Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM

302 posts, read 308,056 times

Advertisements

So, I am planning on moving to Houston very soon due to work. I am from the UK and live there but travel to the US often. Mainly between Seattle (which is where I wanna be but step by step!) and the UK but also Houston in the recent year.

Now after a long hurdle and set backs, things are beginning to look my way in terms of being able to move to the US.

I always loved American women but seems like I am not being able to find any women here. I guess it doesn't help that I am in town for a couple of weeks but nonetheless - I've always been told there are decent women around here.

so since there is a big culture difference between here and the UK, what do you guys and gals recommend in finding women and how does the whole thing work here?

I admit, I need to get into better shape as I have put on weight recently (due to other issues like stress and stuff) but ive been told that Americans like the brits....

please share and discuss. I would like to know where ya'll meet your girls and what the protocol here is.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
If you want to get in better shape (and can afford it) - hire a personal trainer. A gym membership alone often isn't motivation enough and a trainer can guide you through your goals. Get a good trainer - ask their certification (many only have an Internet certification) - get one with hands on training certification. Also a good place to meet people in fitness programs. So two goals at once :-) What side of town are you on?

If you have certain interests in your free time that you'd like to meet someone who shares those interests try looking at the various group on meetup.com Pretty much every hobby or activity you like will have a group on meetup. Do you like to volunteer - have a cause that is near and dear to your heart - volunteer with that organization and perhaps meet new people who share your interest. Even if you meet people of the same sex, they may have female friends you can meet through them. Not living here is probably a hindrance to you meeting someone though.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 PM

thank you and I agree with your last part about the fact that I don't live here does not help.

one thing I don't get it, I keep hearing that people travel here, there and everywhere to be with their partner - to me, distance does not matter but when it comes to it, they just bail straight off the bat. so makes no sense to me.

I just want to meet someone decent but not sure exactly where to meet (besides the good suggestions you gave). I guess it doesn't help that I am stuck in my hotel room and no idea where to go! lol.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
It's going to be hard to foster a long distance relationship. A lot of those are relationships that began while both people were living in the same city and perhaps a job separated them but because they had already established a close relationship, they were able to continue long-distance. You being here in little short bursts doesn't leave much time to develop a relationship from the beginning. So it's probably not you, but your circumstances. I don't think a whole lot of Internet dating sites because most people I know that try them out comment that whoever you meet on those, is on every other site out there as well. Although I do know two different people who have met spouses through the company Great Expectations. A very high priced dating service for busy executives mostly.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM

yeh ive also noticed that about dating sites, especially in the UK - women just are always on so many sites and then moan/complain they cant find someone when they are infront of them. its one of many reasons why I am leaving the UK would you believe. the attitude and behaviour of people there and the corrupted society.... don't get me started.

but anyway... I would do whatever it takes, that's not a problem - the problem is finding someone and meeting. for me, internet helps since I am busy (but structured and DO make time for that person) but also my profession is... in IT

Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
If you like animals, volunteer at an animal shelter when you're in the U.S.. The volunteers are mostly women, so guys tend to get a lot of attention when they volunteer. They especially like guys who like cats, because many women are looking for guys who are sensitive and kind, and they see cat-loving guys as exactly what they're looking for.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Don't stay on the internet all day long, and go out and meet people.

That's what I'd do if there were events and such happening around here at least. Best I can do is volunteer once a week helping kids.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 PM

31 posts, read 43,065 times
Maybe you should look more in the Seattle area, not that those women are better but a Texas woman may not be looking to uproot herself to move away from her life here. That's a lot to throw at a gal to start a relationship.

Also this thing you have for American women, is it because British women wont have you, or is it something about the accents?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 AM

both.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 AM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
If you are a "white" guy with British accent, you can be 400 pounds and still get laid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships