Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The key to the success of your long-term relathionship is?
great chemistry 11 24.44%
good luck 9 20.00%
common interests 20 44.44%
active sex life with your partner 17 37.78%
an every day work on your relationship 17 37.78%
having successful relationship of your/your partner's parents as an example 3 6.67%
compatibility 29 64.44%
sense of humor 16 35.56%
other (specify in post if possible) 12 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 AM

156 posts, read 175,831 times

Advertisements

Please share the main reasons (in your opinion) for the success of your long-term relationship, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:14 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,831,927 times
You missed "All of the Above" as an option. That would be my choice.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 AM

156 posts, read 175,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You missed "All of the Above" as an option. That would be my choice.
oops, it is too late to change anything in the poll, anyway thanks for the option there is also the possibility of multiple choice though

Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
From all the older folks I know who have been happily married 20-plus years, the number one foundation is respect. The husband and wife have a sincere reverence for each other. If that is not there, I think you can have all the other things in the poll, but it will be like the foolish man who built the house upon the sand, it will not stand up when the waves of life come in hard.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,432,700 times
For me there is no short list that keeps my relationship with the girls going. It is a mix of many things including sex – keeping myself and the relationship interesting and forward moving and exciting – and much more.

If I was forced to pick one thing though it would simply be “communication”. Mutual, frequent and on going communication about ourselves – our lives – our relationship and our feelings is indispensable.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM

6,493 posts, read 6,703,346 times
There are a lot of important factors on your list. But for us, the foundation that supports all of the rest is RESPECT. Genuine respect allows for trust, healthy sex life, desire to share activities and interests, humor, and ongoing compatibility.

A respectful relationship is a WONDERFUL one!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
Please share the main reasons (in your opinion) for the success of your long-term relationship, thanks
None of the poll answers.

1. Not keeping score.
2. Knowing when to let things go.
3. Choosing the right person.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristarina View Post
You forgot: "keep your mouth shut.". Lol

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM

39,320 posts, read 27,699,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
None of the poll answers.

1. Not keeping score.
2. Knowing when to let things go.
3. Choosing the right person.
this times 1000

I also want to add

a. A person needs to be a grounded, respectful, sane individual first before entering into the dating scene
b. The ability to bond with others while keeping his or her own identiy and individuality.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
From all the older folks I know who have been happily married 20-plus years, the number one foundation is respect. The husband and wife have a sincere reverence for each other. If that is not there, I think you can have all the other things in the poll, but it will be like the foolish man who built the house upon the sand, it will not stand up when the waves of life come in hard.
This. It's weird, but many people think that all the work in a relationship takes place before the wedding, not after. Hey, dating is kind of easy. Creating a life together is not so much.

So, mutual respect comes into play in a wide array of different ways. To build on what Dissenter has pointed out:

Really listening to the other person is one. It's amazing how quickly spouses will tune each other out.

Taking into account the opinion of your S/O before making a decision is another. As in, don't quit your job suddenly or run out and buy a new piece of furniture without your spouse having a say-so. Because it's their life, too.

Having a united front on a host of issues, raising children above all. Kids are ingenious in this way, for they will try to play Mom off against Dad or vice versa. As in, if Dad says 'No,' then ask 'Mom.' There have been a couple of times when MrsCPG have had to sit down and ask each other, "What do we do about Son #1?" We devise a plan, then stick to it.

Making sure that no one gets between you and your spouse. Not your parents, your siblings, or your best friend. You'd be surprised how many people, after the marriage, will want to drive a wedge between you and your spouse -- unintentionally or not.

Never saying anything hurtful to the other person, no matter how mad you are. I have never called my wife a name in our entire marriage even though, admittedly, there have been a time or two when it crossed my mind.

Remembering to put your spouse's needs ahead of your own, and putting the relationship's needs ahead of either party.

Letting go of petty resentments and jealousies.

Never forgetting that the person you married is the most important person in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships