Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,944 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I've told this story here before, but here goes.

I make chili that my husband and I love (as does the rest of my family). It's not super spicy, but well-seasoned with chili powder, cumin, onion, garlic, etc. Sometimes beans, sometimes not, depending on mood and ingredients on hand.

DH shared our chili with his parents one night. They said it was good, ate all we gave them. A couple of weeks later, my father in law told me "I don't like chili with that ... chili ... in it. Just ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, and beans". O.o So I replied, "that's not chili, honey, that's hamburger soup". I did NOT tell him about the time when DH and I were dating and he pulled a container of his mom's "chili" out of the fridge. I asked DH what it was, and he told me it was chili. I told him that it looked like something that backed up into the sink. It was thin and watery, all the ground beef had settled to the bottom, and there were a few random beans mixed in. Bleargh!

Needless to say, DH likes my chili much better than the unseasoned "hamburger soup"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,959 times
I guess I like fake chilli too because I love lots of beans (black, pinto, kidney) in it. But then again, I've been known to put butternut squash in it as well (the texture is delicious). But as my friend rain roosty says...what do I know??!! I just make what I like Everyone is entitled to their own opinon. And I have added masa before to it before. I also love all the spices, particularly cumin and a good healthy dose of hot sauce.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,926,920 times
Well, like BBQ there are totally different and similar recipes and methods used across the U.S. Here's a recipe called Chili Queen. San Antonio has a long history with chili making. Texas certainly has it's share of Chili contests.

Chili queen chili Recipe - Tex-mex Recipes

The Chili Queens of San Antonio, Texas...

The Chili Queens of San Antonio : NPR

Popular Chili Queens Graced San Antonio Plazas - University of the Incarnate Word

In the end, whatever method or recipe you like best is all that matters. I never make chili the same way twice, but I've made many varieties over the years. We use pinto beans down here. I never use kidney beans except in a different ground beef meal we make. I think both are fine for chili. We keep beans and chili separate so each person can mix as they like.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,870,276 times
Just FYI:
There are two major groups that sanction chili cook offs, the Chili Appreciation Society International and the International Chili Society. Neither group allows beans or other fillers in the chili.

http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI%...ule%20Book.pdf

ICS | International Chili Society

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,328,187 times
I like my chili with cocoa, cinnamon and allspice, dumped over spaghetti and topped with (too much) cheese.

Oh, yeah, and that other stuff is good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seasoning needs to be more than chili powder. Garlic, cumin, cayenne, etc. all add to it.
Chili powder, what you buy in the store, contains all that stuff.

Ground chile is another matter, just ground chile peppers.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,926,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I thought you were thinking of a product such as Chili Quik . Chili powder ..at least our local brand does have garlic and other spices in it. I'm shocked! You're correct Ohiogirl.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,905,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
...Neither group allows beans or other fillers in the chili...
Filler? Who says beans are a filler - they are the protein source in my chili.
BTW - I'm not too concerned about what they allow.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,762,668 times
All my chilis as usually w/o beans. Meat only.

On occasion maybe once a year I'll make a batch with pinquito beans

Last chili I made had elk, deer and antelope.

I don't use cumin except in the bean chili

I use a combo of ancho, New Mexico and habanero chile powders. Plus the other standard ingredients.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,842,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like my chili with cocoa, cinnamon and allspice, dumped over spaghetti and topped with (too much) cheese.

Oh, yeah, and that other stuff is good, too.

Cincinnati Chili? Sounds like it and I love me some Cincy Chili.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,955,999 times
The term is chile con carne. chile is the fruit and carne is meat. mix the two and that is chile con carne.

add beans and that is chili beans

leave the meat out and those are "Ranch-style" beans.

Chile con carne

chili beans

and Ranch-style beans...

when you mix in anything other...then that is a "Mingongo" a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes