Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,297,160 times

Advertisements

whatever you do , don't start by making apologies..and noo poems,you have to be more personable.. Walk up to her and tell her how beautiful she is and ask her if you could see her sometime after class!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 11,554 times
I guess you guys are probably right, the only thing is I might not have much chance to chat with her....even if I show up early to class she might not...and once the final starts that's pretty much it...hmmm

Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amongyourhoundsoflove View Post
Hello, I just registered, and I'm facing a small dilemma. I am a 19 year old male named Dylan ( don't know if that's necessary information but...) There is a girl in my Art History class that makes butterflies fill my entire body and lifts me to a height I've never experienced. Like an idiot I never attempted to be friendly with or even talk to her at all and now the only chance I have is the final exam day next Wednesday. I've made a pretty note that's partly a poem I wrote about her and also has my number and holiday greetings etc... My question I suppose is mainly directed at the women of this forum: Would you rather a guy in this situation come up and say something like "Ashley! Forgive the intrusion but I'd really love to know you, how do you feel about that?" or should I approach her with a smile and say "Ashley, would you please take this and read it? Thank you so much."? Part of me feels like she won't take the poem seriously at all because I'm just a stranger to her (It's very romantic) and after all I want to be friends first anyway....but part of me wants to just give her the note because I feel like the chances of her being interested in becoming friends is very low so I suppose there are a few issues at play. Anyways, I'd appreciate any and all discussion on the issue, thanks!
Oh, good God. Don't hand her a freaking note. Do you want her to think that you're some socially inept freak?

I'm a guy, but I can tell you right off the bat that women hate that stuff. No, let me rephrase that. They despise it. Women like men who are reasonably assertive and confident (Note: There's a big different between being cocky and arrogant and simply being assertive). If you can't walk up and say hello, then forget it.

But to help you out, I'll script it for you. Work it so you both leave at the same time. Then approach her and say...

"So. How do you think you did on the final?"

Then make idle chitchat about the final for a couple of minutes. So far so good, right? If she sticks around to talk, she's interested. If she doesn't, you haven't lost anything.

If she sticks around to chitchat, then say, "By the way, I haven't had a chance to introduce myself. I'm Joe [By the way, give your real name here. Don't call yourself Joe if your name isn't Joe]."

Then ask a few general questions about her. Mention that you've meant to come over and say hello before, but you know how busy things are, etc. etc.

Okay, if she's not on the hook by this point, you'll have your answer. If she's hanging tough and still talking to you, then freaking invite her to coffee or lunch.

But, for God's sake, DON'T GIVE HER A NOTE. This is not fifth grade.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,435,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, good God. Don't hand her a freaking note. Do you want her to think that you're some socially inept freak?

I'm a guy, but I can tell you right off the bat that women hate that stuff. No, let me rephrase that. They despise it. Women like men who are reasonably assertive and confident (Note: There's a big different between being cocky and arrogant and simply being assertive). If you can't walk up and say hello, then forget it.

But to help you out, I'll script it for you. Work it so you both leave at the same time. Then approach her and say...

Then make idle chitchat about the final for a couple of minutes. So far so good, right? If she sticks around to talk, she's interested. If she doesn't, you haven't lost anything.

If she sticks around to chitchat, then say, "By the way, I haven't had a chance to introduce myself. I'm Joe [By the way, give your real name here. Don't call yourself Joe if your name isn't Joe]."

Then ask a few general questions about her. Mention that you've meant to come over and say hello before, but you know how busy things are, etc. etc.

Okay, if she's not on the hook by this point, you'll have your answer. If she's hanging tough and still talking to you, then freaking invite her to coffee or lunch.

CPG on the mark as usual

Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,835,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

what if you need more time on the final than she does

and the only reason she's walking out in 30 mins is because she left a bunch of questions blank

let it go buddy. get that A. plenty of chicks in the ocean.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 PM

10,175 posts, read 20,795,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amongyourhoundsoflove View Post
Hello, I just registered, and I'm facing a small dilemma. I am a 19 year old male named Dylan ( don't know if that's necessary information but...) There is a girl in my Art History class that makes butterflies fill my entire body and lifts me to a height I've never experienced. Like an idiot I never attempted to be friendly with or even talk to her at all and now the only chance I have is the final exam day next Wednesday. I've made a pretty note that's partly a poem I wrote about her and also has my number and holiday greetings etc... My question I suppose is mainly directed at the women of this forum: Would you rather a guy in this situation come up and say something like "Ashley! Forgive the intrusion but I'd really love to know you, how do you feel about that?" or should I approach her with a smile and say "Ashley, would you please take this and read it? Thank you so much."? Part of me feels like she won't take the poem seriously at all because I'm just a stranger to her (It's very romantic) and after all I want to be friends first anyway....but part of me wants to just give her the note because I feel like the chances of her being interested in becoming friends is very low so I suppose there are a few issues at play. Anyways, I'd appreciate any and all discussion on the issue, thanks!
Forget the note Dylan. Save the poem for later on down the road. Also, remove the word "love" from your vocabulary when talking to her for the first time. As in "I'd really love to know you"...more than likely that won't be well received. It screams of desperation.

Say hello to her and introduce yourself. Perhaps offer something like "sorry we haven't had a chance to get acquainted this semester, but I'm going to the [pick a place or event--perhaps an art gallery near you since you're in an art history class together] I was wondering if you might be interested in joining me?" Pick a place you two can talk and get to know one another...gallery, museum, or some other place of interest nearby. You've got nothing to lose, the worst she can say is no.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,838,335 times
Oh gosh this is cute lol. I would love it if the guy I like gave me a note like that. But being that she doesn't know you it's probably a little too intense for right away. You should definitely talk to her though. Nothing major, just a little conversation about something like the weather. Good luck. :-)

Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM

881 posts, read 2,255,125 times
I would chat some right before the final starts - Asking how hard do you think it will be? Did you study a lot? etc. Get her name, make sure she learns yours.

A note would just be weird. After talking you could see if you could find her on facebook to continuing talking and ask her out provided she is single.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Approach and talk....

Do we need to make this any clearer.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 11,554 times
Well I guess I have nothing to lose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships