Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times

Advertisements

Issues of Control In A Relationship

Have you ever been, or are you now, in or subject to control in a relationship?

Sure, there are “control freaks” that have the desire or the need to control their SO. There are also those whose predilection is to be controlled. Often they find each other and live happily ever after, but not often enough.

I was talking last night with a lady who is married to a biker (affiliation shall remain anonymous) and although I know her to be a strong and independent woman on her own, she jumps when he talks. Last night's weather was nasty here – we had freezing rain and sleet which quickly gummed-up the roads. Business was way off and we were closing early, but evidently not early enough for this lady's husband.

Thing is, she doesn't drive. In fact, she lives a 5-minute walk from the club. OK, he was concerned about her slipping, but come on – she's a dancer; she has excellent balance and motor responses. She's young and healthy and this is actually a good neighborhood. But when he called and told her COME HOME NOW!, she all but tripped over her own feet getting changed out of her costume and into her street clothes.

I understand that the biker culture has its own rules. I've also known enough bikers to realize that they, like any other group of people, vary greatly, from the highly moral to the absolutely despicable. But I thought that this was definitely a control issue display.

As always, balance is what should be sought; control at times, relinquish it at others. Some things we can NOT control – it is said that time and tide wait for no man – nor do I think that we SHOULD be capable of controlling everything.

Like any other aspect of a relationship I believe that a certain amount of give-and-take is the norm, and that one personality may naturally be the dominant one. That's fine, but I also wonder how many are in such relationships unwillingly...

So my question is, have you ever been accused of being too “controlling”? Or have you been told “Get out of that relationship – you're being controlled!”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Have you ever been, or are you now, in or subject to control in a relationship?
of course.

Quote:
my question is, have you ever been accused of being too “controlling”? Or have you been told “Get out of that relationship – you're being controlled!”?
No, neither of these. In particular, i don't get along with people who are compelled to tell me what to do.

i am allergic to controlling people. i usually spot them first, and avoid them.

Last edited by le roi; 03-07-2011 at 05:22 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, neither of these. i am allergic to controlling people. i usually spot them first, and avoid them.
A good strategy!

Would that change if it were a work relationship - say your boss is a control freak; how do you deal with that, when you really cannot avoid them?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
A good strategy!

Would that change if it were a work relationship - say your boss is a control freak; how do you deal with that, when you really cannot avoid them?
yea, i avoid jobs where i think the person (or place) is controlling. you try to hash these things out in the interview if you can. otherwise, yeah, it has made an impact on my comings and goings in past jobs. Good talk, Sifu. I have to go.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,376,096 times
Quote:
A good strategy!

I had a controlling boss, she was super crazy, I just suffered in silence and then I quit.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I had a controlling boss, she was super crazy, I just suffered in silence and then I quit.
Yes, I've done the same thing. Doesn't that feel great when you quit?

Of course, for me that feeling lasted long enough for me to get out to my car, where I promptly lost my breakfast.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,376,096 times
My situation lasted 9 months. She even cut my salary.... but then the day I quit she offered me the money back. I say no thanks. Now I am making so much more money with a normal boss.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 AM

380 posts, read 796,641 times
I'm definitely a cotnrol freak, however I like to control my surroundings and situations, not people.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,476,078 times
Yeah, the subject of "control" between partners is a very interesting one. I just wouldn't use how a "biker" and a "dancer" (in a "club") get along, as the most "representative" examples.

BTW, one source of control that's not often mentioned, is "passive aggression", where someone doesn't overtly fight or resist whenever they might be pi$$ed off, but instead they just sorta don't "cooperate".... it's "control" alright, but very sneaky!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, the subject of "control" between partners is a very interesting one. I just wouldn't use how a "biker" and a "dancer" (in a "club") get along, as the most "representative" examples.
Be that as it may, it gave me the idea for the article.

Quote:
BTW, one source of control that's not often mentioned, is "passive aggression", where someone doesn't overtly fight or resist whenever they might be pi$$ed off, but instead they just sorta don't "cooperate".... it's "control" alright, but very sneaky!
So Gandhi was a passive/aggressive control freak?

Or do you mean like in a situation such as when you resent doing a job and you simply don't give it your "all"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships