Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have horrific or funny in-law stories to share? I really wanna read some because lemme tell you, I have heard some horrible things about in-laws . Some were entertaining others just made me wanna slap em. But seriously what are some funny or horrifying in-law stories?

This can be your in-laws or a friends in-laws too. And it's not just MILs and FILs, it can be SILs and BILs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM

37 posts, read 60,064 times
Conversation between son-in-law and his mother-in-law:

Mother-in-law: John, what would you do when I die?

John: I'd come visit your grave all the time; and bring your favorite cigarettes and leave them for you.

Mother-in-law: That is sweet. How bout matches?

John: Where you are going, you don't need matches.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:12 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Forum title - Board Main - Forum listings

From the MIL POV
WiseWomenUnite.com - Index

Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
OK I'll bite, since it's been on my mind lately. My SIL, who is a couple of years older than I am, has been my biggest problem. She was very sweet when we first got married and I was looking forward to getting to know her better. She was married and had 2 small boys and they loved me dearly and things were good. Then her husband left her for a 17 yo idiot that he met at work and my SIL was heartbroken as you can imagine. I remember that we all went over there and soothed her when it happened and I offered to do anything she needed--esp babysit since I knew she'd need help but when pressed, she never would commit to anything but I was there for her and was willing to listen when she needed to talk. At the same time, I was working FT, finishing a college degree and taking on a lot of the care of her grandfather, which was considerable at times. She was not doing anything for him but I didn't mind b/c I knew she had a lot going on.

Then I didn't hear anything for awhile and called her but she didn't want to talk so I decided she just wanted some alone time. Then at Christmas it was horrible. No one in the family was speaking to me but they were going on excitedly about an evening earlier that week that I hadn't been invited to, though my other SIL was.

The SIL gave me a sweater for Christmas that was from Lane Bryant and size 3x, though I wear a 10. It was just the most awful solitary xmas I've ever spent and I wanted so badly to go home. I considered asking her what was wrong, but I knew that she would act like I was crazy for asking, so I just hoped that it would soon blow over. I guessed I must have said something, but I couldn't imagine what it could be. I asked my husband but he hadn't even noticed anything and had no idea what she could be mad about. (Girls are so good at sticking in the knife when no one can see.)

Well years passed and she never really did get over it and then the incident happened with us taking my MIL to Europe but she went off Paxil cold turkey just before the trip and no one bothered to inform us of that fact. We didn't speak to MIL or the SIL for over a year after that but came back when this SIL got married and we went to the wedding, so we were back in.

During that time, I discovered what her problem was (from another relative, since she wasn't talking to us)--she didn't feel that we'd been supportive enough when her husband left her. !!! I was taking care of her grandfather so she didn't have to worry about it! Then it all fell into place--the woman was so self centered that unless I came and got in her face and made the grand gesture, I didn't care enough about her and her problems. You'd have thought that she was only woman in the world who got dumped.

Well anyway, that was over 20 years ago, and lately it was bugging me so badly that I couldn't stand it any more and I sat down and wrote her a letter. I tried very hard to keep my tone as nice as possible, but I didn't pull any punches either--just told her that I had supported her and the family quite a lot and I didn't like being treated like shyt for all those years. All she came back with was that it was a mean, mean letter and it hurt her little feelings so bad. Oh well, I wasn't trying to fix it--just had to get it off my chest and now that the marriage is over why not. It was so worth it. Some would say that I shouldn't have let her know how much it bothered me, but I know that she fancies herself as a very nice lady and it really did get to her.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
I'm really lucky that my in-laws love me to bits and I think they're the best thing since butter on toast.

Even my parents get along and they don't speak the same first language! They both use dictionaries to talk to each other on Skype.

The horror stories I've heard can be awful.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
First wife: Had the engagement party at her house where my family met her family for the first time. Her wealthy father said to mine: If you think he is going to get any of my money by marrying my daughter you should take your son home right now. My Dad backhanded him in the face while sitting on the couch.

He also insulted my best friend who left after mouthing some real choice words back at the FIL. Money made this man a monster.

That marriage lasted 16 good years. I hated that POS every second of those 16 years and rarely talked to him except to talk business. Strange thing is after that marriage ended, I ended up starting a business, the same business he made his millions in. I too excelled until the recent economic depression got the best of me.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,568 times
Where to start....

My SIL recently planned a family birthday party for her mother on the only weekend that my husband and I had (work related) plans for the entire summer.

My MIL came for a visit a few years back and claimed that the dinner that I fixed "made her sick" (no one heard her throwing up all night as she claimed eventhough the bathroom was right outside our bedroom).

My ex SIL kicked me out of her wedding only days before because I picked up the bridesmaids dress when the shop called me to pick it up and she was convinced I was going to wear it before the wedding. (who would wear a tacky bridesmaids dress to anything but the wedding?).

My MIL redecorated the guest room (without asking) at our brand new home because she didn't like it.
Then she complained that she didn't come for a visit to "work". (no one asked her to do anything)

My ex FIL wrote my parents a letter during my divorce explaining that if I did not take the financial settlement that I was being offered (which did not even include child support for two kids) that my children would be "dead to him".

I could go on and on and on......

Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Does anyone here have horrific or funny in-law stories to share? I really wanna read some because lemme tell you, I have heard some horrible things about in-laws . Some were entertaining others just made me wanna slap em. But seriously what are some funny or horrifying in-law stories?

This can be your in-laws or a friends in-laws too. And it's not just MILs and FILs, it can be SILs and BILs too.
Use the search forum and you'll find tons of threads on the subject. Better yet, get off the computer and get outside for some fresh air and meet people - almost 30 posts a day throughout the day are way too many for a nice little girl like yourself!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My friend's in-laws still loved her husband's ex-girlfriend (and the child of that ex-gf) and were angry that her husband married my friend...so much so that they still to this day treat their second set of grandkids (the ones my friend had) much differently than they do that gf's kid...16 years later...and they pretty much want nothing to do with my friend.

What's funny is that my friend is good, decent, has a good job, etc...and the ex-gf is a drugaholic with a slew of disgusting boyfriends through the house and never can keep a steady job.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 AM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
My sister was at a family reunion and sat across the picnic table from her MIL. Her boisterous MIL was blabbing about overweight people and started talking about a morbidly obese relative who was not in attendance that day. She said to her group of listeners, "She's even bigger than Kathy!" (Kathy's my sis.) Sis just about died of embarrassment right then and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships