Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

I was inspired the other day by this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjdJeXgUvaQ
(inspiration at :44)
to try to cook, other than stew, with a bit more fresh veggies, so I bought a cucumber, bell pepper, and onion yesterday but at home, inspiration gave way to desperation in that many of my cookbooks are still packed.

I was going to look up on the Net last night "recipes with ......" (but I got caught up in disproving a conspiracy theorist). Today, however, my eyes laid upon the various recipe cards from Wally World and I started thumbing through them. Granted, they don't have have bell pepper recipes, by similar recipes where I might experiment but substituting.

So maybe that is how things should be arranged in the future. The cookbooks might get packed for the move, but the recipe card box is put with those first to travel items or, at the very least, stuffed in the spice box.

As far as why not the Net? I try to keep my keyboards away from where things might get tipped over, spilled, and end up all sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
I usually find a copy online of a recipe I plan to use, whether it's new or something I remember from one of my cookbooks, and print it out. I keep a couple with me when I go shopping, sometimes deciding what I want to make when I get to the store (sales, outages). When I get home, I don't have to worry about spilling and splashing anything on a device as I cook from the recipe.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
During our last cross country move, we purged A LOT of stuff, including ny fairly large collection of cookbooks. All gone. But I haven't missed them. I rarely used them in the last ten years. The net is SO much easier and more flexible.

I do keep a few recipes printed out and in a folder, along with a few ripped out of magazines.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:45 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I usually find a copy online of a recipe I plan to use, whether it's new or something I remember from one of my cookbooks, and print it out. I keep a couple with me when I go shopping, sometimes deciding what I want to make when I get to the store (sales, outages). When I get home, I don't have to worry about spilling and splashing anything on a device as I cook from the recipe.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I do also. The occasional recipe that is soooo good I know we'll want it again get printed onto 4x6 cards and go in the recipe box.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:47 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I think that the only thing you an cook that contains bell pepper, cucumber, and onion is a green salad.

OK, saute the onion and bell pepper and add a top quality bratwurst. Cook until the brat is done. Pile the brat onions and bell pepper onto a good sesame seed hoagie roll. Top with raw diced cucumber.

Raw cucumber is also excellent on top of ramen. You could cook bell pepper and onion into your ramin, preferable with some cubes of chicken.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:05 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
What in the world? That is a strange combination of vegetables to go out and buy before looking up a recipe. The only thing that I know of that would use all three of those ingredients is maybe a salad.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:48 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,142 times
I go with recipe cards (this includes any recipes I've cut out of magazines, etc.), then the cookbooks, then the net.

Don't know why - probably because that's how I saw my mom do it. Except for the net stuff. No net back then. Heck, we didn't even have a MICROWAVE until I was moved out of the house, and then it took up almost a whole counter!

PS - only thing I could find with those ingredients on the net was salads.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As far as why not the Net? I try to keep my keyboards away from where things might get tipped over, spilled, and end up all sticky.
I somehow manage to take the laptop into the kitchen without incident, thankyouverymuch!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 AM

811 posts, read 1,148,034 times
My iPhone. Online recipes (bookmarked) and a gajillion of my own in my "notes" app, at my fingertips wherever I go.

Tip for magazine clippers or note-card users: take a picture of the page with your phone. Instantly-saved recipe, no scissors needed. Voila!

Thank you to this thread for making me feel incredibly young and savvy. lol

(I do have a serious cookbook addiction though. Eye candy and inspiration... I can't get enough of them. I just don't need them in the kitchen.)

Old 02-15-2016, 09:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Well, I mixed in a quarter of bell pepper, a carrot, half a cucumber, half of a can of diced tomatoes, with my standard bouillabaisse, this time with salmon, sardines, pinot blanc, a golden potato, black eye peas, black beans, split green peas, green olives, lentils, brown rice, and feta cheese. Garlic, paprika, cayenne, and bleu cheese/capers (the rinse of both containers into the mix) and I think some lemon tea in with the stewing water. Half a squeezed lemon and then that in as well to cook (but not to eat). Served with Parmesan cheese and Asadero croutons.

Very tasty and meals for the day, both fresh and left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What in the world? That is a strange combination of vegetables to go out and buy before looking up a recipe. The only thing that I know of that would use all three of those ingredients is maybe a salad.
The grocery store was more a target of opportunity. I had other business in that area and it was just across the street when I was done. I went in needing Romaine and then one thing led to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
.......Tip for magazine clippers or note-card users: take a picture of the page with your phone. Instantly-saved recipe, no scissors needed. Voila!
I do that with my DSLR, both for making copies of scripts.....and those endless papers one should keep records of before they send it to the alphabet agencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
........Thank you to this thread for making me feel incredibly young and savvy. lol ..........
Thank you!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-15-2016 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes