Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 03:56 PM

20,991 posts, read 28,553,979 times

Advertisements

Would any one especially the southern folks care to share their chicken fried steak recipe?? Hubby and I want to try this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:14 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,788,021 times
Do you make fried chicken? Same process. Seasoned flour, egg wash. Dip in flour first then egg then back in flour and pan fry. Some people use cube steak but I like a better cut off meat. Usually it's served with a white gravy and mashed potatoes.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM

32,725 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Pound the bejebbers out of a piece of meat with a meat mallet. I use round steak.

Dip the meat in a milk egg mixture (buttermilk is good) then dredge in flour, Fry in an oiled pan until the flour is crisp. Once mine has fried, I put it in the oven at 325 while I make gravy and whatever else I am cooking.

I like mine smothered. Lots of sauteed onions and mushrooms over it. I serve mine with beef gravy and mashed potatoes, but a milk gravy is pretty common on chicken fried steak.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks, oh and I only made fried chicken once and it came out horrible because I did not let the oil heat properly.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:28 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,629,816 times
be sure to season your flour dredge with salt and plenty of black pepper.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,788,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Thanks, oh and I only made fried chicken once and it came out horrible because I did not let the oil heat properly.
Yes, it needs to start sizzling as soon as you put it in the pan. You can take a pinch of the flour and drop it in the oil. If it sizzles its ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
be sure to season your flour dredge with salt and plenty of black pepper.
I add more than just salt and pepper. Garlic powder, onion powder, maybe a little cayenne or sweet paprika. Don't be shy cause this is the only time to add flavor.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:48 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,049,924 times
Find cheap lean cut of meat. Bottom round or sirloin is good. Trim any excess fat from the edges (no need to trim it all just any large layers). If its a bottom round roast then slice it about 1/2 thick.

Season liberally with salt and pepper. Use the pointy side of meat tenderizing mallet and go to work on the meat. The object isnt to flatten the steaks its to tenderize them. You can also use one of the needle tenderizers. You should wind up smashing the thickness down some to about 1/2 as thick as they started.

Dredge in flour then beaten egg wash then flour again. Let the steaks rest about 20 mins before cooking.

In a skillet heat up enough oil to cover the bottom then add the steaks in batches and cook until golden brown on each side. When done add a couple more tbsp of oil and the toss in 3 tbsp of flour or so. And stir. You should wind up with an oatmeal like consistency, if not adjust with more flour or oil. When well mixed stir for a min or 2 to cook the flour a bit then slowly add 2 cups of white chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil. Add in 1/2 cup of milk and mix well. When gravy is reduced to desired consistency then salt pepper to taste. If its too thick add more milk in small amounts. If its too thin then heat to reduce it.

Plate the steaks and pour gravy over the top.....win.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,594,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Find cheap lean cut of meat. Bottom round or sirloin is good. Trim any excess fat from the edges (no need to trim it all just any large layers). If its a bottom round roast then slice it about 1/2 thick.

Season liberally with salt and pepper. Use the pointy side of meat tenderizing mallet and go to work on the meat. The object isnt to flatten the steaks its to tenderize them. You can also use one of the needle tenderizers. You should wind up smashing the thickness down some to about 1/2 as thick as they started.

Dredge in flour then beaten egg wash then flour again. Let the steaks rest about 20 mins before cooking.

In a skillet heat up enough oil to cover the bottom then add the steaks in batches and cook until golden brown on each side. When done add a couple more tbsp of oil and the toss in 3 tbsp of flour or so. And stir. You should wind up with an oatmeal like consistency, if not adjust with more flour or oil. When well mixed stir for a min or 2 to cook the flour a bit then slowly add 2 cups of white chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil. Add in 1/2 cup of milk and mix well. When gravy is reduced to desired consistency then salt pepper to taste. If its too thick add more milk in small amounts. If its too thin then heat to reduce it.

Plate the steaks and pour gravy over the top.....win.

man I started salivating reading this. I have to try it out.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 PM

802 posts, read 645,790 times
Pretty much how I do mine: Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

Old 12-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Ironic that you posted this because I was thinking of making her recipe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes