Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times

Advertisements

For the rejection-phobes (from a recovering rejection phobe

A lot of things are guaranteed. Two of them are rejection, and death. Why did I choose these two words in the same sentence? Seems absurd, doesn't it? Yet, this is how some of men feel about rejection. I have always known that rejection is far from the worst thing to happen to someone. Why did I fear it? For many reasons including all the hundreds of reasons listed on this forum alone.

How I handle rejection is that I have acquired some perspective. I have the understanding that there are plenty of women in the world. You walk up, she says no. You move on to the next. Does rejection still hurt? Not as much as it used to. Can it get nasty? Yes. If someone gets nasty to you and you were a gentleman about your approach, then understand that it is probably more her, than you. If a multitude of women are getting nasty, then you might have to do a self examination. However, a simple no, is not as bad as you may think.

(spoken from the male perspective which I only know, but this goes in general)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Rejection is a part of life in that most people will experience it at some point and of course you have to keep going after you've been rejected if you want to have anything, but being rejected over and over is a very painful experience (hell, it's even painful to experience once) and the more you experience it, the harder it becomes to take the steps you need to.

That is just my feeling on it.

Females get rejected in the sense that a male will overlook her or not approach her. Or he'll approach her but then change his mind and go off with another girl (very common in the early stages, not talking about being dumped). Both genders get friendzoned sometimes too. That is also rejection.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,619 times
There are good books available on amazon that can help. Look for "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway" by Susan Jeffers. She has several books on this topic.

But guys should also study/think about how door-to-door salesmen, comedians, and broadway actors have done this. It's really all about mind set, breaking new barriers, etc., and of course practice.

Approach anxiety is such an interesting psychological enigma. Really, how is that guys get nervous about meeting an attractive woman? So strange we have gotten to this point.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Can it get nasty? Yes. If someone gets nasty to you and you were a gentleman about your approach, then understand that it is probably more her, than you.
A simple no, no thank you or "I have a boyfriend" is ok and will not hurt my feelings in the slightest. If she gets rude, demeaning or belligerent the she better watch out because if I've got a drink handy then it's going in her face.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
For the rejection-phobes (from a recovering rejection phobe

A lot of things are guaranteed. Two of them are rejection, and death.
I think you may have perhaps forgotten taxes, in the mix of guaranteed things in life, above...

Quote:

You walk up, she says no. You move on to the next. Does rejection still hurt? Not as much as it used to.

The problem with rejection and the kind that can really crush a guy's spirit and soul is not really say 1-10 rejections, but more like 100-200 (universal/mass) rejections...

Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Rejection is a part of life in that most people will experience it at some point and of course you have to keep going after you've been rejected if you want to have anything, but being rejected over and over is a very painful experience (hell, it's even painful to experience once) and the more you experience it, the harder it becomes to take the steps you need to.

Females get rejected in the sense that a male will overlook her or not approach her. Or he'll approach her but then change his mind and go off with another girl (very common in the early stages, not talking about being dumped). Both genders get friendzoned sometimes too. That is also rejection.
that is a far cry from the guy who has to engage the female.....you dont know if she is single, unavailable, a lesbian, has cramps and despises all men, not in the mood to be approached, etc. etc,

like i say-dogs have it made,,,a couple sniffs and they know right where they stand,,no bs

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
...but being rejected over and over is a very painful experience (hell, it's even painful to experience once) and the more you experience it, the harder it becomes to take the steps you need to.

Agreed 100% with your excellent and very well-spoken analysis above, my friend srjth Lol, you said it much better and more elegantly than I did, in my post

Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
I don't have approach anxiety, unless the guy is acting like a real jerk or belligerent in general, at which time I'd probably get turned off by him and not want to get to know him anyway. What I experience is a crippling feeling of intimidation after I've either approached a guy or he's approached me and we start talking. I enter into a state of shock that it's really happening and I freeze in fear and start thinking bad things (usually about myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that is a far cry from the guy who has to engage the female.....you dont know if she is single, unavailable, a lesbian, has cramps and despises all men, not in the mood to be approached, etc. etc,

like i say-dogs have it made,,,a couple sniffs and they know right where they stand,,no bs
Meh. I don't have approach anxiety because it's easy for me to take no when it's delivered immediately. I would never wait a long time to approach someone. That is a mistake, imho. You set yourself up for a greater feeling of disappointment that way, if he/she says no.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM

361 posts, read 748,323 times
I used to think rejection was an awful, soul-crushing experience.

Then, I got older. Now I think it is one of the best things that can happen to a person. And the other person does all the work.

There are many reasons for a rejection, most of them bogus or made up. But you have to give the other person credit if they are the ones coming to you. It takes courage, unless a person is deliberately trying to mean (and that DOES happen).

But overall, the person is probably doing you a favor. You are freed up to pursue other interests, without the access baggage being dragged along.

Bottom line is - why would you care? If a person does not want to be with you, why would you want to be with them?

Look at it as a big time saver.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
I don't have approach anxiety, unless the guy is acting like a real jerk or belligerent in general, at which time I'd probably get turned off by him and not want to get to know him anyway. What I experience is a crippling feeling of intimidation after I've either approached a guy or he's approached me and we start talking. I enter into a state of shock that it's really happening and I freeze in fear and start thinking bad things (usually about myself).

Meh. I don't have approach anxiety because it's easy for me to take no when it's delivered immediately. I would never wait a long time to approach someone. That is a mistake, imho. You set yourself up for a greater feeling of disappointment that way, if he/she says no.
you proved my point, it's much easier for woman, men dont get offended
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships