Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,352,784 times

Advertisements

Well I don't. I was on my way home and something made me think of this topic. I hear women say, "I will always love him," or "There will always be a special place for him in my heart, he is the father of my children."

I am not sure if I felt like this or not in the past, but I know I don't now. There is no place for him in my heart. I don't hate him, I just don't love him. He treated me terribly and I had to get the strength and power from within to leave him, and finally I did.

For years he still tried to control me but he doesn't anymore. For me, he is my kids father. There is no special place tucked away for him in my heart.

What about you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,923 times
I always thought once you loved someone, the love would always be there no matter what, but well that isn't true for me. My love for my ex left when it dawned on me that not only did she not love me anymore, she didn't even whether I lived or died. And just like that it was gone. People around me couldn't understand it, but I just told them, the woman I loved doesn't exist anymore, and now the love is gone plain and simple.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Oh heavens no. I hate my ex. Hate her more than the devil himself.

The latest pattern here where people ask about their ex's or claim they still love them or have feelings for them or whatever... Can't people leave the past in the past or well enough alone. The threads or the idea you can be friends with or have a relationship post relationship is sick and unhealthy.

Now, I know there are sometimes children involved. In that case a level of civility is reasonable and prudent. And hopefully people can talk to one another like mature adults. Otherwise move along.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM

Isn't that something? It took me a little while, but when I came to the realization that he was not the person he was, or the person I married it wasn't as hard. The way he treated me has made me appreciate my SO so much, and the way he loves and cares for me.

The way life used to be has made me open my eyes to the way life should be.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Oh heavens no. I hate my ex. Hate her more than the devil himself.

The latest pattern here where people ask about their ex's or claim they still love them or have feelings for them or whatever... Can't people leave the past in the past or well enough alone. The threads or the idea you can be friends with or have a relationship post relationship is sick and unhealthy.

Now, I know there are sometimes children involved. In that case a level of civility is reasonable and prudent. And hopefully people can talk to one another like mature adults. Otherwise move along.
Well, I am civil to him, we do have 2 children. He is not my friend, he is not my pal. When we talk on the phone he wants to drag it on and tell me about his day or his week and I won't have it.

Gosh, I hate to say it, but he is like a stranger.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
I like and miss the guy I married. The new version I just feel kind of sorry for.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,580 times
While he was still alive after our divorce, my Ex and I had no communication. Our lives went on and we both learned from our mistakes and bettered our next relationships. He passed away from cancer 6 years following our divorce. RIP but honestly, he had become a stranger to me in spite of the fact we had been married 25 years.

It seems nice to hear some people are able to maintain a civil..in fact sometimes friendly..relationship with their former spouse. We never wanted that. When ours was over, it was O V E R

Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, I am civil to him, we do have 2 children. He is not my friend, he is not my pal. When we talk on the phone he wants to drag it on and tell me about his day or his week and I won't have it.

Gosh, I hate to say it, but he is like a stranger.
That is reasonable.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Yep, we are civil. He still thinks he knows everything, but I just dismiss it. We both have new SOs and have moved on.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Isn't that something? It took me a little while, but when I came to the realization that he was not the person he was, or the person I married it wasn't as hard. The way he treated me has made me appreciate my SO so much, and the way he loves and cares for me.

The way life used to be has made me open my eyes to the way life should be.
I'll agree with this sentiment.

I can't say I still love him, but I certainly don't hate him. We were exact opposites, and fought all the time because of it. He wanted me to be someone else, and I guess in a way I wanted him to be someone else too.

If we ran into each other, I'm sure we would be cordial, and there was a time he wanted to introduce me to his new wife. Maybe because when we split we agreed to do it amicably and like adults, I don't have that bitter taste left in my mouth like others might have had in their divorce. I'm pretty thankful for that at least.

However the marriage did teach me a lot about relationships and how they should be as well. If it wasn't for that time and the subsequent hellish relationship I had after that, I wouldn't be as happy as I am with my SO now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships