Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM

14 posts, read 41,445 times

Advertisements

OK, so here's my situation. I'm a countryboy, & I've been kinda getting serious with a girl from the city (NYC to be exact.) It's been about 2 months or so since we've been dating so far, and we've seen each other almost every other day. That just makes this whole thing weirder. I like her, but ever since I told her that I was born, raised, and currently live out in the country, she's starting to get a little distant.

She's not answering my phonecalls, avoiding me in public, and I found out through a friend that she gave another guy her phone number. Now I know there are a lot of red flags and I probably should just move on, but I'm curious about this. I never thought it mattered whether you're country or urban as long as you like each other.

The question is: Do you think that country people and city people can possibly be compatible for a relationship? Tell me why or why not.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,843 times
depends on the two people

prob not for me cuz i hate the city and would never want to move there ever. the girl would have to move out of the city one day.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Sounds like she is too big fer` her britches!
I mean, opposites are suppose to attract, and if she don`t want to have anything to do with you because "your country" then, let her go live her city life.

I need to add though, that I married a city boy, and I was all country girl. I showed him a thing or two on how to come down to Earth, and live on the other side of the tracks, so to speak. I think he liked it...but it eventually fell apart because were just worlds apart.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Man, I've had both extremes.

One calm night, I was sleeping in my father's village, on a haystack, besides hens under baskets and frogs croaking.

One sunny morning, I was meeting delegates from the international monetary fund in DC and presenting them with a business model. (Add that this is one of the most inefficient group of people on the face of the earth)

If a girl calls me a hillbilly and runs away from me, it's "her" loss That's the attitude I'd recommend for you.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Man, I've had both extremes.

One calm night, I was sleeping in my father's village, on a haystack, besides hens under baskets and frogs croaking.

One sunny morning, I was meeting delegates from the international monetary fund in DC and presenting them with a business model. (Add that this is one of the most inefficient group of people on the face of the earth)

If a girl calls me a hillbilly and runs away from me, it's "her" loss That's the attitude I'd recommend for you.
I like the calm night extreme where you were sleeping on a haystack!

Old 06-26-2010, 05:36 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Im more of a slower paced lifestyle kind of girl that likes being way out in the sticks. It couldnt work out if I were to hook up with someone from a city because Im not changing my lifestyle, and like being able to leave doors unlocked, windows open for that cool evening breeze, etc. Most wont even do that in an HOA, gated and security type of housing tract....where its supposed to be safe.
Ive lived in cities and dont miss some of the ones Ive lived in, at all.
And in all fairness, it wouldnt be fair to force someone to adapt to another type of lifestyle either.
"Look ma, no neighbours within 5 feet of me!"
Attached Thumbnails
Can city people and country people make good matches?-somewhere-tn.bmp  

Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 PM

389 posts, read 776,612 times
I've dated cityboys (real nice ones) and I can honestly say that it doesn't matter. Of course, eventually you'd need to dicide whether y'all are gonna live in the country or the city, but other then that, it shouldn't be a problem at all long as you like each other.

To some it up, that girl was obviously a ***** to leave you for something so stupid and yes, you should move on with your life. If you're specificly attracted to citygirls, it shouldn't be too hard to find one who won't mind your lifestyle.

Jessie

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
I don't think it matters unless the person is a beeyatch, which sounds like what this girl is.
Perhaps...and this is just a crazy thought I'm throwing out there - a country girl would've said "ewww! you're from WHERE?? I'm outta here buddy!", albeit in a nicer way maybe. She would've told you straight up without all the game-playing. Maybe.

I think the real issue would be if one of you has to make a major move to keep the relationship going, rather than cultural issues. There's no reason why you can't be compatible or have chemistry, regardless of geographical difference. Take things as they come..if the girl can't deal with where you're from, she's not for you.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
It depends. Some city dwellers long to live in the country; some country folks long to live in the big city. These types can get along just fine. My late wife moved from the edge of NYC to Wyoming and loved it. She never cared much for city life but just happened to have been born in Brooklyn. Likewise, I have a niece who was born and raised on an Iowa farm, but she's made Manhattan her home, loving every minute of it.

Then you have people like me. I live in a small city only because the small town grew up around me. I'd as soon go to prison as have to live in a large city. And there are city people who feel the same way about rural America. They prefer bright lights over distant stars, people over deer and antelope, tall buildings over tall mountains. This kind of city-country folk would never be very happy with each other for obvious reasons.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
That's my biggest obstacle of dating. I'm sort of a city/country hybrid. Grew up in the suburbs, spent my college days in an urban environment and spent my life since out in the country. I have a 50+ acre place and enjoy the hikes, gardening, wildlife and the privacy. I also enjoy my job in the city that I commute to (45 minutes) and like all the entertainment that the city has to offer and have the best of both worlds. So I know and am familiar with both, but at the same time feel like I don't fit in in either environment if that makes sense.

There are little social opportunities in the immediate vicinity and the natives (I'm a transplant) are pretty clannish anyway, so I choose the city and do the happy hour thing on the way home from work sometimes or go to the live music places on evenings and weekends. And that's where the vast majority of single people live. I'm a social person in the right environment and meet plenty of good people, but its hard to get relationships going when you don't live close to people you meet and have a different lifestyle. Especially ones that aren't familiar with country life and consider anywhere outside of town "the middle of nowhere". So yes, it certainly does make an issue when it comes to meeting people and dating. That has been my experience. It was not something I thought about when I moved here and did not think it would be much of an issue.

And I may live on a small farm, but I don't wear western wear and cowboy hats and things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships