Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,374,789 times

Advertisements

I have been divorced for almost 2 years. And I have been dating. One of my friends told me today I dump men for minimal things and that I should just "settle". She told me I am becoming bitter, that I should make an effort to accommodate.

I know, I am picky. I try not to invest time or effort and as soon as I see a red flag I bail out. Maybe I am not ready to be with someone again. But she got me thinking, should I settle? Settle for whatever I can get?

I don't know. Does not sound like a good idea to me. But I realize I am not getting any younger.I just do not want to get divorce number 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,990,077 times
Well I don't know if you should "settle" for whatever you can get. However, if a trusted friend sees a problem and you are aware that you are quick to bail.... hum, you may want to do some thinking on this.

Try to be objective. What are you looking for? Make up an actual list - i.e.
He must be a happy person. He must like dogs. He must be willing to be supportive of my work. etc.
Hey, this isn't science - just try to focus on what you are looking for. Try to keep it positive - don't list a bunch of neg. / stupid stuff (He must not be in jail, He must not be violent) Get real and keep it upbeat.
Try to outline where you want to be in 5 years. Would you like to be married, - living with a man, in a positive, supportive relationship. ??
Try to score your relationships and how you did in those relationships. DON'T make this a list of what was wrong with him --- we are talking about you. What could you have done better. What would have worked - what didn't. What could you have done differently? It's ok that relationship didn't work - just try to learn from them.

It's not a matter of having to settle, you will never find anyone who is perfect. -it's a matter of giving a man a fair shake - try to remember you may not be perfect, either!
Best wishes, my friend.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,747,943 times
Pffft, your friend is silly. You should never just settle for someone. There are so many worse things than being alone and being with someone that you are not in love with and not absolutely committed to, is one of them.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM

MMIchelle thanks, the list is a great idea. I want to date a man, who will be there for me and respect me and love me.

Djuna,she has been having an attitude towards me. I do not want to settle for a man, I love my life. But she told me about being bitter, and she might be right. I just dont invest in men that are not close to what I want.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

93 posts, read 169,077 times
What is making you bailout?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,990,077 times
You are welcome. I hope it helps.
Bitterness is a dangerous thing - it's a relationship killer! As you review your past relationships you may find that you acted with bitterness - if so, you will be aware and can learn not to be bitter in the future. It can be difficult to look objectively at yourself - it's not easy for any of us! But you can do it.
Best wishes.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,707 times
I was single for over a decade and all my friends told me the same things. I was too picky. I was afraid of commitment, I was too rigid, too extreme in my views. They were right. I was all those things and I intended to stay that way. Why shouldn't I?

I was at a point in my life where I was done with being accommodating and bending myself into a pretzel to keep a relationship going. I had had enough. No more compromises, no more discussions. No more being nice. It was going to be my way or the highway, and if that meant I'd be single the rest of my life, then so be it.

To thine own self be true.

Until I met my husband, I didn't believe men like him existed. It's really a miracle that he found me and convinced me to open my heart to him. He is someone whom I love and respect so much, I don't mind making compromises for him. He is such an extraordinary individual and stellar person .

For the first time in my life I know what a healthy relationship feels like. I now know what genuine love feels like. And it's a very good thing and well worth waiting for. I wouldn't advice anyone to settle for anything less.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 09-06-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,707 times
You've only been divorced for two years. Give yourself some time. Good men are out there, but they are not around every corner. It might take awhile.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I was single for over a decade and all my friends told me the same things. I was too picky. I was afraid of commitment, I was too rigid, too extreme in my views. They were right. I was all those things and I intended to stay that way. Why shouldn't I?

I was at a point in my life where I was done with being accommodating and bending myself into a pretzel to keep a relationship going. I had had enough. No more compromises, no more discussions. No more being nice. It was going to be my way or the highway and if that meant I'd be single the rest of my life then so be it.

To thine own self be true.

Until I met my husband, I didn't believe men like him existed. It's really a miracle that he found me and convinced me to open my heart to him. He is someone whom I love and respect so much, I don't mind making compromises for him. He is such an extraordinary individual and stellar person .

For the first time in my life I know what a healthy relationship feels like. I now know what genuine love feels like. And it's a very good thing and well worth waiting for. I wouldn't advice anyone to settle for anything less.

Wow your post brought tears to my eyes... thanks so much. I sometimes wonder if a good man actually exists. But I am willing to wait.

The pretzel metaphor.... priceless.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark303 View Post
What is making you bailout?
well the 2 last ones

one dissapeared on me and it is very shaddy.

the other one, five minutes into the first phone conversation told me his exwife is asking him questions about sex and she is asking him to help her hookup with men.
I was like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships