Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 02:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleharmonicmotion View Post
Does it reflect badly on a woman if her facebook isn't being blown up all of the time? If it's obvious she's not a very popular person?
I'm guessing you're not really talking about women, but about girls - really young girls.

Quote:
I think this is related to the fact that I'm well aware that I'm perceived as "lower status".
Then I have "no status" whatsover!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times
I dunno but I hope that doesn't matter in a relationship. I'd argue that Facebook isn't an indicator of how many friends someone has IRL. I have hundreds of Facebook friends but I only hang out with a couple dozen of them regularly and talk to another dozen or so regularly b/c we live too far away to see each other often. Most are just former classmates, former coworkers and acquaintances.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
If I meet a woman and she is always home because she has no friends, then yes, I care. Because I wonder, why she doesn't and if there is something wrong with her. I met a really cute girl awhile back. She came to her brother's going away party. Went out a couple of times and found out the few people that knew her, said she was "crazy". I took that info with a grain of salt but after spending more time with her, I noticed that she had no friends and no social life whatsoever. The more time I spent with her, the more I started to see very strange behavior that was really off putting. It finally became clear why she had no friends. And come to find out, she was on sometype of meds for some personality disorder that she did not eloborate on.

So overall, yes I do care if a woman has friends becuase it's not normal for someone to not have friends. However, I don't base that decision on how often she posts or interacts on facebook or any other social network site. With that said, if she is a drama queen and is constantly picking fights on facebook or revealing too much information that should remain private, I would frown upon that and see it as a red flag. However, a lack of activity on facebook would be viewed more as a good thing, not a bad thing.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I don't think popularity is a sign of desirability, but I would wonder why a woman had an absence of woman friends. I've only known one woman like that and, as it turns out, it was for good reason. She had a knack for flirting with or even nailing the boyfriends and husbands of women she knew.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think popularity is a sign of desirability, but I would wonder why a woman had an absence of woman friends. I've only known one woman like that and, as it turns out, it was for good reason. She had a knack for flirting with or even nailing the boyfriends and husbands of women she knew.
I have a few female acquaintances. But for whatever reason, I seem to repel women. I'm not really sure what it is. I'm polite and I'm not arrogant in the slightest. I'm very average looking. I don't flirt with anyone. In fact, I think I come off very aloof around men. I was part of a sorority and none of those women try to contact me years afterwards whereas they go out of their way to contact my far more attractive best friend. I get it. I'm not attractive. I've managed to attract some guys I think are cute. I'm just scared they're going to think I'm a huge nerd with no friends. All I do is post NYT articles and spotify songs I think are cool on fb. They same 5 guy friends respond. I guess I'm not the type to post everything I do in real life on fb. I use fb almost like a blog sometimes. I'd like to think that if a guy likes me, he won't think poorly of the fact that for whatever reason, I'm just not seen as "cool" by most people.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
If I meet a woman and she is always home because she has no friends, then yes, I care.
I do have friends. And I have a life. I work full time and go to school part time. I'm preparing for grad school. I do yoga, go to rock shows, go bike riding. I just know too many acquaintances- most of these people couldn't care less if I died tomorrow. There's something about me that repels people though.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Personally, I'd rather her have friends that she interacts with on a regular basis. I dated a girl who only had 1 friend that she didn't talk to very much, and she wanted to spend all her time with me, which wasn't that cool because she basically hung all over me and would call me all the time.

Seriously, if my GF wanted a girl's night out, go for it. I don't control and I certainly don't worry.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I'm not a man so I won't pretend to speak for them but I would think that the matter of how many friends you have would matter very much, but not in the way you think. If you are talking to a man who is looking for a real relationship then he's going to be looking for a woman who interacts socially in a similar way to what he does. If he's hyper-social and likes to go out every night of the week then you two are not going to be a match, but if he's happy with a few quality friends and has goals that he's pursuing, as you do, then you two can be happy. Now I know some couples who are mismatched this way, with one being very social and the other one not, but they are an exception.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleharmonicmotion View Post
Does it reflect badly on a woman if her facebook isn't being blown up all of the time? If it's obvious she's not a very popular person?
I think this is related to the fact that I'm well aware that I'm perceived as "lower status".

i have been told by males instead of her being a 'loner' she is probably more a girl that no one wants to befriend, which sends up red flags. 'Why doesn't she have friends??' Type of thing. I do not have friends and I am not on facebook. oh well who cares.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
FB is not a indicator of someone's social status. Half of my friends are from people that know someone I know or spoke to me briefly at church, a sporting event or somewhere around town. My cousin has FB friends that are from the same high school in the same year he graduated. Yet he has never meet more than half of them.

Facebook can be fairyland sometimes. People can paint a image on there that isn't realistic. So it's just that. A book with many faces, some real and some not so real, fiction and non fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships