Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,311,844 times

Advertisements

What do women think of a guy who is 50, single, never married and no kids? I know a guy who is 50 and in this situation and he seems to be doing great. He started a company a few years ago and I did some consulting work for him- he is very successful and he looks a lot younger than most people his age.

According to him, because he was never married and never had kids, he was able to achieve all his material goals in life, he travelled the world, lives very comfortably, can pretty much afford anything he wants even though, he is very frugal and down to Earth.

I am sure he has no problems meeting high quality, younger women because he is successful, has a great personality and has a lot of life experiences. For a person in his situation, what would be the advantages of getting married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,838,522 times
i dont know, how do you deal with it though?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 AM

768 posts, read 880,515 times
Marriage is a bad deal for a man.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Asexual. Or gay. Is he a "confirmed bachelor"?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,397 times
I'm 24 now, have been with the same girl since I was 17, started balding when I was 18, I look like I'm 34 now.

Being single till you're 50 has its advantages.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
What does this have to do with P&OC?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What does this have to do with P&OC?
If being married isn't a controversy with tons of politics, nothing is.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Asexual. Or gay. Is he a "confirmed bachelor"?
That fits the description that many like to apply to George Clooney. As well as woman who don't want to get married or have children. "Confirmed bachelorette".

Did it every occur to people that there are many people who don't want to get married, don't want to have children? This is a personal decision that people make and there is nothing wrong with that. Would it be better to get married, have children and divorce because, aside from divorce, that is what society expects???

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,836,769 times
Quote:
For a person in his situation, what would be the advantages of getting married?
Companionship? True emotional intimacy that comes with commitment? Having another human being to love and care for? Having someone stable to grow old with? Health benefits of monogamy, in a world of HIV/AIDs and now multiple-drug-resistant strains of common STDs? (There are greater thrills in life than sex, you know.)

Honestly, the problem with most people is that they either totally forget or else they are totally can't ever comprehend that there is such a thing as a dual-career child-free marriage, without money problems, property damage, people using other people for personal gain, wife using husband as meal ticket, husband using wife as slop-cleaning servant-slave, etc.

Some people actually do love another human being deeply and make that formal decree via marriage, and live pretty much contentedly ever after.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

Did it every occur to people that there are many people who don't want to get married, don't want to have children? This is a personal decision that people make and there is nothing wrong with that. Would it be better to get married, have children and divorce because, aside from divorce, that is what society expects???

I almost feel like this is a trick question myself. What are we supposed to think? If someone choose's to stay single all thier life then as you said that's thier choice. So why make a big deal about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships