Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,487,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Magicshark, don't know if you still have this thread on subscribe, but if so and you see this, can you tell me how your preserved lemons came out? I am planning to make some too ... found a great recipe for chicken tagine but it calls for preserved lemons. Was going to buy some but my local groceries don't have them and amazon's are insanely expensive. They don't seem too hard to make -- you just have to do it a month before you want to make the recipe!

(Here's the recipe I found: Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives - Amateur Gourmet .)

Dirt Grinder, can you share your lamb tagine recipe? I have some lamb in the freezer -- a big chunk of leg, IIRC.

Thanks!
Its been awhile since I made a batch but I found it incredibly easy. The only problem I found was it made a lit. I thought the homemade preserved lemons were much better then the store bought ones I tried. Although to be honest I only tried one brand of store bought. Anywho good luck with both your lemons and tagine!

Dirt grinder and Almrasuch both recipes look amazing. I seem to be in a cooking rut lately. I need to try both these recipes, expand my repotoire a little. Thanks for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
What can you use preserved lemons for, other than tagine?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,905,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
They'll work wherever you need a salty citrus flavor: aioli, salad dressings, pasta salads, grilled foods, etc.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:30 PM

10,053 posts, read 18,115,895 times
Alm and Dirt Grinder, those recipes sound great! I am really looking forward to trying them.

I started my preserved lemons yesterday (August 1st makes it easy for me to remember when I can USE one of the lemons in a recipe!) ...

The juice level is lower than it looked yesterday so I am going to add a bit more (or a bit of filtered water, which some recipes "allow") to get it up to the top. That's a pint-and-a-half mason jar and I was able to fit 5 Meyer lemons ($1.99 for the 1-lb. bag at Hannaford).

Magicshark, thanks for coming back and reporting on how yours turned out! I hope mine turn out well too. It was an easy process although next time I may use a shorter, "fatter" jar instead of this mason jar.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 PM

939 posts, read 790,275 times
Never made nor used them but they look good.

Here's a short vid:

Preserved Lemons Recipe | Ina Garten | Food Network

Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
Tried to rep ya, DG.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM

619 posts, read 577,392 times
Thanks for this thread! I've made preserved lemons a few times. I usually add some hot paprika with the salt.

It's great with anything that can be enhanced by some lemon zest (well, not cheesecake, obviously), like chicken, stewed greens (I've added them to stewed beet greens so I assume it would work with kale). Excellent in north African style fish stew. Also work as a sandwich spread or mashed into tuna salad.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,487,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Alm and Dirt Grinder, those recipes sound great! I am really looking forward to trying them.

I started my preserved lemons yesterday (August 1st makes it easy for me to remember when I can USE one of the lemons in a recipe!) ...

The juice level is lower than it looked yesterday so I am going to add a bit more (or a bit of filtered water, which some recipes "allow") to get it up to the top. That's a pint-and-a-half mason jar and I was able to fit 5 Meyer lemons ($1.99 for the 1-lb. bag at Hannaford).

Magicshark, thanks for coming back and reporting on how yours turned out! I hope mine turn out well too. It was an easy process although next time I may use a shorter, "fatter" jar instead of this mason jar.
They're looking beautiful!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I like them on salmon

Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,070,909 times
Love these. I also use them in Caribbean style jerk dishes served over rice or rice and beans. I do limes and lemons but mostly limes because they are cheap here and lemons are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes