Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,676,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
You're still friends with your ex-bf? Wow. The dude your dating must have low self-esteem.

In response to you last paragraph: it's not "some people" aren't capable of having friends with the opposite sex. No one is capable. That's what I'm trying to say.
Um...not true. My best friend is a guy and we've been friends since high school, going on 15 years now. Neither one of us has any 'feelings' towards each other and we've had PLENTY of opportunities to hook up or otherwise be together. I'm not physically attractive to him, he's not physically attractive to me and we both know we wouldn't make a good couple. It would be a huge disaster, actually...

I guess these last 15 years have been a lie and I'm going to tell him I can't be the best man at his wedding next year. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM

11,406 posts, read 24,506,370 times
Quote:
You're still friends with your ex-bf? Wow. The dude your dating must have low self-esteem.

In response to you last paragraph: it's not "some people" aren't capable of having friends with the opposite sex. No one is capable. That's what I'm trying to say.
No, it's just a problem you and a few other men seem to have. The rest of us are fine with it.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,464,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
lol that is healing...that normally comes after sex has taken place, not before.

Baby I'm hot just like an oven
I need some lovin'
And baby, I can't hold it much longer
It's getting stronger and stronger

And when
I get that feeling
I want Sexual Healing

Baby I got sick this morning
A sea was storming inside of me
Baby I think I'm capsizing
The waves are rising and rising

And when
I get that feeling
I want Sexual Healing

No? lol

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,420,133 times
Quote:

I am not sure why people think this way. Most of my friends are male! Have been all of my life. I surely do not sleep with all of my friends. Ever.

In my life, I find that it is much easier to be friends with men, and there is far less drama involved.

I have a couple female friends, and I will tell you what, one of them makes me insane! I see her one time a week, sometimes two, and I can't handle it!

There is no reason people of the opposite sex can't be friends. People should be able to control themselves as not to have to sleep with every person of the opposite sex they come in contact with.

Why is that a problem?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,475,395 times
that is sexual NEEDING and the feeling is a combination of emotions and desires, none of which need to be directly sexual in nature.

....but at this point im probably over thinking it

Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM

415 posts, read 600,845 times
I love how these people wanna give their anecdotal examples in an effort to disprove my statement. "I'm friends with the opposite sex. So it must mean that men and women can have a problem free, platonic relationship." Somehow you completely overlook the fact that the vast majority of men and women don't have friends of the opposite sex. They don't have it because they don't wanna b.s. about it.

Of course, those posters who are friends with the opposite sex are going to say it's impossible that one or both parties harbors lust for the other one. They won't blatantly admit it because it would just bring out the fact that their relationship is a sham and it isn't platonic. They have nothing to gain by admitting it.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,219,594 times
Quote:
I love how these people wanna give their anecdotal examples in an effort to disprove my statement. "I'm friends with the opposite sex. So it must mean that men and women can have a problem free, platonic relationship." Somehow you completely overlook the fact that the vast majority of men and women don't have friends of the opposite sex. They don't have it because they don't wanna b.s. about it.

Of course, those posters who are friends with the opposite sex are going to say it's impossible that one or both parties harbors lust for the other one. They won't blatantly admit it because it would just bring out the fact that their relationship is a sham and it isn't platonic. They have nothing to gain by admitting it.
You're like an ostrich with your head in the ground. Like I said before - quite clearly, YOU are incapable of having a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I am incapable of flying a plane but I'm not so egotistical as to think that because I'm not capable of it that nobody is capable of it.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM

415 posts, read 600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You're like an ostrich with your head in the ground. Like I said before - quite clearly, YOU are incapable of having a platonic relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I am incapable of flying a plane but I'm not so egotistical as to think that because I'm not capable of it that nobody is capable of it.
Fine. I'll admit you have friends with the opposite sex. I'm just pointing out one simple thing. When it comes to the issue of platonic male/female friendships, people fall into one of two categories.

1. The realistic person who knows men and women can't have platonic relationships. Most of the world's population falls into this category.
2. The deluded person who won't admit that one or both parties harbors lust for the other because that would mean exposing their "platonic relationship" as a sham.

Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me if I fall into the first category.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,219,594 times
Quote:
Fine. I'll admit you have friends with the opposite sex. I'm just pointing out one simple thing. When it comes to the issue of platonic male/female friendships, people fall into one of two categories.

1. The realistic person who knows men and women can't have platonic relationships. Most of the world's population falls into this category.
2. The deluded person who won't admit that one or both parties harbors lust for the other because that would mean exposing their "platonic relationship" as a sham.

I guess I thought you were capable of mature conversation. My bad.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,676,263 times
Quote:

I have a large group of friends, both male and female, and we haven't all slept with each other.... so I have no idea what you're talking about.

In fact, if a guy doesn't have at least one female friend I consider that a red flag because that usually means he only views women as walking vaginas and not actual people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships