" the man of being the childs father, but not if they are in a marriage and separate.

I suppose if the man always had a feeling the child was not his he may, but not in general.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:06 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,049,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
People don't apply for child support if they stay together. And the large majority of people stay together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
Why would I want to take responsibility for and put my valuable resources into a child that isn't mine?
I have found even bio dads dont want to invest their valuable resources

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM

102,260 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderJ View Post
It always puzzled me how men in the past could know their children were theirs before DNA testing came around. Especially in non-conventional situations.

For example, my grandfather had 2 out of wedlock sons in the 1960s and he assumed their paternity. How did he know they were really his? I doubt any man sound of mind would do that these days without a paternity test.

I never mentioned this to him out of respect but it's really hard to grasp in my head.
They either knew they were the girl's first, or the only one she was seeing at the time. In terms of their own family, they didn't care if there may have been some question about one of the kids not being theirs.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I have found even bio dads dont want to invest their valuable resources

Those are scummy guys, and generally and thankfully rare.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have more friends that have been married a few times, then friends that have stayed married. A few have stayed with their high school sweethearts, but not the majority.

Granted, I still live in the area I grew up in, so this may be a small town issue. those of us that have stayed, have even dated the same men. Like my best friend growing up is with my ex husband. Her ex is a good friend of mine that I refuse to date. My boyfriend was close with her one time, and he is my ex husbands cousin. My ex's girlfriends children have the same father as my boyfriends ex's kids. I could list these twisted scenarios for awhile. How is that for crazy?

And I don't mean the whole town is like this, but a handful of us have had very twisted together lives for 20 years.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,206,126 times
Quote:
I have more friends that have been married a few times, then friends that have stayed married. A few have stayed with their high school sweethearts, but not the majority.

Granted, I still live in the area I grew up in, so this may be a small town issue. those of us that have stayed, have even dated the same men. Like my best friend growing up is with my ex husband. Her ex is a good friend of mine that I refuse to date. My boyfriend was close with her one time, and he is my ex husbands cousin. My ex's girlfriends children have the same father as my boyfriends ex's kids. I could list these twisted scenarios for awhile. How is that for crazy?
If you live in a small town, stuff like that happens. Then there's everyone knowing everyone's business, gossip spreads more simply because it's a small area with people on top of one another, and usually not much goes on in small towns, so everyone stays in someone's business, and usually someone will have shared a partner. My cousin is/was with a guy she had a baby with, and he's got multiple kids with multiple women, and no job.

Small towns can be murder for dating, and stuff that seems common or alot in a small town may not be such in a city. Small towns usually don't have much diversity.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Well your friends aren't the norm. And yes, that's crazy. I try to avoid people with drama filled messes of lives. Sometimes I'm successful, other times not.

70% of marriages in the 90s have reached their 15+ year anniversary.

Of college educated people married in the 21st century, only 11% have divorced.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
If you live in a small town, stuff like that happens. Then there's everyone knowing everyone's business, gossip spreads more simply because it's a small area with people on top of one another, and usually not much goes on in small towns, so everyone stays in someone's business, and usually someone will have shared a partner. My cousin is/was with a guy she had a baby with, and he's got multiple kids with multiple women, and no job.

Small towns can be murder for dating, and stuff that seems common or alot in a small town may not be such in a city. Small towns usually don't have much diversity.
And it is not even that small! It seems those that have gone away, met their spouses and returned have been more successful at relationships.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,206,126 times
Quote:
And it is not even that small! It seems those that have gone away, met their spouses and returned have been more successful at relationships.
My brother did that too I believe. Some new girl he's been with for a while. He met her somewhere else, and she's moving here with him and they have an apartment together. His ex fiance had a kid by another guy, they had an ok relationship for some years, then he met this new girl and got with her. So he met his girl somewhere else, possibly school, and they're moving here together.

Small Town affairs in many cases don't seem to work. I have 3 fraternal aunts. Only 1 is married, and has been for years. The others, both, have 2 kids with 2 men that neither of them are with, and they never got married. Both now grandmothers. And the weird thing, the married aunt's husband is Jerry. Then the other 2 both had kids with guys named Terry. lol

My aunt who is married has 2 daughters. 1 was married until her husband died, and she just has different men now and again. Then the other has 3 kids with one man, who is her ex husband, and since then she's just with a string of different men. Then there's my cousin who has 2 or 3 kids with 2 women.

Hardly anyone is married on my father's side it seems. lol I can't even keep all the kids straight, there's so many of them. He has some half-siblings as well on his father's side.

Everyone grew up around here, and stayed here. Then HS, every time I turned around, I saw someone pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships