Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,507 times

Advertisements

I just closed on a house last Friday but regretted it ever since. Its now Monday but I still haven't received the house keys yet from the agent. Is there any way to get out of buying this house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,996,099 times
You closed, it's your's. Just keep bugging your agent for the keys.

It's understandable to feel tense, as you've just undertaken a HUGE purchase. You'll get over it once you move in and the projects begin.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,601,089 times
As Narfcake indicated, if it closed and deed recorded, then you bought it, too late to back out. Having the keys or not does not matter.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
Why in the world didn't you get the keys at closing?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM

761 posts, read 3,420,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Very good question..

Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,601,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It may depend on the state/location where it closed. You are from NJ, so keys are handed over at the closing table. Here in AZ and other states, buyer & seller do not meet at a closing table. Keys are delivered by the selling agent after they get notice from the title company that the deed has recorded. It may be that the agent in this case was not yet able to schedule a time with the buyer to hand over keys.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,236,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGZ View Post
I just closed on a house last Friday but regretted it ever since. Its now Monday but I still haven't received the house keys yet from the agent. Is there any way to get out of buying this house?
Yeah, felt that way right after I signed the papers on my housee (first time buyer). "What have I done?" was a common question I asked myself. Got over it after I settled in and started painting and putting in new curtains.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
It may depend on the state/location where it closed. You are from NJ, so keys are handed over at the closing table. Here in AZ and other states, buyer & seller do not meet at a closing table. Keys are delivered by the selling agent after they get notice from the title company that the deed has recorded. It may be that the agent in this case was not yet able to schedule a time with the buyer to hand over keys.
That would make me so nervous. I would have nightmares of what may be going on in the house until I got the keys.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM

848 posts, read 1,955,882 times
As others stated, not likely now, but you should call the agent and demand the keys. I don't know if you're in a state that gives you 72 hour out, but your time is short if thats the case.

Personally, in a state that transfers at closing, I would not have closed without the keys. Some sellers and agents will play little games for a few hundred or few thousand dollars and put pressure on the buyer. When they finally understand there will be no closing until things are rectified it's amazing what they can do in a very short amount of time.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:22 PM

15,599 posts, read 40,520,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGZ View Post

This is a big purchase and anxiety is totally normal. What most buyers find is that the relax once they make a room "theirs." What I mean by that is get a paint color you love and get one room looking just how YOU like it.

The thought of moving and unpacking can be so overwhelming for some people, but typically after a month, the anxiety goes away. This is a huge transition. Cut yourself some slack, accept that the anxiety is normal, get moved in, and then start making the place yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate