Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,347 times

Advertisements

I need a good, tried and true, recipe for chicken pot pie casserole that has rosemary seasoning in it. I know there are some good recipe somewhere. thanks..... mddozier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
Sorry, I never use a recipe. Pot pie's are easy enough on the fly - Do you know how to make a bechamel sauce? You make a roux with butter and flour, and then add hot milk or cream. I would then thin it with chicken stock. I'd probably use anywhere from a half a stick to 3 quarters, and from half a cup to a cup of milk. Add par-cooked vegetables (I like diced potatoes, carrots, peas and pearl onions), chicken and put it in a pie crust. Rosemary would be wonderful, I like sage and thyme too plus lots of salt and black pepper. Seal it up with a top crust, cut some holes for steam; egg wash if you like the color. Bake at 350-375 until the crust is brown.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM

229 posts, read 655,737 times
Default Chicken Pot Pie

Mine, and this is real simple.
2 frozen deep dish pie crust
chicken breast- semi cooked
frozen vegis or canned vegis
2 to 3 cans of chicken gravy then add the spices.
melted butter on the top crust and bake for 30 to 40 mins at 350

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
I take a 13X9 pan and a tin of Grand Biscuts
cut the biscuts in half and place in the pan and bake
till golden brown.

Then in a skillet cut up chicken breasts cook until done
add some butter a can of cream of chicken & mushroom soup
add a bag of frozen veggies and your spices when it bubbles
pour over biscuts and place the remaining biscuts on top
and pop back into the over until done to a nummy golden brown.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Default PA Dutch Pot Pie (BOt Bi)

Pot Pie Squares ( the noodles )
3 cups flour
1 large egg
1 T. vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
1/2 to 3/4 cup water

or my favorite pot pie noodle dough

3 eggs
1 tablespoon shortening melted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 T. finely chopped fresh parsley

Mix the flour, egg, and shortening together. Knead dough mixture, while alternately adding small amounts of water until the dough holds together well.

Divide the dough into two or three pieces. Roll each piece to about 1/8" thick on a floured board. Cut the rolled out dough into squares - about 2 inches to 2-1/2 inches wide. Allow the freshly made pot pie noodle squares to dry for about 30 minutes or more before cooking.

The Stew
whole stewing chicken for this recipe.
I use College Inn® Broth plus chicken stock flavoring to taste

1 - 5 lb. stewing chicken
2 quarts of Chicken Broth to cover chicken
whole parsley bout 5 pieces
1 turnip (whole)
1 bay leaf
1 parsnip
2 whole pieces of celey
2 whole carrot
1/2 large onion do not cut up
salt to taste. be careful with the salt if you are going to add chicken broth flavoring, as you know, it can be salty
2 whole clove garlic
5 sprigs whole thyme
10 whole peppercorns

cook until meat is tender, then pour liquid through a strainer to remove all
Let Chicken cool, then remove from bones

5 medium potatoes - peeled and cut into bite size chunks
2 cups chopped celery
1 small onion - chopped
1/2 cup finely diced carrots
1 T. parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Preparation
Cut or shred the cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, add the vegetables and seasonings to the simmering broth. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes

I measure approx. 1/2 cup of flour into a large bowl and mix with water until smooth
then stir into the broth and bring to a boil. You can add more if you like it thicker...

turn down do not bring to a roaring boil

add the pot pie squares to the broth mixture, a few at a time, stirring frequently so they don't stick together, using a wooden spoon only. Stainless steel spoon might tear the noodles

After all have been added, gently cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Add the cut up chicken and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes longer. Cover, and let stand for a few minutes before serving. Pot pie is usually served on dinner plates or in shallow bowls.

This is a hearty winter stew...and loved by everyone who I make it for...

My stepdad loved this stew so much, he actually had a special cutting board made for me, to roll out the noodles on...it was huge

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-07-2008 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
This sounds like chicken and dumplings to me more so than pot pie. To me a pot pie has a crust on the bottom filling on top of that then another crust on top. Essentially making it a 'pie'.

But your recipe sounds delicious and thanks for sharing!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
This sounds like chicken and dumplings to me more so than pot pie. To me a pot pie has a crust on the bottom filling on top of that then another crust on top. Essentially making it a 'pie'.

But your recipe sounds delicious and thanks for sharing!
well, Jaxson, this is the chicken pot pie I grew up with...dumplings are made into balls and dropped into the stew. maybe our parents called it the wrong thing????? Call it chicken stew if you like...

We did the same thing with Beef....using a chuck roast and beef broth & beef boullin in place of the chicken

Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Call it whatever name but it still sounds good and rib sticking.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM

167 posts, read 453,404 times
I take ready made pie crusts and line glass pie pan with bottom crust. I take fork and place alot of holes and put in oven and bake for 7 mins. I take chicken breasts and cook them in water, onion and parsley. After they are done, I shred meat.

I take fresh carrots, celery and onion and place in steamer and cook them. I cut up potatoes into 2 inch chunks and cook them. I take frozen peas and steam them. I take 2 cans of chicken gravy and combine all veggies and chicken along with fresh parsley, salt and pepper and place in bottom pie shell and place pie crust on top and bake in oven for 40 mins. I take egg white and brush onto top pie crust

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
My wife takes veggies (peas/carrots green beans, onions cooked), mix with cream of chicken soup, add diced chicken and she uses bisquick for the topping, bakes it. It's so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes