Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,912,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And what is 'appropriate'? Most of the women I know 'chase' perfectly acceptable men that are at their level, but those men have ridiculous expectations and think they deserve a Victoria's Secret model for some reason. Perhaps the women aren't the ones who should lower their expectations?

Precisely. While I know plenty of men in great relationships, it seems like the perpetually single ones are the ones who think they deserve a woman waaaaaay out of their league. There are women who think the same, don't get me wrong, but I've found women are a lot looser with their standards than most men are, especially considering how much more the visual package matters to them.
I chase men who are clearly appropriate for me and so do the women I know. All have found men at the level they desire. The men I know who want women way above their standard never get them, like a former friend who was 40, obese, unemployed yet wanted a thin blonde. Years later he is still single and wonders why he can't find better. That's why when I hear women they need to settle but not men I think that person is delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,696,253 times
Quote:
And what is 'appropriate'? Most of the women I know 'chase' perfectly acceptable men that are at their level, but those men have ridiculous expectations and think they deserve a Victoria's Secret model for some reason. Perhaps the women aren't the ones who should lower their expectations?

Precisely. While I know plenty of men in great relationships, it seems like the perpetually single ones are the ones who think they deserve a woman waaaaaay out of their league. There are women who think the same, don't get me wrong, but I've found women are a lot looser with their standards than most men are, especially considering how much more the visual package matters to them.
Any man you have to chase is out of your league. It really is that simple.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I chase men who are clearly appropriate for me and so do the women I know. All have found men at the level they desire. The men I know who want women way above their standard never get them, like a former friend who was 40, obese, unemployed yet wanted a thin blonde. Years later he is still single and wonders why he can't find better. That's why when I hear women they need to settle but not men I think that person is delusional.
Stop chasing men if you want a husband.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,678,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Which is why I used quotes around chase, since it was the word you used.

I'm also not one of those that believes women should just sit around being little angels waiting for someone to come sweep them off their feet.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Which is why I used quotes around chase, since it was the word you used.

I'm also not one of those that believes women should just sit around being little angels waiting for someone to come sweep them off their feet.
you are far too fond of false dilemmas.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,140 times
I'm 37... I like 40's men. Sometimes guys in their 30's, if they're cute of course.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,173,724 times
I'd be curious to know how many of those relationships between 20 year old women and 50 year old men last or really are for love.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,173,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Yes, but the secret is that with enough chasing you can actually get someone out of your league, if the cards fall your way. In real life people snag partners 'out of their league' all the time. The girl who is just gonna sit there playing the role of the princess is probably going to get a lot of a 'certain type.'

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,200,224 times
Quote:
I know a ton of guys who love women 10+ years older than they are, so if she's cute she probably won't have a problem, especially if she's Filipina. At least 3 of my male friends are in LTR with women 15 or more years older than they are, 2 of them own businesses and have money so they're definitely not going after the 'rich older women'. I think they just like the stability.
I also know of quite a few really happy long term relationships like this. And more power to 'em

Quote:
Well, these guys have been with these women for years and they seem pretty darn happy to me. And now men are 'secretly gay' unless they do exactly what you feel is appropriate? One of my guy friends is married to a wonderful woman 17 years older than he is and it's never been an issue. Judging by the men on this forum, many men out there aren't looking for children and have no desire to have them. This particular woman married to my friend had a hysterectomy at 20 so she was never really fertile. Considering all women lose their fertility I'm assuming all men will break up with their wives when they go through menopause so why bother getting married?

My aunt is 12 years older than my uncle and she just turned 71...they've been married for 30 or so years now and he's definitely not gay
Your aunt rocks

Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,618,736 times
I dont think age is such a big deal for a guy, although obviously everyone has their preferences. Some guys look years younger than they truly are, and their maturity/experience level can differ by a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships