Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are a potential wife or husbands religious beleifs to you?
Religious beleifs are VERY important 36 56.25%
Religious beleifs are somewhat important 18 28.13%
Religious beleifs are not important at all 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,803,709 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian Catholic and have been married to an atheist for 13 years. We have a daughter who has been baptized Catholic and received first communion, although she and I have since slacked off going to church. She recently announced that she's agnostic.

My husband is an outspoken atheist and somewhat active in issues revolving around separation of church and state.

We've come this far by loving and respecting each other a lot. We've never had an argument about whether or not God exists--what's the point of that? He says he doesn't understand how I believe because he's knows I'm smart and thinks that is inconsistent. I tell him I just do and he accepts that. The only thing we disagreed on was when my daughter was attending a strangely religious martial arts school where they prayed before class and at belt ceremonies and he thought they were being stealthily evangelical. She continued to go for a while but then quit of her own accord.

Anyway, such relationships can work if you are respectful of one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 AM

461 posts, read 558,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm a Christian Catholic and have been married to an atheist for 13 years. We have a daughter who has been baptized Catholic and received first communion, although she and I have since slacked off going to church. She recently announced that she's agnostic.

My husband is an outspoken atheist and somewhat active in issues revolving around separation of church and state.

We've come this far by loving and respecting each other a lot. We've never had an argument about whether or not God exists--what's the point of that? He says he doesn't understand how I believe because he's knows I'm smart and thinks that is inconsistent. I tell him I just do and he accepts that. The only thing we disagreed on was when my daughter was attending a strangely religious martial arts school where they prayed before class and at belt ceremonies and he thought they were being stealthily evangelical. She continued to go for a while but then quit of her own accord.

Anyway, such relationships can work if you are respectful of one another.
Out of curiosity, don't you believe that your husband, as an Atheist, is doomed to burn in hell when he dies?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,691,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
If you are an Atheist, could you get seriious with a Christian or some other religion?
I'm an atheist and although I've dated people who were religious, I can't see myself with someone who's very religious. This isn't about me looking down on them or their beliefs. I just think two people who are looking for a long-term relationship need to be on the same page when it comes to certain things. I'm sure there are people out there of different faiths who manage just fine. But my experience has always been that it leads to problems, especially once you add children to the mix. I personally can't see myself with someone who doesn't understand why I'm an atheist. And I've had women reject me because they couldn't see themselves with a man who didn't understand why they believed what they believe. Most people want to feel like they're with someone who at least understands them, even if they don't agree with them.

Spirituality isn't trivial and yet so many people treat it that way, trying on religions like they're shoes, freely converting to someone else's religion like it's no big deal. Then of course you have people who think love conquers all and that you can work around any difference. Is it any wonder so many marriages fail when you have that mindset. Religion and spirituality to me aren't just about what you believe or don't believe. They also say a lot about how you see the world, life, and other people. So it makes perfect sense to find someone who's more like you in that regard.

One other thing that I think is important in a relationship is feeling free to say what's on your mind and not having to worry that you might offend your partner. But if you're not in agreement over your spirituality, that makes it a lot harder. Who wants to be in a relationship where they feel like certain topics are off limits or that they have to censor themselves around their own husband/wife?

Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-13-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,354,265 times
Not that important at all.
I would want my S/O to be religious (Christian) in some fashion, but his denomination or devoutness doesn't really matter to me (unless it is too much).

Really I like someone with whom I can have good conversations with and a difference in religious beliefs can spark very interesting debates... that's usually the case with my lovers be it different views or just me playing the devils advocate.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,791,783 times
I'm an atheist and I just couldn't tolerate living with a religious person no matter how mild their faith was. I like to be on the same page as my SO on many topics but this is probably the biggest one.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM

859 posts, read 2,837,286 times
I don't put much thought into religion. It's not for me but I'm not going to tell others what they should believe in or what's right or wrong. As long as my GF doesn't try to force me to attend church or other religious gatherings I could care less what her beliefs are.

I will tell you that living with someone that tries to force their beliefs on you is a nightmare and wil not work even short term

Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,803,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Out of curiosity, don't you believe that your husband, as an Atheist, is doomed to burn in hell when he dies?
No. First, my husband is a very good, kind, moral person and I think that if there is a fiery hell, that it's set aside for evil-doers. Second, I let God take care of those issues. What happens to my husband when he dies isn't any of my business. He's God's child, not mine.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 AM

58 posts, read 52,727 times
I myself am an atheist who was raised in a home where no religion was really practiced or even talked about, so it is pretty much a non-issue to me. My wife was raised in the church (pastor's daughter) and to this day is still a very active, practicing christian. We have disagreements on certain subjects, but these disagreements usually turn into very interesting and civil debates. However, there are many issues we agree upon as well; she herself isn't the fire and brimstone type.

I think for us it really hasn't been too difficult as we are both laid back personalities and don't care for too much drama. She goes to church on Sundays and asks if I would like to attend and I politely opt out and she is fine with it. So, I think two individuals can make it work as long as they respect eachother's differing opinions.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,413,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
There was no option for " lack of belief important" or at least "very moderate religious beliefs" so I could not vote.
In my opinion, the first option "Religious beliefs are VERY important" covers the lack of them, too.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,056,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
If you are a Christian or some other religion, could you be serious with an atheist ?

If you are an Atheist, could you get seriious with a Christian or some other religion?

If you are a member of a certain religion, could you get serious with somone from another religion?

Please tell how you voted and why.

Im not talking about just going out on a date with someone, im talking about if you were going to get serious with them and possibly mary them
Very important, but maybe now how you'd think

I'm a christian, and I could get serious with an atheist, a jew, agnostic, "nature-lover" or whatever. I could never get serious with someone who was entrenched and fundamental in their beliefs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships