Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,221,222 times

Advertisements

Hi CDers,

Looking for opinions on how to handle this in the right way. I haven't been in a relationship in a long time so I feel out of practice. So, here's what's going on...

I went to happy hour with a guy I met at a party a while ago. It's unclear whether it was a date or just something friendly. We split the bill but he ended up paying double what I did b/c of the way the waiter did our tabs. He seems cool and we get along. He wants to hang out again, this time for dinner... but now I'm in a committed relationship with someone I was dating (but not exclusively) when I went to happy hour with this other guy and I don't want there to be any issue.

He e-mailed about dinner today and I don't know whether to -
A. reply and say yes but I'm now seeing someone and would like to us to be friends
B. reply and say I'm not interested
C. reply and say yes, then mention something about my boyfriend sorta in passing
D. just ignore his message

I'd rather respond b/c i hate when ppl don't respond to my messages and I think it'd be nice to be friends b/c he's a cool guy and lives in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,377,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snd485 View Post
Hi CDers,

Looking for opinions on how to handle this in the right way. I haven't been in a relationship in a long time so I feel out of practice. So, here's what's going on...

I went to happy hour with a guy I met at a party a while ago. It's unclear whether it was a date or just something friendly. We split the bill but he ended up paying double what I did b/c of the way the waiter did our tabs. He seems cool and we get along. He wants to hang out again, this time for dinner... but now I'm in a committed relationship with someone I was dating (but not exclusively) when I went to happy hour with this other guy and I don't want there to be any issue.

A. reply and say yes but I'm now seeing someone and would like to us to be friends
C. reply and say yes, then mention something about my boyfriend sorta in passing

I'd rather respond b/c i hate when ppl don't respond to my messages and I think it'd be nice to be friends b/c he's a cool guy and lives in my neighborhood.
If the relationship you are in now is actually a committed one, then you really should not be hanging out with other guys. Think of how that might make your bf feel. Try and see it reversed. If he came to you and said he was going to have dinner with another girl, no matter how it gets painted, it just looks bad. And these things always lead to further emotional complications. Why do that to yourself?
Also ask yourself this: Can you even tell your bf about the dinner? If the answer is no, then you are aware there is something fishy here.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,198,257 times
Quote:
Hi CDers,

I'd say if you were already friends with the guy before, it'd be OK to hang out with him. But you weren't and it's pretty clear you have some romantic interest since you are here asking, so ... I wouldn't.

But everybody does things differently.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM

6,809 posts, read 5,702,915 times
Respond and say thanks but no thanks. I got a bf..

Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,368,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Respond and say thanks but no thanks. I got a bf..
mco65 is right...do him that favor...don't lead him on!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM

733 posts, read 1,669,083 times
Your choices include both "yes" and "no", so it is unclear how YOU feel about this other guy. Are you certain that you made the right choice by getting committed (you do seem interested in this other guy as well)?

I'd first make sure that I'm 100% willing to stay in the committed relationship before blowing that guy off. If you are sure of that, then tell the other guy you are involved with someone and want to see where it goes.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,913,369 times
if the other guy asked you to dinner, i think it's safe to assume that he has some romantic interest in you (unless he's gay).

it would only be fair to him that you not lead him on. as such, IMHO your best bet is to just let him know that you have a BF now who wouldn't like it.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,611,793 times
Quote:
... but now I'm in a committed relationship with someone I was dating (but not exclusively) when I went to happy hour with this other guy and I don't want there to be any issue.
There is a dichotomy here. You cannot be committed to a relationship that is not exclusive. If you are in an open relationship, that means you can see who you like, when you like. Just don't lie about it.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,547,657 times
Quote:
Hi CDers,

I recommend 'A'.

And explain, in your own words, of course, that it would not be a good idea to go out on a dinner date. It will be a mild heartbreaker for him but ultimately he'll appreciate your honesty.

[I did when it happened to me...]

Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,722,410 times
How about simply stating the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships