Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,351,693 times

Advertisements

Alpha annoys the F out of me. Not because I don't subscribe to the theory of alpha, beta, and omega to describe a man's place in the sexual market, but because outside of circles that actually understand the terms, its taken on a jersey shore esk stigma.

You see it all the time. I just saw a guy whining that this "alpha" male was being loud and obnoxious and hitting on the bartender all night. He went on to describe a juice head with a j shore haircut. This is the cartoon character that immediately comes to mind for most when people use the term alpha to describe a guy a particular situation.

I see it differently. While that guy may technically be an A type "alpha" personality, he's also a loud douchy cartoon character.

I see alpha and game as synonymous. And not the silly PUA "hit on everything that moves and lower her self esteem" misconceptions that are thrown around CD. "Alpha" and game are nothing more than building "inner game" aka true self confidence. It's about not melting into a love sick puppy dog in the presence of beautiful women. It's about not caring too much about any single one relationship (dont twist this into not being a loving partner) because you know that there are other options easily attainable which allows you to project a more aloof less clingy / needy attitude. Do you need to be able to be smooth when meeting new women to be alpha? Yes. Do you need to be a loud, obnoxious, spray tanned juicer douche to be alpha? No. Do you need to use women and treat them bad to be alpha or subscribe to game ideals? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:11 AM

11,804 posts, read 12,045,871 times
I think the problem is there is the true definition of alpha male and then there is the PUA/urban dictionary definition. They are not the same thing.

A true alpha male doesn't walk around thinking he is one and drawing attention to himself because he is one.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think the problem is there is the true definition of alpha male and then there is the PUA/urban dictionary definition. They are not the same thing.
Yep, I wish PUA culture would just go away. I feel really bad for guys who buy into it.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

A true alpha male doesn't walk around thinking he is one and drawing attention to himself because he is one.
Yes exactly. The problem is if you start using any terminology or voice opinions associated, you're labeled on this forum and your opinions undermined by their misconceptions of what game and alpha are.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Alpha annoys the F out of me. Not because I don't subscribe to the theory of alpha, beta, and omega to describe a man's place in the sexual market, but because outside of circles that actually understand the terms, its taken on a jersey shore esk stigma.

You see it all the time. I just saw a guy whining that this "alpha" male was being loud and obnoxious and hitting on the bartender all night. He went on to describe a juice head with a j shore haircut. This is the cartoon character that immediately comes to mind for most when people use the term alpha to describe a guy a particular situation.

I see it differently. While that guy may technically be an A type "alpha" personality, he's also a loud douchy cartoon character.

I see alpha and game as synonymous. And not the silly PUA "hit on everything that moves and lower her self esteem" misconceptions that are thrown around CD. "Alpha" and game are nothing more than building "inner game" aka true self confidence. It's about not melting into a love sick puppy dog in the presence of beautiful women. It's about not caring too much about any single one relationship (dont twist this into not being a loving partner) because you know that there are other options easily attainable which allows you to project a more aloof less clingy / needy attitude. Do you need to be able to be smooth when meeting new women to be alpha? Yes. Do you need to be a loud, obnoxious, spray tanned juicer douche to be alpha? No. Do you need to use women and treat them bad to be alpha or subscribe to game ideals? Absolutely not.
I think there are way too many common misconceptions about so called "alpha males" What is alpha males anyway? What are the true definition of bad boys?

I think people should just quit labeling altogether. Obviously, different people have different definition of "alpha male".

For example, long time ago, I read an article about Kurt Cobain. People thought he was the ultimate alpha male. Well, this guy went through identity crisis, had dealt with severe mental illness and depression. He had a lot of internal conflicts. However, since he was somebody "famous" Many Women wanted to sleep with him to earn bragging rights…they wanted to sleep with his rockstar persona not his real self. He perhaps was nothing but a beta happened to be somewhat good looking and famous.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
Yes exactly. The problem is if you start using any terminology or voice opinions associated, you're labeled on this forum and your opinions undermined by their misconceptions of what game and alpha are.
So why not ask real questions using actual words instead of admittedly tainted lingo?

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,892,725 times
You invision cartoons of people?

Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So why not ask real questions using actual words instead of admittedly tainted lingo?
Because a lot of the "lingo" makes perfect sense. Just because you close your mind off and immediately go to a place of judgement when you see a term like "white knight" or "beta," doesnt mean I need to spell it out like a kindergarten teacher.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,199,716 times
Quote:
Because a lot of the "lingo" makes perfect sense. Just because you close your mind off and immediately go to a place of judgement when you see a term like "white knight" or "beta," doesnt mean I need to spell it out like a kindergarten teacher.
It depends what your point is. If you point is to clarify your opinion of the meaning of these terms, if that is your end goal, then you are quite right. But the truth is that language evolves. (Not a fan! There are words I want to stay meaning what I want them to mean!) And we have no control over that. So if your end goal, your POINT, is to communicate about the underlying value of the concepts that the words intend to portray, then yes changing your language will help you meet that goal.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think there are way too many common misconceptions about so called "alpha males" What is alpha males anyway? What are the true definition of bad boys?

I think people should just quit labeling altogether. Obviously, different people have different definition of "alpha male".

For example, long time ago, I read an article about Kurt Cobain. People thought he was the ultimate alpha male. Well, this guy went through identity crisis, had dealt with severe mental illness and depression. He had a lot of internal conflicts. However, since he was somebody "famous" Many Women wanted to sleep with him to earn bragging rights…they wanted to sleep with his rockstar persona not his real self. He perhaps was nothing but a beta happened to be somewhat good looking and famous.
Nope he was alpha as he was talented, rich, got girls, ect.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships