Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I was discussing this with my husband today. Do you think less of attractive man if he is dating/married to an unattractive woman? The issue came up because I have a supervisor at work. This guy is physically very attractive. He is tall, dark and really handsome. He has a great personality - very charming, social, real alpha male. Females at work are constantly vying for his attention. Only strange thing about this guy is that we have never met his wife. He does not bring her to any of the functions and despite many pictures of his children, he doesn't have a single picture of his wife in his office. So this has always been a source of speculation in the office. Well, recently I saw a picture of his wife and she is not really attractive at all. I am not a shallow person but I was shocked. The fact that he doesnt care about looks shows he really is a nice guy but part of me asks what is wrong with him? He could have done so much better. Also, why hide her from everyone at work? That would bother me if I was the wife. My husband and I are probably at same attractiveness level which is usually the case with most couples. I think when we see a really beautiful woman with an unattractive guy we assume he must be rich. Do you feel something is off with a guy who married an unattractive woman?
I cannot for the life of me figure why anyone would think less of anyone else based on a perceived disparity of "attractiveness" between them and their mate, or for that matter how much of a shallow, nosy prick one must be to even imagine it's any of their damned business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You said you were disappointed. That's probably where the comment about shallowness came from.
Yeah, that and the inherent value judgment in "he could have done better." What a thoroughly obnoxious thing to say about a woman the OP knows virtually nothing about.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:17 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
I used to work with this guy who I thought he was attractive but nothing out of this world. However most women (and even men) thought he was like a celebrity and every single thing he did was an event.

Every single of his girlfriends was called ugly. None of them met anybody's standards. When he finally got married according to our coworkers she was at least 10 years older than him. and he just marry her for the money. Since many records are public here in Miami I looked up their ages she was 2 years younger and only made around 47k a year. Oprah she was not.

People talk a lot of crap sometimes. They create these silly unreaslistic expectations as if we all should be dating George Clooney or Jessica Alba.

I had a boyfriend who a few people told me he was too ugly and I deserved better.(men and women)Then one day this boyfriend told me one of his friends told him I was too ugly for him, that he was a hansome guy and he could date better. He even gave him a long list of all the unnatractive features he thought I had. I was a teenager back then and I remember thinking "damn, I have all that stuff?" I don't think a model agency would have found so many unnatractive features.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
Quote:
I was discussing this with my husband today. Do you think less of attractive man if he is dating/married to an unattractive woman? The issue came up because I have a supervisor at work. This guy is physically very attractive. He is tall, dark and really handsome. He has a great personality - very charming, social, real alpha male. Females at work are constantly vying for his attention. Only strange thing about this guy is that we have never met his wife. He does not bring her to any of the functions and despite many pictures of his children, he doesn't have a single picture of his wife in his office. So this has always been a source of speculation in the office. Well, recently I saw a picture of his wife and she is not really attractive at all. I am not a shallow person but I was shocked. The fact that he doesnt care about looks shows he really is a nice guy but part of me asks what is wrong with him? He could have done so much better. Also, why hide her from everyone at work? That would bother me if I was the wife. My husband and I are probably at same attractiveness level which is usually the case with most couples. I think when we see a really beautiful woman with an unattractive guy we assume he must be rich. Do you feel something is off with a guy who married an unattractive woman?
Did you match scorecards or something of the sort when you were dating? If they are happily married, what business is it of yours to judge their relationship/marriage on the account of what you perceive to be attractive? Believe it or not, the world doesn't operate according to your superficial viewpoints.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Default Attractive men married to unattractive women

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder not City Data "experts".

Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
in question of this thread is probably average looking. Like consider this picture.

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/sa...&sw=640&sh=334

Could that woman do better than that guy? Yes. Is he unattractive? Not really. Is it so out of the realm of possibility that they could be together? Only if you make it so.
Such a great point! And underneath the glasses, the guy actually is pretty good-looking. But look at his smile--he looks like a great guy who's fun and makes his SO feel great! Women who look like her often have a lot of trouble meeting decent guys. They tend to attract arrogant, possessive/controlling, or sleazy types. And if she's highly intelligent, it makes it that much more challenging to find a mate. It looks like she got herself a great match!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:

i teach with a guy who is in his late 40s and gets hit on all the time by female students and every spring gets his annual requests to go to prom with them. the first time i met his wife i thought she was his mother. he is late 40s and looks mid 30s. she is late 40s and looks late 70s. and i'm not joking. he is in shape from playing in a community basketball league and working out at school, she sags down to her waist and has a nice skinner tube going for her. now she is a very nice lady don't get me wrong. but the two of them have been married for 20 years and nobody can figure out how or why.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Because some people actually believe, and hold to, this:

'Till death do us part.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
i teach with a guy who is in his late 40s and gets hit on all the time by female students and every spring gets his annual requests to go to prom with them. the first time i met his wife i thought she was his mother. he is late 40s and looks mid 30s. she is late 40s and looks late 70s. and i'm not joking. he is in shape from playing in a community basketball league and working out at school, she sags down to her waist and has a nice skinner tube going for her. now she is a very nice lady don't get me wrong. but the two of them have been married for 20 years and nobody can figure out how or why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice;
Because some people actually believe and hold to this:

'Till death do us part."
Exactly. Those people who can't figure out why/how they got together must be pretty stupid. Obviously, they married when they were young and attractive (those "nobodys" can do math, right?) So what are your associates suggesting, that he divorce her just because she hasn't aged well? Maybe she had several kids--it takes a toll on a woman's body. Maybe she's suffered from some chronic illness or something. And they probably have a ton in common, and make each other happy. She's probably been a fantastic mother. So he should leave her? Really??!

Those are some incredibly foolish people you hang around. I'm glad I don't know them. I wonder how long their marriages will last.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

People talk a lot of crap sometimes. They create these silly unreaslistic expectations as if we all should be dating George Clooney or Jessica Alba.

I had a boyfriend who a few people told me he was too ugly and I deserved better.(men and women)Then one day this boyfriend told me one of his friends told him I was too ugly for him, that he was a hansome guy and he could date better. He even gave him a long list of all the unnatractive features he thought I had. I was a teenager back then and I remember thinking "damn, I have all that stuff?" I don't think a model agency would have found so many unnatractive features.
This happened to me too.

One of my 'friends/acquaintances' told my friend that my ex was too good for me. That friend told me.

We are talking about two people who are the same age range, body type, race and neither of us were supermodels. I mean, talking about being nitpicky and shallow.

I also had male friends tell me women I was interested in "I could do better." Such ridiculous nitpicky shallowness.

I think it's great that the both of you could just see it for what it was, shallowness, instead of putting it on yourselves and turning it into a competition of who is better looking.

That is the kind of person I need to date.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
Men are less hung up on looks then women contrary to popular belief
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.