Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi Pik.....I just now saw this and I missed your original "call for help" or I would have sent this earlier! I confess I have only made white bean chili one time in my life - I loved it but my hubby did not - if it isn't red and doesn't have macaroni noodles in it - it's not chili. Besides, he's not really big on chicken. There was a restaurant we used to go to and I would get their white chili instead of salad - I loved it!! Anyway, since I never made it again I don't have the recipe I used. I did however, copy you a link off of Pinterest with a bunch of different recipes hoping you might find one you like. Not sure if you use Pinterest or not - it is very addicting and a fun way to kill some time once in a while. I have found some really good recipes on it, and my niece sends me links to some really yummy stuff too. Here's a link for you to drool over!!!: Pinterest
Sorry your supper didn't turn out - it happens sometimes!!
Thanks C. Well, the salad was great and we both ate the chili, I just would not eat it again. SO did put it up while I was in the shower so I guess it wasn't horrid.

I just asked him about it and he said if he was in prison he would eat it again....wahahahahahaha! The taste was ok, but he did not like the consistency. OK. I can deal with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 05:14 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
The Pioneer Woman has a recipe for White chili......it looks good and I plan to make it for a chili cook-off, at church. Last year my red chili won first prize......lets see how a white one goes over. I don't think white chili is as popular so probably not a prize winner .... but who knows....it looks good. I like her style of presenting a recipe....her chatter...the pictures and the directions. White Chili | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
This is similar to my recipe except I start off sauteing onion and celery, add 1 bottle of salsa verde (medium hot if you can find it!) and a small can (or two) of diced green chilis. Add a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice and a spoonful of sour cream to it when you serve!

Absolutely necessary in my opinion is to crush or smash most of the white beans. It makes all the difference!
Thanks for the idea about the lime juice - I like it!

And I forgot to mention that I dice a rib or two of celery along with the diced onion, so thanks for that, too.

See what happens when you don't use a recipe ...

Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,643 times
Here's my White Chili recipe....glad I had this in my word processing file so I could copy it here and not have to retype it! I love this stuff. I also have a Ground Pork Bean stew which is kind of like a chili but has potatoes in it. Message me if you want that recipe.

White Chili With Chicken and Chilies

2 large fresh chicken breasts, cubed small
2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans chicken broth, (I used reduced sodium, fat free)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (I used this to add a bit of salt to the chili -can be omitted)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies (drain and sometimes I only use part of the this little can)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans cannellini beans or great northern beans, undrained (I use one of each and mash 1/2 of the great northern beans for thickening)

Edited to add: I lightly brown the chicken in the oil then add the rest of the ingredients

Last edited by rural chick; 02-15-2014 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
I love my white chicken chili and will need to make some soon! Thanks for making my mouth water!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
For those of us who don't find cilantro to taste like soap* fresh chopped cilantro is a wonderful garnish for chili of any kind. I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

* http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/di...ious.html?_r=0

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
For those of us who don't find cilantro to taste like soap* fresh chopped cilantro is a wonderful garnish for chili of any kind. I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

* http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/di...ious.html?_r=0
...I love cilantro....

Old 02-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Here's my White Chili recipe....glad I had this in my word processing file so I could copy it here and not have to retype it! I love this stuff. I also have a Ground Pork Bean stew which is kind of like a chili but has potatoes in it. Message me if you want that recipe.

White Chili With Chicken and Chilies

2 large fresh chicken breasts, cubed small
2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans chicken broth, (I used reduced sodium, fat free)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (I used this to add a bit of salt to the chili -can be omitted)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies (drain and sometimes I only use part of the this little can)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or oregano)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans cannellini beans or great northern beans, undrained (I use one of each and mash 1/2 of the great northern beans for thickening)

Edited to add: I lightly brown the chicken in the oil then add the rest of the ingredients
This looks like a great recipe. I don't know what happened with that stuff I made, maybe it was the mix of seasonings that came with it, or maybe I am just so used to 'regular' chili.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Soap? LOL

I know plenty of people who don't like cilantro, but no one's ever said it tasted like soap!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Soap? LOL

I know plenty of people who don't like cilantro, but no one's ever said it tasted like soap!
Oh it's a real thing. Just google cilantro soap - this has actually been the subject of many a scientific study. I adore cilantro. But I also have two friends who specifically state that cilantro tastes like soap to them.

It's linked to genetics and how, neurologically, your sense of smell is hardwired. It is more common in people of Northern European descent.

Cilantro Aversion Linked To Gene For Smell, New Study Finds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes