Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,605,281 times

Advertisements

I always had a "test" when dating.

If she absolutely never ate anything "unhealthy", it was as much a turn off as someone who ate nothing BUT fast-food or other unhealthy foods.

The former is someone who is way too high-maintenance for me, someone who can't cut loose and enjoy a beer and hot dog at a ballgame is too uppity or health-nutty for me. The latter is obvious, she won't have a healthy, long life. I think balance is important - you should be healthy, but if you never cut loose, that's a sign of someone too uptight for me.

I eat generally healthy, but like to splurge from time to time. My wife is more or less the same, although she cooks on the healthier side usually, which is nice for both of us. My "cooking" is basically on the grill stuff, but we've come up with some creative ideas there, too.

At this point my post probably belongs in the Food forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM

36,623 posts, read 30,945,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
Well, I disagree on the quality thing, but can enjoy a McDonald's fry or hamburger once in a while.

I actually prefer to cook at home.

However, what really annoys me is this - I'll go out with my women friends, and inevitably, one of them orders a huge salad because it's "healthy" yet, with all the stuff in it, it's higher in calories than if she'd have just ordered a steak or pasta dish instead.
Maybe they are watching carbs instead of calories or watching their $$$.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Now, I know the title belongs in the food forum but this really is more of a relationship topic.

Just about every girl I've dated hates fast food. However, they love going out to eat at restaurants. To me, the taste/quality of food difference isn't THAT extreme. I suggest fast food, they get disguted and insulted. Then they suggest a $15 meal and think its healthier.

I don't mind spending some cash every once in a while for a meal but every time...thats just not happening. I've figured out the few ones the girl I'm dating likes and stick with those.

Is it because I usually pay for the entire bill? Do women eat fast food with their friends and whatnot but expect more with their man?

Considering I usually pay for the entire bill, I get insulted when everytime we eat out...she wants a restaurant. I can get 3-4 fast food meals for the two of us with one restaurant meal.

Now, this isn't the first...second...or even third date. I know better than that. This is for longer term dating.

Any other dudes with this issue?
Ugh. Fast food is NASTY. You should be glad that a woman doesn't want to eat that trash and get fat off it.

On the other hand, eating out at restaurants does get expensive. Why don't you suggest something more affordable as an idea for a date like a picnic or cooking her dinner at your place if money is the main objection?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,858,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe they are watching carbs instead of calories or watching their $$$.
Could be, although generally I'd say the carb content is pretty high too.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,858,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I always had a "test" when dating.

If she absolutely never ate anything "unhealthy", it was as much a turn off as someone who ate nothing BUT fast-food or other unhealthy foods.

The former is someone who is way too high-maintenance for me, someone who can't cut loose and enjoy a beer and hot dog at a ballgame is too uppity or health-nutty for me. The latter is obvious, she won't have a healthy, long life. I think balance is important - you should be healthy, but if you never cut loose, that's a sign of someone too uptight for me.

I eat generally healthy, but like to splurge from time to time. My wife is more or less the same, although she cooks on the healthier side usually, which is nice for both of us. My "cooking" is basically on the grill stuff, but we've come up with some creative ideas there, too.

At this point my post probably belongs in the Food forum.
I actually know exactly what you mean. I try to eat healthy. However, I will always like "junk food" too...no matter how hard I try to convince myself that I don't.

These fitness guru types that say "once you eat healthy, you won't crave junk food again" are FULL OF IT. At least for me.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,137,397 times
Unless they 'eat healthy' .... They can afford fast food on their own.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
If she hates fast food so badly, why don't she cook something nice at home and invite you for dinner? After that you two can do whatever planned - cuddle at home, go to movies, have a drink. You could offer to help or bring some items for the dinner. Good way to spend time together, learn to know each other

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM

105 posts, read 284,269 times
I eat fast food occasionally, but I can get that any time. When I'm dating someone and he takes me out, I like to go to places I don't go to often.

Plus I dunno. Having a date in the Burger King dining room just feels kinda .. trashy.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,019,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If she hates fast food so badly, why don't she cook something nice at home and invite you for dinner? After that you two can do whatever planned - cuddle at home, go to movies, have a drink. You could offer to help or bring some items for the dinner. Good way to spend time together, learn to know each other
I'd be willing to bet that if they refused to eat FF, they probably don't drink either. Empty calories and what not, and carbs.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,633,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Now, I know the title belongs in the food forum but this really is more of a relationship topic.

Just about every girl I've dated hates fast food. However, they love going out to eat at restaurants. To me, the taste/quality of food difference isn't THAT extreme. I suggest fast food, they get disguted and insulted. Then they suggest a $15 meal and think its healthier.

I don't mind spending some cash every once in a while for a meal but every time...thats just not happening. I've figured out the few ones the girl I'm dating likes and stick with those.

Is it because I usually pay for the entire bill? Do women eat fast food with their friends and whatnot but expect more with their man?

Considering I usually pay for the entire bill, I get insulted when everytime we eat out...she wants a restaurant. I can get 3-4 fast food meals for the two of us with one restaurant meal.

Now, this isn't the first...second...or even third date. I know better than that. This is for longer term dating.

Any other dudes with this issue?
I don't mind fast food, but yes, it looks cheap if you're taking women to Burger King all the time. The only exception I will make is Panda Express because I love that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships