Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Get real. Don't get me wrong, I spent my 20s having a good time, but there's a time limit on it. As people age they are simply not going to have the same options, so staying single for that reason is nonsensical.
And getting married/settling down is sensible because?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
And getting married/settling down is sensible because?...
Why ask me? That's certainly not my argument. I'm just saying the OP list is off the mark. Beyond that, I really don't think marriage is a good idea for most, but it's so individual.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:15 PM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
No, they're not pros of being single. For example, (no. 5 and no. 7) couples generate more wealth than do single people and have more assets. So, I don't see how that's a pro of being single. Married people also have greater professional/career success than do single people. Also, if you are going to focus on your career I'm not sure how partying is going to coincide with that. So, no. 2 & 3 contradict each other. The sexual smorgasbord is just funny (try reading this forum). I think 1 and 8 are realistic.
If you want to split hairs yeah some of them are sorta of unreal/contradictory/etc..also one of the main reasons married couples tend to build more wealth is due to the actual ones getting married/staying married being more affluent.
2 and 3 are only contradict each other if he (author) is stating to swing to one extreme, for example PARTY/try to get laid all the time, while neglecting work. I'm pretty sure he is not saying that.
As for the smorgasbord, in some ways he has a point..If you're main goal is to smash there are always going to be women there, quality/baggage of them is a whole diff. issue though.

Rereading his thing though I;m kinda on the fence about #1..If you want to have kids/married as male you do sorta have a time limit as you get older there are less available women, women have kids already and don't want to have anymore, after a certain age you will stop getting young women who could have a child easy,etc..

Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
While the reasons don't sit well with everyone they have been the prevalent reasons for men not to get married as long as I have been dating. It's basically a no compromise life in the minds of many men.

In this brave new world with the ever expanding definition of 'What constitudes a couple' it's no surprise that many men follow those guidelines as well as other non-old fashion ones. Women have more options too. The last two women I briiefly dated were Bi, so they have the added option of getting another woman.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-29-2013 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM

168 posts, read 314,667 times
Nothing is more destructive to society than marriage. Women's sense of entitlement means they could never agree with the article. I think being in the death row is not as bad as being married.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
Nothing is more destructive to society than marriage. Women's sense of entitlement means they could never agree with the article. I think being in the death row is not as bad as being married.
I'm a woman and I agree with this article.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm a woman and I agree with this article.
Then you're surely not like the 99% women around.

Obviously if the article was the other way around you would be reading "You go girl". That's why it's hard to take women seriously in such discussions.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Then you're surely not like the 99% women around.

Obviously if the article was the other way around you would be reading "You go girl". That's why it's hard to take women seriously in such discussions.
This type of thinking in a women is not desirable trust me. People (men especially) automatically assume extremely negative stereotypes with women who prefer not to settle down/marry. They assume they are not relationship material period.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:37 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Nothing is more destructive to society than marriage.
Not true but it's no skin off my back if you continue to believe that.
Quote:
Women's sense of entitlement means they could never agree with the article.
Again, not true. I don't agree or disagree with the article. I just think that it's contradictory.
Quote:
I think being in the death row is not as bad as being married.
If that's how you feel, then I honestly hope that you never get married. I also hope that you don't wind up on death row - because although you might think it's better than being married, I hardly think of death row as an ideal place to spend the remainder of your life.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

I always wear a black tie to friends' weddings (fortunately there have been few) and one day the bride asked me if there was any reason why I was wearing it. I just said "You must know it better than I do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships