Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,233,397 times

Advertisements

Kutya (Eastern Europe) sounds and looks odd but I love the stuff.

Ukrainian Christmas Kutya Recipe - Food.com - 77525
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,393,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Pudding means a dessert - not "pudding" consistency.
Quote:
Brandy Butter also has sugar - just like the rum-based hard sauce.
Just trying to provide some basic introductory information to posters not familair with these products, most of which are of British origin and typically branded and described in accordance with British usage and vernacular. Mind the gap.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Just trying to provide some basic introductory information to posters not familair with these products, most of which are of British origin and typically branded and described in accordance with British usage and vernacular. Mind the gap.
Your location states you're in Wales - then I suppose you've had your fair share of puddings in every sense of the word - dessert course, baked custard, "Yorkie Pud," Black Pudding, etc. You've also probably had your fair share of custard poured over your pudding.

There's one dessert that shows-up this time of year that I just can't stand - Christmas Cake. And I'm talking about the version covered in a rock-hard sugar glaze.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Your location states you're in Wales - then I suppose you've had your fair share of puddings in every sense of the word - dessert course, baked custard, "Yorkie Pud," Black Pudding, etc. You've also probably had your fair share of custard poured over your pudding. There's one dessert that shows-up this time of year that I just can't stand - Christmas Cake. And I'm talking about the version covered in a rock-hard sugar glaze.
My Location has said many different things, very few if any of which were true at the time. But my family history is in the Rhondda valley, I am in a Welsh mood (having recently completed a bit of research work on behalf of the Great Plains Welsh Heritage Project), and my family still cooks a variety of traditional Welsh recipes, including Christmas Cake. But this one is wrapped in tea towels and stored for weeks to age, being intermiitently soaked with sherry. There are indeed a variety of things in Welsh and British cooking that are called puddings, some of which would be pudding-like in an American sense and some not. Sauces and toppings too abound, while not always being what an American ear might first imagine. Two popular Welsh dishes are cawl and f-a-g-g-o-t-s. But who without some guide would order either one?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
...cawl and f-a-g-g-o-t-s. But who without some guide would order either one?
LOL - that's what we call meatballs made from the organ meats - a good traditional British dish. However, we never called lamb stew "Cawl."

Old 11-26-2013, 06:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
Quote:
My Location has said many different things, very few if any of which were true at the time. But my family history is in the Rhondda valley, I am in a Welsh mood (having recently completed a bit of research work on behalf of the Great Plains Welsh Heritage Project), and my family still cooks a variety of traditional Welsh recipes, including Christmas Cake. But this one is wrapped in tea towels and stored for weeks to age, being intermiitently soaked with sherry. There are indeed a variety of things in Welsh and British cooking that are called puddings, some of which would be pudding-like in an American sense and some not. Sauces and toppings too abound, while not always being what an American ear might first imagine. Two popular Welsh dishes are cawl and f-a-g-g-o-t-s. But who without some guide would order either one?
Thanks-I love hearing about different cultures and recipes...when we visited the U.K. I learned what bangers and mash was, lol.

The "trifle" recipes look nice, especially with sherry I believe? and crème. The sauces are also creative, and use more currants and interesting fruit.

In New England, I agree, fruitcake if homemade is excellent. Esp. with brandy. I love brazil nuts but they are about 20.00 for a small amount at local shoppes.
Will be preparing the mincemeat tomorrow.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
LOL - that's what we call meatballs made from the organ meats - a good traditional British dish. However, we never called lamb stew "Cawl."
Not much on pork or any kind of liver with or without onions in any shape at all. Peas only make matters worse. But the family does like lamb, so I do make a nice stew from time to time. All veggies welcome. Well, not rudabaga. Cabbage at the end. Always different, but always nice.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks-I love hearing about different cultures and recipes...when we visited the U.K. I learned what bangers and mash was, lol.
Of the rather few English culinary triumphs, these are one. Sunday brunch with hot out of the pan breakfast tomatoes. That's good!

Quote:
The "trifle" recipes look nice, especially with sherry I believe? and crème.
Trifle is English as well, but you could always Welshify it some by adding more liquor. Doesn't matter what kind. My Dad loved port, so that's what we got when I was a kid. There are better choices. Tipsy Cake is basically the US equivalent.

Quote:
The sauces are also creative, and use more currants and interesting fruit.
Yes, currants get used in a lot of things. They are a staple. I don't personally use candied fruits so much, but the currants go quickly.

Quote:
In New England, I agree, fruitcake if homemade is excellent. Esp. with brandy. I love brazil nuts but they are about 20.00 for a small amount at local shoppes.
$20? Should be half that a pound. Must be the extra "pe" in shoppes.

Quote:
Will be preparing the mincemeat tomorrow.
Ah good work! Hope it goes well. I'm meeting with my menu consultants (aka, kids) for lunch tomorrow. Then we'll see what happens for Thursday.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
hi again-Hope everyone had an excellent holiday and so coming up do you plan anything unusual?

I discovered (its not super unusual, but ) Chess pie and Buttermilk pie. My SIL makes traditional southern desserts.

I also learned in Ohio, and that region of mid US, the vinegar pie is sometimes called "transparent" pie. Chess pie is very good, and not cloyingly sweet.

Chess pie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kentucky Transparent Pie ~ Sugar Pies

As kids we always had the standard lemon meringue and fruit pies for holiday, so I think that's why its so fun to explore more unusual stuff. (And I don't really like meringue,lol). Transparent pie is delicious and tastes like a light pecan pie, without the nuts.
How did your meal go? Are your kids open to new recipes?

Old 12-14-2013, 02:57 PM

48,178 posts, read 22,026,263 times
I am thinking about making Indian Pudding for the holiday......corn meal and molasses, spices and eggs cooked in a low oven for several hours. It looks awful...but is delicious. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/indian_pudding/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes