Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 12:25 PM

354 posts, read 324,706 times

Advertisements

Time to have a thread for recipes that many of us use, so which one is your favorite and what do you like to cook and/or bake the most?

Here is a recipe I came up with years ago when we had our bakery and people bought it when they had a special occasion.

Missouri Mudslide Pie

1/2 c milk
2 lg egg yolks
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tbsp flour, all-purpose
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
6 tbsp cocoa, Dutch
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp gelatin
1/3 c coffee liqueur
1 c whipping cream
4 1/2 oz chocolate cookie pieces
1 one Crust (9") Chocolate Pie Shell, baked
1/2 oz caramel topping
1 Whipped Cream Topping
2 1/2 tbsp Irish Cream

Sprinkle the gelatin over the coffee liqueur and chill until ready to use.

Heat the milk over medium heat to scald. Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar and beat together. Add the flour, cornstarch, and cocoa and blend well. Add the scalded milk gradually and beat together. Cook over medium heat until boiling and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and vanilla and beat until well blended and smooth. Cool to room temperature.

Add the coffee liqueur with gelatin that has been softened and mix well. Whip the whipping cream until firm but not stiff. Fold the whipped cream into mixture until blended well. Fold the cookie pieces in.

Drizzle some caramel over bottom of baked pie shell and pour the cocoa mixture into shell. Refrigerate unti set.

Make the whipped cream topping and add the irish cream gradually and beat until stiff. Spread over top of pie and refriferate for at least one more hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Skordalia...

Well MoHWoman...that's amazing.
I don't cook much these days, working woman, you understand.
But I will file it away for a special occasion!
THANK YOU!

...and...well I'm so enamored of so many of you...

...I'm tempted to do something I've never done...

...I'm thinking of putting into print the generations-old recipe for g-gma's Garlic Dip...known from the "old country" as Skordalia...

...but then again, maybe not.

Y'd have to LOVE garlic.
You'ns don't have such an affinity for garlic...do ya?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
Default I'll bite

Chile Verde -- the real recipe

This is excellent in the crock pot use less broth if you do and your house smells so darn good. Side with some warm, buttered tortillas and some pinto beans. Great for those at home football game gatherings.

Chile Verde - New Mexican Style

2 tbsp olive oil
2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes (pork tenderloin is best)
½ cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup flour (whole wheat is excellent)
2 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes or one 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 cups roasted, peeled and chopped fresh green chiles (In the winter/early spring I use one bag of frozen mild green chiles from Wal*Mart or 2 Bueno Foods Mild chile tubs - thawed and drained)
1-2 fresh jalapeño(s), chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
½ tsp sugar (optional - I don't use it)
(The following is season to taste)
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp cumin

1 cup chicken or beef broth

Heat olive oil in a 4 quart pan with a cover. Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic and stir with the meat. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes.* Add tomatoes, green chiles, jalepeño, salt, pepper, sugar, marjoram and cumin. Mix well. Add broth. Lower heat (about medium low). Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until meat is tender.

Serves 6

* If you decide to cook in a crock pot, brown the meat, onion, garlic and the flour as described in a regular pan then transfer to a pre-warmed crock pot and cook according the remainder of the directions. Remember that a crock pot will need at least 8 hours of cook time for this recipe depending on your crock pot cooking guide. Browning the meat gives great flavor and sweating the onions really helps the flavors as well. If you use the crock pot, you can use a "lesser" cut of meat since it cooks for so long it will be very, very tender.

From The Pink Adobe Restaurant (Santa Fe, NM) cookbook and a friend's recipe who grew up not far from Santa Fe.

Edit 10-13-06 As I wrote in a friends entry (it was her first time to try this recipe):

If you can't get fresh chiles or the frozen variety, you can use chopped canned chiles (mild) in the Mexican isle. Get about 28 or so ounces. Yes, the original recipe only calls for two cups but I love the flavor of them I add more.

Whole wheat is my secret ingredient.

This last month I made a batch for my step-mom and father as my father was just out of the hospital for total knee replacement and it's something they both like. Well I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (drained) but they were of the peeled kind. They added a great element you normally wouldn't get with the original recipe.

Oh and if you are low on cash and can't afford the full amount of the pork, use only 1 pound of pork and add in a can of drained pinto beans. Add a little more salt as the pinto beans will soak it up a bit but then add a bit of chile powder too. It gives it a little more earthyness that the beans can take away.

Edit to make it completely vegetarian, use veggie broth and two cans of pinto beans or a can of pintos and a can of black beans. Since it will be lacking a little in flavor, add in some chile powder and a little extra of cumin.

ANOTHER EDIT! BTW, I use more green chiles than most as I love them...theya re so earthy and so wonderful. Not to mention they are so good for you.

YUM!

Last edited by COflower; 08-09-2007 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: elimination of text that was for my journal/blog instead of for here

Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Default Cubesteak Casserole Italiano

I made this last night just to try something differant with cubesteak.

6 to 8 cubesteak
8 oz tomatoe sauce
1 small to med eggplant
2 small to med zuccini
1 med onion
bayleaf
garlic
salt
pepper
romano cheese fresh grated
8 oz ricotta cheese
8 oz shredded mozzerella-provalone mix
olive oil

Set oven to 375 degrees
slice eggplant zuccini and onion into 1/2" steaks and set aside
in a large fry pan add a few tablespoons of olive oil and brown up cubesteak on med high heat, if cubesteak is'nt cooked through you can add a small amount of water, discard liquid and set aside.
in same fry pan lightly brown eggplant zuccini and onion in a small amount of olive oil.
in a 12X9 baking pan pour just enough sauce in bottom to keep food from sticking.
place one layer of cubesteak in baking pan and top with 1 tablespoon of ricotta cheese followed by a layer of eggplant zuccini and onion and a drizzle of sauce then sprinkle the mozzerella-provalone over top and continue on to the next layer.
season lightly with salt, pepper, garlic and add 1 busted up bayleaf to top and cover with foil.
bake in oven 1 hour.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 PM

73 posts, read 346,718 times
Default Tomato Pie

Here is my favorite Tomato recipe.

Frozen 9" pie shell from store, thawed
3 or 4 thinly sliced tomatoes (peeled)
Half cup sauteed chopped onions
1 & a half cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
12 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
1 & half cups mayo

Mix cheese & mayo together.
In pie shell layer tom slices, topping each layer with a thin layer of the cheese mayo mix, & then a thin layer of bacon & onion. Alternate layers like that until pie shell is filled up & rounded. Then on top of final layer of tomatoes, put a nice thick layer of the remaining cheese mayo mix, & gently press in remaining bacon crumbles & onion.

Bake in preheated 350 oven 35 to 45 min, ( will be a nice lite toasty look when done).

Let cool for about 15 min. Tastes like a wonderful bacon & tomato sandwich!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
...I'm thinking of putting into print the generations-old recipe for g-gma's Garlic Dip...known from the "old country" as Skordalia...

...but then again, maybe not.

Y'd have to LOVE garlic.
You'ns don't have such an affinity for garlic...do ya?

Oh no. Only with chicken, pork, beef roasts, dipping veggies... I just finished dessert and now I want something with garlic. Does it stand up on a cracker? That sounds good with a bit of smoked ham..Are yaz buttered up enough now to share?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,434 times
Default I know, I know, it's another casserole...

The following recipe is one Mama prepares...her own variation of a casserole from chicken and poppy seed. It is classic comfort food and goes nicely with a salad. I prefer it made with cream of chicken soup as the base.

Poultry 546 (Poultry Casserole 046 - Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole 01 - Mama's)

4 chicken breast halves (or equivalent) cooked, boneless, skinless
1 small (10¾-oz.) can condensed cream soup (chicken, mushroom, or celery)
3 tablespoons poppy seed
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ to 1 cup liquid (water, poultry or vegetable stock)
1 sleeve (approximately 40) Ritz® brand or similar buttery crackers, crushed
½ stick of melted butter or margarine (do not use vegetable oil spreads)
salt to taste

1. Cook chicken breasts until done (by boiling, baking, roasting, or broiling; if boiling reserve liquid for next step).
2. Combine condensed soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, poppy seed, (salt), and sufficient liquid to generate a moderately thick base (to attain desired level of moistness in final product).
3. Add cooked chicken, which has been broken into small pieces, and mix thoroughly.
4. Pour into greased 2-quart baking dish and top with crushed crackers.
5. Drizzle melted butter over top and place in 350°F oven to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until mixture is bubbly and cracker crumb crust is golden brown.

NOTE: Additional poppy seed may be added to crushed crackers topping if desired.

Yields 4 Servings

Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Chile Verde - New Mexican Style

Great recipe Coflower!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 AM

5 posts, read 48,071 times
This is NOT spam!

This is the best free recipe website I have ever found.

APHRODISIAC RECIPES AND SUGESTIONS FOR THE PERFECT ROMANTIC EVENING

Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
My mother made what she called American Enchiladas. I normally make it if I have pancake batter left over but you can make it from scratch.

2 cups Pancake batter with 1 cup cornmeal
Add enough milk to make batter thin

1 lb hamburger browned in pan
1 large onion chopped (half for cooking/half for enchilada)
1- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 - 1 tsp chili powder
garlic powder
Grated cheese
eggs
Mix first 5 ingredients together in pan and simmer.

Make small pancakes, set aside

Assemble on plate..
pancake, hamburger, shredded cheese, onion and then fry egg and place on top to melt cheese. Serve immediately

You can use leftover chili. Be sure to make the pancakes small (4")or you won't be able to eat it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes