Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM

349 posts, read 892,439 times

Advertisements

I don't date often at all, but if I meet an interesting guy, I will talk to him casually when the opportunity is there and if he seems nice, smart and interested, we exchange numbers and typically, it starts with cute texts for a few days.

Here is where I am completely mystified: They don't call. Yes, I know men are more prone to phone-shyness but how else do they expect to get to know someone? In all seriousness, one guy I met, after a week of only texts, I actually mentioned how I prefer calls to texts, and I guess he decided that was too much effort and never heard from him again (yay).

If I were the guy, I would rather call, set a time to get together and take things from there, because it is natural to desire to see someone we found attractive and fun to talk to...at least that is how dating used to be...

There isn't enough conversation had in person or via text to determine genuine like or dislike. So, rejection being somewhat of a possibility - and that's OK - here are my other ideas on why this happens:

a) they aren't really single
b) they are lazy
c) there are just that many women they have to choose from that are just throwing themselves at them

Strange to feel like I am asking a whole lot - OMG a phone call! Noooooooooooooo This trend seems to have taken over in the past few years and I just wonder why.

My preference is to forget any guy who can't manage to call at some point, and personally, I think a week is too long to go with text only if you were truly interested.

It's completely mysterious to me what the thought process is here, except a guy friend said that men being "nice" to women is now seen as "weak" and that chivalry is dead

And...no, I don't blow up their phones, I keep it on the level they text (ex. if it's have a beautiful day, I would reply with something nice & simple also but no other texts). If I take the lead, I'll never know if he is genuinely interested, so I try to let things happen at their own pace.

However, if the pace is like watching paint dry, naturally, I have now lost interest.

Just curious on anyone's opinion and similar experiences...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,460,111 times
I hate both. I prefer meeting face to face ASAP as in right away even same day. Oh nvm. I thought this is an online meet. So you met them and exchange numbers. I still prefer knowing them by meeting rather than phone/text - I think it's a waste of time.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 AM

523 posts, read 844,559 times
Texting all the time is just lazy. I am more likely to date a guy who actually calls some of the time. The smart guys these days know to call if they are interested.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,128,710 times
I refuse to call people on the phone, I only text or meet in person. If they don't like that, so be it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,807,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I don't date often at all, but if I meet an interesting guy, I will talk to him casually when the opportunity is there and if he seems nice, smart and interested, we exchange numbers and typically, it starts with cute texts for a few days.

Here is where I am completely mystified: They don't call. Yes, I know men are more prone to phone-shyness but how else do they expect to get to know someone? In all seriousness, one guy I met, after a week of only texts, I actually mentioned how I prefer calls to texts, and I guess he decided that was too much effort and never heard from him again (yay).

If I were the guy, I would rather call, set a time to get together and take things from there, because it is natural to desire to see someone we found attractive and fun to talk to...at least that is how dating used to be...

There isn't enough conversation had in person or via text to determine genuine like or dislike. So, rejection being somewhat of a possibility - and that's OK - here are my other ideas on why this happens:

a) they aren't really single
b) they are lazy
c) there are just that many women they have to choose from that are just throwing themselves at them

Strange to feel like I am asking a whole lot - OMG a phone call! Noooooooooooooo This trend seems to have taken over in the past few years and I just wonder why.

My preference is to forget any guy who can't manage to call at some point, and personally, I think a week is too long to go with text only if you were truly interested.

It's completely mysterious to me what the thought process is here, except a guy friend said that men being "nice" to women is now seen as "weak" and that chivalry is dead

And...no, I don't blow up their phones, I keep it on the level they text (ex. if it's have a beautiful day, I would reply with something nice & simple also but no other texts). If I take the lead, I'll never know if he is genuinely interested, so I try to let things happen at their own pace.

However, if the pace is like watching paint dry, naturally, I have now lost interest.

Just curious on anyone's opinion and similar experiences...thanks
I couldn't have summed up my feelings and reactions to this phenom any better.

I was told that it's an age thing but then I noticed that men my age and older do the same thing. When I asked them why they do it too they said its what all the young people do and that I should get with the times, as if two people who are conversing don't make their own decisions. I agree with your list of reasons a,b, or c.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 AM

11,886 posts, read 12,197,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Texting all the time is just lazy. I am more likely to date a guy who actually calls some of the time. The smart guys these days know to call if they are interested.
I agree with this. Although I've never been in the situation of someone only wanting to text, when I met my SO, he wasn't a much of Facebook user, and he didn't like talking on the phone. But he found me on FB via our mutual friend's FB page, and from there we exchanged #s and he called me that night and we talked for three hours. He still uses FB only once or twice a year, and still hates talking on the phone, but he did both as it was worth the effort because he wanted a relationship.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM

349 posts, read 892,439 times
Default Thanks...not alone being mystified by this

It seems to me that if I take the lead, then I'm going to be "needy/insecure/clingy/desperate" but if I don't, then these so-called men tend to take it as rejection maybe, I don't know. I am so not a game player and have tried to be discerning in choosing men who I would feel comfortable with (i.e. they seem genuinely nice, kind and smart and their is some flirting back and forth) and doing my damndest to avoid hit-it & quit-it players.

These are men I've either met through friends or at local places over the course of time - I loathe online dating, so haven't done it.

Much more to learn from personal interaction, but maybe this is what these kind of men are afraid of...

To "burgler"...so even if you really liked someone, you won't call, even if that is how they'd prefer to communicate before meeting you? How does texting and no calling ever lead to a relationship? I'll have to re-read your post if I misunderstood but please help to explain.

Someday, I hope to meet a confident man, single who actually asks for number, calls me and takes me on a real date (simple is fine). That's going to be like finding a frickin' unicorn LOL

Last edited by FreeSpirited1; 05-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,650,485 times
I found that its a little bit of a generational difference. When i dated women in their 20s, texting was usualy the only form of communication. When dealing with women in their 30s and 40s, it seems that they often prefer a phone conversation, or would at least expect a guy to call when asking them out etc etc. on a side note, todays nonstop phone use is really getting out of control. Ive been on dates, dinners, events where girls i was with would not put their phone down, not because they thought i wasnt interesting enough, but because its norm. I have taken a phone out of a girl ba d and threw it about 30 yards once, after telli g her twice that i find it rude for her to be glued to it, and that it was not acceptable to me.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM

523 posts, read 844,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
Someday, I hope to meet a confident man, single who actually asks for number, calls me and takes me on a real date (simple is fine). That's going to be like finding a frickin' unicorn LOL

Haha! Chivalry is not dead, but it's a lot harder to find nowadays. When men ask what kind of guys I like or what I am looking for, this is on the top of the list. If a man really wants to get to know you, he will do what it takes.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,171,661 times
I don't like talking on the phone, but I do think it's nice when a guy calls even if it's just for 5 minutes to say hi and make plans. If we really click in person then it doesn't matter to me if we don't talk on the phone much. When I did online dating I preferred to meet as soon as we both felt that we wanted to meet. Texting for weeks is pointless and sometimes you get the wrong impression of what someone is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships