Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Then what are you supposed to call it if you were seeing someone but isn't anymore, regardless of whether you were exclusive or not?
Why call it anything? It wasn't a "relationship". It needs no label. Just say you're no longer dating or seeing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,567,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So I was seeing this guy for a bit over 2 months, and ended it with him a couple of weeks ago, we were never exclusive. I ended it with him because I caught him being dishonest with me, but there were also other things that bothered me about him, I felt he was manipulative and self-absorbed as well. We were set up by close mutual friends and that's how it all started.

Anyway a couple of days after I ended with him, he called my friend's husband (who is the mutual friend who set us up) and asked him what he had heard about us, my friend's husband replied saying nothing much othere than that his wife had mentioned to him that we had broke up, the guy's response was "well no we didn't break up cause we were never official", which I thought was a pretty jerky thing to say, who cares if we were official or not, a break up is still a break up is it not? Or was this just his ego talking because I ended it with him?
Yes, ego, which explains the reasons you broke it off.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,820,314 times
Quote:
Then what are you supposed to call it if you were seeing someone but isn't anymore, regardless of whether you were exclusive or not?
My thoughts exactly. Granted I never even said we broke up I just said we ended it (which to me, means the same thing), but my friend's husband used the term "broke up" and I guess that rubbed him the wrong way.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,010,831 times
He was just being childish. It's like saying, 'No, she didn't dump me, it was mutual.' Whether it's true or not, saying it makes him seem insecure and whiny.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Call it nothing. The person's not an ex, you didn't break up, you just aren't seeing one another anymore. It doesn't need a label. If anything, "Oh, that's somebody I used to date" would suffice.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
We were not exclusive, but we did speak almost everyday and see each other each other at least once a week, and we were intimate, so while it was not serious I did think it was more than just a casual fling, but maybe that's just me. Either way it doesn't really matter, I think I might've just started this thread out of curiosity and boredom.
It was probably a casual fling, to him.

I went out with a guy a handful of times, between relationships. We got along, we both knew we weren't looking for serious or exclusive, but enjoyed one another's company. Then we each met somebody where we pursued something serious, and we stopped seeing one another. We are still friendly. We didn't break up, because we weren't ever in a relationship. It was very casual, on both sides.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,224,367 times
Break up vs. break it off. Does it matter? Not really. But it does sound like the guy has an ego. Yeah, sure, folks here will get on you for being miffed at his disavowal of your casual dating interactions (for want of a better term). But the take-home message here is that you did the right thing by getting rid of a guy creepy and aggressive enough to call a third party and ask about you after things are over.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,820,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Break up vs. break it off. Does it matter? Not really. But it does sound like the guy has an ego. Yeah, sure, folks here will get on you for being miffed at his disavowal of your casual dating interactions (for want of a better term). But the take-home message here is that you did the right thing by getting rid of a guy creepy and aggressive enough to call a third party and ask about you after things are over.
Yup! I'm not sure if that was the sole reason he called my friend's husband but just the fact that he brought it up and what he said, confirmed to me I did the right thing!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Just a non-commited relationship that did not develop. Just move on. This is a good example of why it's good to wait while learning about the other person, Which you did and received answers for it. You two stopped seeing each other, Labels are irrelevant now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships